Does signing Morgan and Vilma mean no LB on Day 1 of Draft? (1 Viewer)

kaikos

Forever Rookie
Reaction score
With the lastest "investment" (though the investment is relatively low) in 2 LB's - I think we would be looking at other areas during Day 1 draft.

During one of the late games last season, watching Bush struggle and before PT got going, I suggested that we would take a RB early on Day 1....

I think a smooth and balanced offense is how SP and ML has set up this team. All of FA has been focused on Defense (thankfully) - and this allows the team to pick BPA on draft day - not just need.

I think they may make a play to get Dorsey or Ellis is they start to fall, or they may be looking at Balmer, or they could go corner, but DT is the only positoin that hasnt been addressed and that may be the plan, to go affter one of the top defensive tackles...I gotta keep bringing him up, cause people are high on Balmer but alot of people dont like him on here..but he is a possibility.

I don't think it means we avoid a LB at all. The Morgan move is a low risk, high reward signing that adds a little insurance if Vilma's knee isn't right. No matter what a young LB can add great value to this team. I believe the Saints don't see an LB with #10 value in this draft. Round 2 is still very possible.

They took Deuce McAllister with Ricky Williams on the roster, and Will Smith with Darren Howard on the roster... linebacker is very much in the picture, but they don't HAVE TO get one.

Since this draft is loaded with talent at the LB spot, I would look for us to go BPA in the first two rounds. BUT...I would be VERY suprised if we didn't select at least ONE on the first day. Given that we don't have a fourth round pick, I'd look for us to move or second or third rounder and try to recover that one. All in all...I'd say we snag atleast one on the first day. There's too much talent this year not to select at least one and let's not forget. Our starting MLB is coming off an injury and our WLB hasn't played a game in almost two years. While they are upgrades by name and their playing history if either or heaven forbid both go down....we are even further back than we were last year....if that's even possible.

The route we took in FA allows us to go BPA, but our coaching staff knows we've got to have young LBs available....if for nothing else than ST, as they tend to make great ST players...speed balanced with size to get down the field and make plays.

I'm looking at DT in round one unless both Ellis and Dorsey are gone, then it will probably either be OT or CB. In round two, look for us to snag either a CB or LB if we've gotten our DT. If we don't get our DT in round one, look for us to go that route in round 2. Round three is more than likely us trying to snag a LB who slipped through the second round. Again....I see us trading back that second rounder and picking up another fourth.

I think they will go safety or coner in the first round. And guys we can go in the 3rd after Chevis Jackson are Zenon. Dont forget about Ali Highsmith, and Craig Steltz. These guys are heavy sleepers in this draft.

Exactly. Flexibility to take the best player available is all it means. This team has every intention of going into the draft with no glaring needs.

When are we trading for Haynesworth then? :dunno: :ezbill:

We could add Spikes and still draft a LB. The thing is that unless we gave Morgan a large signing bonus, which is highly unlikely, we could cut him if needed before week 1 and not have to pay him anything. Signing him is a look see in my opinion. If he stays healthy in training camp and through preseason games we may want to keep him, but in no way do we bank on him. If someone worthwhile is available, especially in round two, I see no reason to not draft them. I agree with BPA.

So does this mean that Simoneau moves to the outside LB spot? Or does Dan Morgan play outside

I was just kind of wondering what the depth chart will shake out like

I don't think we'll keep 8LB's ?

Fujita,Simoneau,Vilma,Morgan,Shanle,Evans,Morgan,Mitchell

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom