Does anyone know why they don’t wear those safety cushions over the helmet during games? (1 Viewer)

Is it just about aesthetics?

If those reduce concussions, why not wear them at all times?
It could be logo placement issues. For a league based off of brand identity where they’re star attractions are obscured facially the last thing they need is for their team’s identity to be compromised. I’m surprised most logos have survived the onslaught of helmet options available now that seem to reduce more areas that the logos need to be. Most teams just overlap those holes and ports anyway.

Because it looks like this:

little-giants-bubble-boy.gif

It’d be the ugliest helmets ever and hard to watch bubble suit appearances if they did.

Its ideal for the league to create the proper safety cushions in normal size inside of the helmets.

I think it was on the Pat McAfee Show the other day where they showed a big college team figured out an AC fan in their helmets...
The Guardian caps are good for practice, but not sure that players would like that for games?

The league isn't actually concerned about player safety.

I have to say that was my first thought when I first saw teams utilitizng these ridiculous looking things. If it keeps players safe in practice, why arent they using them in games?

Then it becomes pretty obvious why they arent using them in games.....Its because they are ridiculous looking. And optics > player safety.

This seems like PERFECT evidence for lawsuits from players down the road.

This is something that absolutely perplexes me. There's a saying about when there's a problem look to see who's profiting from it. I just can't see who it would be except for the companies making the helmets. It's obvious the current helmets in use need to be improved.

They don't do anything to stop concussions. This is all just safety theater. A concussion occurs when your brain slams into the interior of your skull due to a collision. No amount of padding will help that.

I actually went to an event once where Dr. Julian Bales was the speaker. He's a Louisiana native and was then head of the department of neurosurgery at West Virginia University. He had also worked with Bennet Omalu on CTE research.

Anyway, he basically said that while everyone should always be trying to make the game safer, there's not really much that can be done externally or equipment wise to curb concussions without changing the game completely. A game in which gigantic men smash into each other at high rates of speed is going to cause concussive and sub-concussive brain injury, even if their heads are wrapped in pillows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom