Does intentional grounding not get called anymore? (1 Viewer)

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Winston had like three that weren't called yesterday. One was so obvious, he threw the ball to the feet of an O lineman behind the los. Not mentioned by the announcers or a replay, not mentioned by Payton, even the defense didn't call it out. Just seemed odd...

I don't think it should even be a penalty. You're giving up on the play, why isn't that sufficient?

So every time someone is close to getting a sack, the QB can just give up on the play? :idunno:
Because it's a loss of down, and yardage... Should've been a sack...

Winston had like three that weren't called yesterday. One was so obvious, he threw the ball to the feet of an O lineman behind the los. Not mentioned by the announcers or a replay, not mentioned by Payton, even the defense didn't call it out. Just seemed odd...

I saw one that I thought was grounding. I remember there were a couple of others that looked like possibly grounding but probably not enough to call. One, I remember, went straight to the feet of a lineman - but there was a back about 5 yards behind the lineman and the hit from the Saints rush knocked Winston's throwing motion down.

I don't think it should even be a penalty. You're giving up on the play, why isn't that sufficient?

Because it negates a sack. You don’t lose the yardage if the QB can just throw it away.

That’s why the intentional grounding penalty is loss of yards and loss of down. It’s like your team got the sack without the stat.

Because it negates a sack. You don’t lose the yardage if the QB can just throw it away.

That’s why the intentional grounding penalty is loss of yards and loss of down. It’s like your team got the sack without the stat.

I was originally for the penalty but while discussing it with my uncle he convinced me to his side and I can't remember what he said to do it so I can't use it to explain my position! You shouldn't be able to negate the sack so it makes sense.

I suppose if we were considering player safety, maybe IG would be a rule to get rid of. But an incomplete pass also stops the runoff of the clock, I don't know how you'd make up for that.

I think Winston got away with 1, but there were a couple where there was an eligible receiver in the area.

I wasn't listening to WWL during the game, but someone mentioned that Strief and Deuce were going on about the particular one I was talking about...

There were 3 instances that were questionable. The one that was the worst was when he threw it out of bounds while in the pocket and only a saints player was within 10 yards of that throw.

He was outside the tackles box and the ref would argue the defender caused the eventual target of the throw...

There were 3 instances that were questionable. The one that was the worst was when he threw it out of bounds while in the pocket and only a saints player was within 10 yards of that throw.
I agree. Announcers nor Payton questioned it; that baffled me as well.

I know with Winston its sometimes hard to tell if a pass is grounding or just inaccurate but I agree the one he threw at the feet of a lineman behind the line of scrimmage I thought for sure would be a flag.

They used to not call grounding very often. Before they made the rule that the ball had to pass the line of scrimmage, Steve Young used to scramble 20 yds behind the LOS with defense in pursuit and just throw the ball into the dirt when nothing opened up. Used to drive me crazy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom