Does LSU Basketball coach yet? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Just was wondering if they had made the selection yet or whom they had contacted yet. Thanks for any input.

nope I haven't even heard of any posibilities other then A. Grant from VCU.

I would like to throw out 3 outside the box guys.

#1- Randy Livingston (I heard a radio show over the weekend that was talking about NBA players that will be head coaches one day and someone said Randy would make a great head coach just not sure if he is ready to retire yet.

#2- Collis Temple he would lock down the local area.

#3- Geno Auriemma ( yea he coaches women but he can coach and has a huge name)

Johnnu Jones at North Texas and Butch Pierre are the two ther names that I have heard as rumored. Butch will definitely get an interview. Jones is a former player and former coach at LSU under Dale Brown. Grant is more than a possibility since sources have indicated that he is very interested in returning to the SEC.

Johnnu Jones at North Texas and Butch Pierre are the two ther names that I have heard as rumored. Butch will definitely get an interview. Jones is a former player and former coach at LSU under Dale Brown. Grant is more than a possibility since sources have indicated that he is very interested in returning to the SEC.

I dont see either Jones or Pierre as having any real shot, although I have seen some reports about Jones being the pick. I just dont see it at all. Jones will forever be linked to the Lester Earl fiasco and would be a very unpopular pick with a lot of fans. Pierre is too linked to Brady to get the job.

I would like to see them get Tony Bennet from Washington State. He turned down Indiana and has some Louisiana ties through his wife. He is an awesome coach.

I think the pick will be Travis Ford from U Mass. Just a hunch from all I have read. It seems the guys they might really want, Bennet or Grant, might not be that interested.

I dont see either Jones or Pierre as having any real shot, although I have seen some reports about Jones being the pick. I just dont see it at all. Jones will forever be linked to the Lester Earl fiasco and would be a very unpopular pick with a lot of fans. Pierre is too linked to Brady to get the job.

I would like to see them get Tony Bennet from Washington State. He turned down Indiana and has some Louisiana ties through his wife. He is an awesome coach.

I think the pick will be Travis Ford from U Mass. Just a hunch from all I have read. It seems the guys they might really want, Bennet or Grant, might not be that interested.
Well, Dale Brown and Jones have both been cleared of wrongdoing by the NCAA. Grant would be a good hire, but Travis Ford would be a phenomenal hire. I can't believe that LSU and Ford are even being mentioned in the same sentence. That's a big time hire and really giving the sport attention it hasn't received n decades.

Well, Dale Brown and Jones have both been cleared of wrongdoing by the NCAA. Grant would be a good hire, but Travis Ford would be a phenomenal hire. I can't believe that LSU and Ford are even being mentioned in the same sentence. That's a big time hire and really giving the sport attention it hasn't received n decades.

I dont think the fact that Jones was cleared makes much difference. LSU got tagged with major violations on Brown's and his watch and that has left a sour taste for many assoicated with the program.

I am not saying Jones should not have a shot or that he would be a bad coach. I am just saying he doesnt have near enough support to get the job. LSU folks are looking for a fresh face and that will exclude Pierre and Jones.

I think the LSU basketball job is semi attractive enough to get a good name. The basketball facilities are not great and the fan support is kind of poor. On the other hand, its not a high pressure job and Louisiana is a tremendously fertile recruiting area. On top of that, LSU returns a pretty decent group of players next year that could easily get to the tournament, particularly if Randolph stays another year.

I think we will know inside the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the information. I don't know much about any of the coaches yall have mentioned except for Bennet and Jones. Where does Grant coach at? Thanks

Pat Forde is reporting that LSU will name Travis Ford as the new head coach. Heard it on Spanning the Globe on the Herd. Sorry no link. Jimmy Ott (Baton Rouge sports talk) said Anthony Grant did not seem interested and did not make himself available to talk to the hiring firm.

I heard that Anthony Grant wants the Marquette job...but I was hoping LSU would interest him a little. But it is hard to turn down Marquette. I mean Big East, basketball school, etc.

I felt so bad for him last year when he was the coach of Florida for like 20 hours after Donovan left to coach the Magic.

I did not know Ford was a candidate. In fact, I am kind of shocked he would leave, but I would hope LSU>UMass, but he took the minutemen further than LSU has ever been in the NIT...

I am now hearing rumors Mike Brey from Notre Dame might get the LSU job. Other "rumors' suggest the deal was almost done with Travis Ford but that the search opened up when Alleva became AD. Brey has ties to both Duke and LSU. He is supposed to be a very bright coach who turned things around at Notre Dame.

Whether its Brey or someone else I think it (the search) will not last past the weekend. LSU is going to move fast now that the final four is over. I hope.

I remember Mike Brey from my days at Northwestern Sate. He played there for awhile and then went to Duke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom