Does Joe Lombardi run the Saints offense better than Joe Brady (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I know Run CMC is huge part of what they do in Carolina, but when I watch the Chargers on offense, it replicates more of how potent the Saints system can be when you have the right personnel in it. I think Carolina is missing a critical piece of a Payton influenced offense which is the offensive line and a healthy running game. Any thoughts?

There are two variables: scheme and players.

Neither Lombardi nor Brady ran exactly te same offense as Payton.

Brady prioritizes the work of McCaffrey, as a way to protect his quarterback.

Lombardi, with a much better quarterback, uses the long ball even more than Payton, and Aaron Stecker is a good versatile running back, but not at the level of McCaffrey or Kamara.

I’ve watched most of the Charger games this season and I’ve been really impressed. The most impressive thing for me has been tempo. Drew was a master of it. SP’s offense is at its best when the rhythm is there and Herbert and this offense has that. Watching Herbert and the Chargers play reminds me of Drew from the ‘06-‘12 years when he had the touch and strength to bomb away and be a master at the intermediate underneath stuff. That’s exactly where Herbert is now and I think there is no better OC in the league than Lombardi for that. If you haven’t watched the Chargers play yet, try to catch them. It’ll make you home sick for Drew’s best years. They are the LA Saints in a way.

I know Run CMC is huge part of what they do in Carolina, but when I watch the Chargers on offense, it replicates more of how potent the Saints system can be when you have the right personnel in it. I think Carolina is missing a critical piece of a Payton influenced offense which is the offensive line and a healthy running game. Any thoughts?
The OL and a strong run game get you a long ways no matter what you call your offense. We had too many years too where the OL was soft in the run game and we struggled to pick up a yard on the ground.

Pretty much after the Nicks and Evans duo was broken up and we were trying guys like De La Puenta at the C position…

I’ve watched most of the Charger games this season and I’ve been really impressed. The most impressive thing for me has been tempo. Drew was a master of it. SP’s offense is at its best when the rhythm is there and Herbert and this offense has that. Watching Herbert and the Chargers play reminds me of Drew from the ‘06-‘12 years when he had the touch and strength to bomb away and be a master at the intermediate underneath stuff. That’s exactly where Herbert is now and I think there is no better OC in the league than Lombardi for that. If you haven’t watched the Chargers play yet, try to catch them. It’ll make you home sick for Drew’s best years. They are the LA Saints in a way.
I agree they are impressive and fun to watch. Bills are the same way.

Unfair question since there is no comparison between Herbert and Darnold. One is a future Hall of Famer, the other is just a guy.
How is it unfair?

Drew had commented on it , he was gushing over Justin Herbert and had high praise for the QB having watched him in team drills and part of a weekly QB competition they do. You could see it in Drew's eyes when he was talking about their offense and he was smiling knowing it grew from Saints roots and complimented Joe on having a potent offense with QB that can make all the throws. They are a force in the AFC no doubt

There are two variables: scheme and players.

Neither Lombardi nor Brady ran exactly te same offense as Payton.

Brady prioritizes the work of McCaffrey, as a way to protect his quarterback.

Lombardi, with a much better quarterback, uses the long ball even more than Payton, and Aaron Stecker is a good versatile running back, but not at the level of McCaffrey or Kamara.

Dang dude, Steckers gotta be at least 45 at this point.

the one that got away lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom