does rivers remind anyone else of.. (1 Viewer)

Mark Fields was my favorite Saints player. He bought me a jersey and autographed it and gave it to me. I was about twelve then and I couldn't find a jersey of his to fit me and after one of many games I was in the garage where the players come out he gave me the jersey that fit me. It was very cool.

Fields was the coolest you could ever meet. I used to take my son to get autographs at the parking lot entrance after mini-camps and we talked to alot of Saints players and Mark was by far the coolest and friendliest guy I met there, or anywhere for that matter. One of only 2 players I was ever happy for that they found success after leaving the team. Sammy knight was great guy to talk to too, but nothing like #55

I think the biggest problem was that we had such high expectations. The dude was a total physical freak. With his size, he was still faster than any DB on our team. I remember him chasing down Issac Bruce. Madden couldn't believe it. But his play didn't support his athletism.

He finally started to get it together in 2000. But we had to let him go in the off-season because his salary was gonna be off the charts.

Wasn't he sick the same time as Sam Mills? Anybody know how he is doing?

Well maybe my memory is fuzzy but i thought Fields was pretty good for us I hated to see him leave.How can any one say rivers will be better or worse than him Rivers aint played a down in the big boys league.I for one hope we get him and hope he is L.T. Derreck Thomas and Ricky Jackson all roled up into one but i wish that of any LB. we may draft.

Yeah, I remember hating to see Fields go as well.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keith-rivers?id=302

"Compares To: KENDRELL BELL-Kansas City...Rivers might have garnered lots of postseason honors in 2007, but there was something amiss in his play. He is not the most instinctive open-field tackler and seemed to be favoring his nagging ankle problems, thus limiting his range and pursuit skills. Five tackles behind the line of scrimmage do not warrant first-team All-American honors. He has the frame that you look for in an outside linebacker, along with the quickness, but there are legitimate questions as to whether he has the valid instincts or lower body power to be an every-down player. Like Bell, he can make the big play, but there needs to be more consistency in his play. With a marginal feel for the passing game, especially when working in the zone, the jury is out on this guy, much like it has been on Bell since earlier in his career. Can this be the "boom or bust" pick of the 2008 linebacker class?"

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keith-rivers?id=302

"Compares To: KENDRELL BELL-Kansas City...Rivers might have garnered lots of postseason honors in 2007, but there was something amiss in his play. He is not the most instinctive open-field tackler and seemed to be favoring his nagging ankle problems, thus limiting his range and pursuit skills. Five tackles behind the line of scrimmage do not warrant first-team All-American honors. He has the frame that you look for in an outside linebacker, along with the quickness, but there are legitimate questions as to whether he has the valid instincts or lower body power to be an every-down player. Like Bell, he can make the big play, but there needs to be more consistency in his play. With a marginal feel for the passing game, especially when working in the zone, the jury is out on this guy, much like it has been on Bell since earlier in his career. Can this be the "boom or bust" pick of the 2008 linebacker class?"

UGhhh....not a very encouraging or flattering review.

based on their analysis of linebackers at nfl.com, this guy should be drafted before Rivers:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ali-highsmith?id=254

Compares To: DERRICK BROOKS-Tampa Bay...Smart, instinctive, smaller-than-ideal, but with a big heart are ways to describe these two. Highsmith is not the patient tackler Brooks is, but he has great range to close on the ball and would be even better if he can grasp the concept of taking better angles in pursuit. He has the rare speed needed to force the outside running game back inside and does an outstanding job of reading and reacting to the ball in flight. The next Derrick Brooks? With his ability to defeat cut blocks and scrape to the outside, he's as close as you will find to the Bucs' perennial All-Pro.

Mark Fields was a very athletic and smart linebacker. If Rivers turned out to be close to the player that Mark Fields was I would be very happy. However, I don't think he will be.

I thought he was pretty good for us. He really developed well in Carolina. As someone said earlier, our linebackers went south after he left. Man, was it really that long since we had a descent LBer? After Fields left, who else was there until Fujita arrived that was not more than a one or two year stop gap? I remember Charlie Clemons making a few tackles, but he looked like a DT playing LB. Who else was there that was worth a damn?

Mark Fields was a very athletic and smart linebacker. If Rivers turned out to be close to the player that Mark Fields was I would be very happy. However, I don't think he will be.

Wow, you obviously can't stand Rivers b/c you're making up facts about Fields in order to put Rivers down. Fields a smart linebacker? Nah, he wasn't football smart at all.

Rivers reminds me of Fields in that he's super athletic, but makes very little plays. A lack of instincts makes quite a bit of sense (I haven't watched Rivers closely enough to make that determination, all I know is, he doesn't make plays). I wouldn't be happy at all with that pick.

Wow, you obviously can't stand Rivers b/c you're making up facts about Fields in order to put Rivers down. Fields a smart linebacker? Nah, he wasn't football smart at all.

Beat me to it. His football smarts improved later as his skills diminished (with the Rams), but with the Saints, he could get out of position faster than anyone on the field.

We all have opinions, I believe Fields was a smart football player, and no I am not a Rivers fan. I watched some USC games and noticed a number of defensive playmakers, and none of them were named Rivers. If he does not impress on his college team I do not believe that he deserves to be a top 10 pick in the NFL. That is not to say that he could not become a good NFL player. Rivers, has the talent to be able to contribute on special teams his first year. If he develops he possibly could become a starter. I do not think he will ever be an impact player.

Reminds me of a combination of Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, and Deion Sanders.

Just kidding, but anyway we need defense: corner, linebacker, or DT. Not some 5th RB or WR that Payton and some fans are all too susceptible to get obsessed with. If Rivers turns out to be something like Fields, fine, that is still way better than what we have, especially with the reality that Vilma is a major injury risk and Morgan is nearly an injury guarantee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom