Does Free Agency frustrate anyone else? (1 Viewer)

t-rex23

I Owe Drew
Reaction score
this isn't a we should sign more people thread or the front office doesnt know what they are doing thread.

i know we dont have money for big signings and free agency isnt how you build a truly great team. you have to develop players as well which we are good at.

knowing all that, its still frustrating every year during the free agency period. it always feels like we are victims to the salary cap while teams like the 49ers and even the seahawks are able to basically do whatever they want to get better

this is just a rant and probably shouldnt be its own thread but i have to voice this frustration somewhere other than my wife.

she needs a break after last season.

You realize the 49ers have only signed 1 FA - Glenn Dorsey, a possible upgrade to their backup defensive line. Seattle has signed a marginal DE in Avril and one of their RFA.

Rant is unwarranted and this is what FA will probably look like for a while as the NFL tightens their belt in terms of salary cap.

49ers up againts the cap too. Same for Falcons, Steelers, Ravens, Jets, and many others.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it frustrates me because it isn't football season and we can't watch the saints play ball. I have no control over who gets signed or released so I don't worry about that too much. I just want to watch football and see Brees and Payton light up defenses.

I'm sure your wife appreciates the rest but I do think you're missing the bigger picture. Look at the perennially good teams around the NFL; I mean the Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Giants. How many moves did those teams make the first two days of Free Agency? Pats got a relatively cheap Amendola. That's about it. Why? The good teams know that most of the deals done at start of FA are bad ones. There are a variety of reasons why value is hard to come by but suffice it to say that getting value out of your $$$ is crucial to running a consistent contender.

You mentioned the 9ers but their roster is only strong because of the players they've drafted. In fact the performances of their FA signings - Moss, Rodgers, Ginn etc have been decidedly mixed.

So don't get frustrated. Know that we're in good company and that by NOT splashing out in FA we're doing the right thing to remain a contender.

No. We have a good player visiting today; quit playing the victim card.

Not frustrated , I agree with reports that expensive off-season signings rarely lead to SB wins. Yes there are exceptions. I told myself this offseason that I would check out after the SB and not really keep up with Saints til like July. Guess I'll try that next year. This time really only benefits the team and not me as a fan.

You're only frustrated because of your own expectations. The Saints do this every year and every year we are competitive (barring Goodell infringement). We have the occasional splash, Vilma, Shockey, Sharper, Sproles, Grubbs, etc. but those guys for the most part were bargains for the Saints cause Loomis is a crafty shopper.

If you're frustrated it's cause you don't understand or refuse to accept how the Saints play the FA game.

» Over the Cap- NFL Salary Cap Space 2013

This isn't exact, but if it's close, then the 49ers have less cap space than we do. And don't forget, they got lucky on a 2nd year QB who's still on a 2nd round rookie contract. After this season they'll have to pay him. They just lost their best Safety too. They might be hoping Dorsey will take over for and aging Justin Smith. If that's the case, their defense just isn't as good. it's amazing they have no cap space since the big talk is how they've "rebuilt through the draft".

People expect too much in FA. We're winners now for the most part. Big moves are rare for winning programs.

Look at the Patriots. They had a fixed value price on Welker, he wanted more, then wouldn't budge. So, they signed Danny A, who's a few years younger. We'll see if it's a good move or not, but so far that's all they've done.

Yes I deff agree I think we should of cut Smith,Harper and kept Vilma. Then go after 2 corners and a good Saftey..then we should sign line help Cliff Aviral Or Osi and on offense Tackle sense we lost Bushrod.and how n the heck do u let Chase Daniel leave. Ugh

I can understand some frustration. It's hard as a fan to sit and watch teams like Tampa continue to make themselves better with young talent that warrants a good contract (all pro safety Goldson), 49'ers (trade a 6TH ROUNDER for boldin, add a young potential talent in Dorsey), Seahawks (trade for harvin, sign avril), and others. The good news though, is no one else in the division is making any big moves other than Tampa. I agree contenders are built through the draft and fill in with value vets in FA, but frustration AS A FAN is understandable.

I can understand some frustration. It's hard as a fan to sit and watch teams like Tampa continue to make themselves better with young talent that warrants a good contract (all pro safety Goldson), 49'ers (trade a 6TH ROUNDER for boldin, add a young potential talent in Dorsey), Seahawks (trade for harvin, sign avril), and others. The good news though, is no one else in the division is making any big moves other than Tampa. I agree contenders are built through the draft and fill in with value vets in FA, but frustration AS A FAN is understandable.

Also means though, that we are still in contending phase, not rebuilding. So there are positives to be had! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom