Does anyone know anything about a Chrome Book laptop (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
I have a friend who brought me a Chromebook laptop. It uses Amazon. Boots straight to a screen for signing into the internet. No Operating system like Microsoft or Linex. It also has no function keys on the laptop itself. And, when you start the bootup process, it has no screen where you can get to the BIOS to change the boot order where you can boot up from a Windows CD to format the HD, and install a normal OS.

Is there another way to do this? It has USB ports on it. If I were to get a USB CD drive, would that allow it to boot up with the CD over whatever OS Shell they have on this Chromebook? Or, is there something else I need to do to fix this problem. I'm an A+ Tech, but I have never run into this situation before.

I’ve had one that’s still runs great after six years. It’s a great machine but I’ve never tried to tinker with any of that and honesty I’ll be a little surprised if it can be done at all since all that stuff is server side.

I mainly only use mine for surfing and writing.

It's a bad idea, but it can be done. A Chromebook is built to run web apps, so it generally doesn't have the HDD space or RAM to run Windows or store local files that you would use Windows to build. You can boot from a USB, but I've heard it takes a couple of steps to do so. Also, the keyboard really isn't configured to work with Windows. Again, it's just a bad idea. What specifically do you need Windows for? There might be an app that you can use instead.

It's a bad idea, but it can be done. A Chromebook is built to run web apps, so it generally doesn't have the HDD space or RAM to run Windows or store local files that you would use Windows to build. You can boot from a USB, but I've heard it takes a couple of steps to do so. Also, the keyboard really isn't configured to work with Windows. Again, it's just a bad idea. What specifically do you need Windows for? There might be an app that you can use instead.
It's a very nice little laptop. She has 2. She wanted to take the app that's on it now off, and put Windows on, if she could get a cheap copy of it. I told her she could always go with linux if she wanted to. Then, I looked at the laptop she brought me. There's no function keys, and it doesn't come up to a screen where I can get to the BIOS to change the boot order. I figured it didn't have a lot of RAM, and was wondering about the HD. Thanx. guys

I’ve had one that’s still runs great after six years. It’s a great machine but I’ve never tried to tinker with any of that and honesty I’ll be a little surprised if it can be done at all since all that stuff is server side.

I mainly only use mine for surfing and writing.

I had one too. Basically a highly portable web device I used when I was traveling a lot on the oil spill case. Needed a device to check out the BTL :hihi: and was already carrying heavy work-issued Dell.

Maybe he wants to run "Linex"? :covri:

There are benefits to not having the OS on the units. The time from when you open it to when it’s ready to work is amazing fast. Plus you don’t have to worry about the antivirus stuff and constant updates.

I’ve had a couple since they first came out. If you just want to surf the web or do stuff on google docs they are pretty cool. I like mine

I really like the older Chromebook we have. Very basic, runs well even with several windows open. The only problem I have is that I do my household budgeting/billpaying organization with MS Access. I have found a way to manage it using just the Google Sheets, but it is not as neat. MS Access is probably the ONLY thing that I need windows for, though.

My son got a Chromebook from a friend a few years ago and for what it does, it does quite well. It's pretty useful and larger than most laptops, and quite easy to use. For quick browsing and creating word documents, it's great.

As others here have stated well, I wouldn't try modifying it.

Good luck. Even if you manage to get a copy on Windows installed, you're probably not going to find the drivers for things like the trackpad, keyboard, etc since that is not a Windows laptop. It's not designed for Windows, so the hardware/software isn't going to support the things for which you would typically use Windows. A Chromebook is a glorified web browser and should be used as such.

If you still want to take a stab at it, then I would start here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom