Does Brunell wear #8? (1 Viewer)

There are so few numbers compared to the roster size. Unlike baseball or hockey its not very practical to retire a jersey number.

Who knows maybe the jersey number could bring him some luck. Perhaps he will just have to buy Archie a Steak Dinner or something.

I would not let him wear it for his own sake. I can't imagine the hell he would catch for wearing that number if he is called upon to play and performs poorly.

Yeah, 'cause Archie never stank it up wearing the beloved #8. HA! Tell that to someone who didn't see the Saints in the old days. Believe me, I love Archie, but it's only a number.

you would think that archie led us to 10 superbowls......:)

thank you, look up his numbers..theyre not even good...funny b/c people used to say how overrated Vick was and people only liked him for his ability..sounds the same to me..oh and Vick actually went to the playoffs and won

im not trying to hate on Archie,and also detest Vick for what he did, but i just dont get the whole "Greatest Saint Ever" thing

i would rather not see someone wear #'s 7,51,57and 34:)

When the Saints signed QB Jeff Blake, who was a major free agent acquisition, he was told that #8 was off limits. I suspect (and hope) that they do the same with Brunell. Blake took the #18.

By the way, you folks who say that #8 is "only a number" and that "Archie wasn't any good" should be banned from being a Saints fan. This is pure blasphemy!

if Brusslesprout can wear 57 why can't brunell wear 8?

You guys who think #8 is just a number for the Saints just don't get it... and you never will. So there really is no point in arguing the point.

Suffice it to say, no one else will ever wear #8 again as a Saint.

And just to show how classy Archie was... #8 wasn't even his choice as a jersey number. A kicker wore is college number, #18. But rather than ask for it, he took #8, and even after the kicker was cut, Manning never asked to switch. He was happy that they gave him #8.

And these were the days before NFL Properties existed, so there wouldn't have been the sales repercussions (see Jerry Porter when he tried to change his number last year with the Raiders), that players have to deal with today.

But I realize that there are some who despise nostalgia or could care less about history, so that's why the difference in opinions.

Yeah, 'cause Archie never stank it up wearing the beloved #8. HA! Tell that to someone who didn't see the Saints in the old days. Believe me, I love Archie, but it's only a number.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. Archie never threw an incompletion or an interception. :jauhnny: Like a guy below said, if you don't understand by now then there really is no point in further discussion.

you would think that archie led us to 10 superbowls......:)

I can see by your age that you never even watched him play, so you do not have the experience of what he meant to Saints fans in that era.

You guys who think #8 is just a number for the Saints just don't get it... and you never will. So there really is no point in arguing the point.

Suffice it to say, no one else will ever wear #8 again as a Saint.

And just to show how classy Archie was... #8 wasn't even his choice as a jersey number. A kicker wore is college number, #18. But rather than ask for it, he took #8, and even after the kicker was cut, Manning never asked to switch. He was happy that they gave him #8.

And these were the days before NFL Properties existed, so there wouldn't have been the sales repercussions (see Jerry Porter when he tried to change his number last year with the Raiders), that players have to deal with today.

But I realize that there are some who despise nostalgia or could care less about history, so that's why the difference in opinions.

Actually it wasn't a kicker...it was before the days when the number rules went in effect...Archie college number 18 was worn by saftey Hugo Hollis. I actually had the "Gridweek" magazine Pre-K (guess it is somewhere at the bottom of the Gulf now) when Archie was drafted in a #18 jersey...but it was just a hand colored picture of Archie Who in his Ole Miss jersey.

thank you, look up his numbers..theyre not even good...funny b/c people used to say how overrated Vick was and people only liked him for his ability..sounds the same to me..oh and Vick actually went to the playoffs and won

im not trying to hate on Archie,and also detest Vick for what he did, but i just dont get the whole "Greatest Saint Ever" thing

i would rather not see someone wear #'s 7,51,57and 34:)
You don't even know what the NFL was like back then. Check out some of the numbers of other QBs in that era. There were no Marino, P Manning or Favre type numbers back then. It was a different league then (heck, many of his seasons were played during the old 14 game regular seasons as well).

A little advice to the younger members here who are obviously uninformed as to Manning's career and what he meant to the Saints and their fans. You should learn the entire history of your team and not just the span you have experienced. It would make you a much more informed fan and would help you not looking foolish when posting here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom