Does anyone know anything about a Chrome Book laptop (1 Viewer)

"Laptop" simply refers to the design, i.e., it sits on top of your lap, originally designed for field work. The design has been around even before Windows became an OS. Windows (or any OS for that matter) doesn't make a computer a "PC", a "desktop", or a "laptop".

I picked up a refurb HP 15-bs134wm - Scarlet Red with touchscreen features at Walmart.com for $230. It's been great.

1581811949329.png

Unless you're just into it for the fun, for the time and expense of tinkering with a Chromebook,I'd go see what refurbs are in stock. They've got tons of Dell Latitudes.

Last edited:
"Laptop" simply refers to the design, i.e., it sits on top of your lap, originally designed for field work. The design has been around even before Windows became an OS. Windows (or any OS for that matter) doesn't make a computer a "PC", a "desktop", or a "laptop".
There is a difference which is why there is a widely accepted vernacular used for a (Windows) Laptop, Chromebook and MacBook. Technically, they're all "laptops". Yet they're also referred to by their differing names so people are not confused. Apparently that still doesn't prevent some people from being confused or deliberately obtuse or perhaps even new to the world of personal computers?

Actually, the design is now known as a "Notebook" with only the larger versions being still called "Laptops". Chromebooks are Notebook computers.

There are also "Tablets" that do not come with an attached keyboard.

yes! I have one in my latest Laptop and love it. 6 years ago when I bought the Chromebook they were out of my price range though. The Chromebook is also light enough to move around with one hand though and I can honestly say that after 6 years it still operates exactly the way it did right out of the box. I got it at BB on Black Friday and it was probably the best 200 I have ever spent on a device.

if the desire is a cheap , lightweight, long battery life windows base laptop look at the Lenovo model $190 we have them out for web users on a domain and they do well

Google has strict requirements for any manufacturer that wants to make a Chromebook. They don't want anyone to be able to load Windows or any other OS.

I picked up a refurb HP 15-bs134wm - Scarlet Red with touchscreen features at Walmart.com for $230. It's been great.

1581811949329.png

Unless you're just into it for the fun, for the time and expense of tinkering with a Chromebook,I'd go see what refurbs are in stock. They've got tons of Dell Latitudes.

I think this is the total way to go. I view most of my computers as more disposable anyway. Since I get the urge for a new one ever couple of years may as well go the refurb route. Both my desktop and my laptop currently are refurbished models and I have more than got my money out of them with no problems that I have been able to see.

I think this is the total way to go. I view most of my computers as more disposable anyway. Since I get the urge for a new one ever couple of years may as well go the refurb route. Both my desktop and my laptop currently are refurbished models and I have more than got my money out of them with no problems that I have been able to see.

Absolutely, I only buy refurbs also. They still come with a warranty and there are often "refurbs" that have never been used. If a manufacturer sells systems to a re-seller like Best Buy etc, and the re-seller returns them, they can't be sold as new anymore, even if never opened.

Absolutely, I only buy refurbs also. They still come with a warranty and there are often "refurbs" that have never been used. If a manufacturer sells systems to a re-seller like Best Buy etc, and the re-seller returns them, they can't be sold as new anymore, even if never opened.

Indeed. I bought a refurb iMac for a few hundred less than new and it lasted over 8 years before finally giving out. It was the workhorse in my house and 3-4 of us in the family used it daily. My next purchase will most likely be a refurb as well. I am thinking of building a PC. My kids prefer Windows for gaming and whatnot. I'd love to get an iMac Pro, but $$$. We'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom