Does Ryan bring any Cboys with him?? (1 Viewer)

Spencer is almost a sure thing.

And the surprise name of free agency...

SCOTT FUJITA

That's right. Ryan pushed to get him on the Browns and with his good relationship with Payton and Loomis I could see it happening.

WOW!

I love the idea.....if we get Spencer to be the pass rusher in front of Fugita, that would pretty much resemble the Fugita Bobby McCray combo. And that combo made Greer to play at ProBowl level....

Man I hope he can still play......we never had anybody close to him since he left for Cleveland.

Hawthorne will be given another year. Saw the saints taking a peek @ Zavier Gooden. We can get him in the late round allowing him to come in and compete with Hawthorne for the WILB position. Kid can play special teams and will probably run a 4.44 in the 40.

I have more confindence in Martez to play OLB now with Rob Ryan coming in and coaching them up. Much like Spencer benefited i think Martez will do the same.

Contray to popular belief Rob Ryan does not run a 1 gap system. In Granthams system i compared Martez to Alex Ogletree. Which was why i saw him as a better fit @ WILB. With Ryan i see Martez best fit as a SOLB.

Martez wilson is not a OLB. He's a natural ILB who has some pass rush skills.

He isn't a DE, not big enough, not strong enough. He isn't a natural OLB.

In college he played MLB.

He would fit well as a SILB in the 3-4 where he would be asked to cover intermediate routes, TEs and RBs, and bump wr on the line, and play runs and blitz occassionally. He would be excellent as a blitzer and in coverage he woudl be very good due to his size and long arms and speed to cover ground. His narrow base makes him an easy target for OL on the second level but in the 3-4 he is protected more with the other LBs helping and a bigger DL.

We can get better players at OLB and frankly we need to. If martez is the starting OLB on this team we are in trouble b/c he simply can' rush teh passer or play the run against good OTs in this league on a consistent basis.

the 1 player from the cowboys i would really like to see the saints sign is Viktor Bulter, wouldn't mind Free as a back up olineman

He would fit well as a SILB in the 3-4 where he would be asked to cover intermediate routes, TEs and RBs, and bump wr on the line, and play runs and blitz occassionally. He would be excellent as a blitzer and in coverage he woudl be very good due to his size and long arms and speed to cover ground. His narrow base makes him an easy target for OL on the second level but in the 3-4 he is protected more with the other LBs helping and a bigger DL.

I agree with this-I think he and Lofton in the middle, Gallette and a new guy on the outside. Hawthorne could be inside or out.

Martez wilson is not a OLB. He's a natural ILB who has some pass rush skills.

He isn't a DE, not big enough, not strong enough. He isn't a natural OLB.

We can get better players at OLB and frankly we need to. If martez is the starting OLB on this team we are in trouble b/c he simply can' rush teh passer or play the run against good OTs in this league on a consistent basis.

When we first switched to a 3-4, I too was thinking that Martez would play outside. However, as I looked at the Cowboys (I'm in Dallas), I was able to see how important the ILB is in a 3-4. Tez could have the role that Bruce Carter played on the Cowboys; a super fast, sideline to sideline defender. I also think that Tez is best when blitzing up the middle. He is VERY quick of the snap, but doesn't seem to have the other components of a good outside pass rush. His quickness alone would be enough to gain an advantage over slower guards and get into the QB's face in an instant.
At this point, I think most positions we've assigned to players are speculation, but it will certainly be interesting to see how they put our defense together with the personnel we have.

As far as bringing in former Cowboys, I don't think we can afford Spencer. Victor Butler would be a pass rushing backup, as he struggles against the run. Jay Ratliff is still under contract and beat up. I don't think he'll be able to stay healthy due to the punishment he's taken being an undersized NT in their 3-4 scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom