Does SP Finally have Legit #1 WR Weapon in Thomas? (1 Viewer)

Colston was bigger n a lil faster. He ran a 4.5 to Mikes 4.57. But to me Mikes quicker, with a lil more wiggle n shake than MC. N Mike seems to be more physical and aggressive, esp with his hand usage against CBs. All which help to get him that separation. Then theres the way he can break tackles n runs after the catch.

The young man is playing with confidence, even a lil swagger!

I like dat!

I remember in TC he had 2 amazing catches. One was deep down the middle and he made a diving one handed catch. You could really see his acceleration with the ball in the air and amazing hand to eye coordination. I can't wait to see a catch like that in a game. He will definitely turn some heads then.

Michael Thomas has the ability (although not quite there yet) to go up against elite corners and "hold his own." IMHO, that is what you are looking for in a #1 WR. The ability to force the other 31 defenses in the league to at least respect all 11 guys on offense on every play. I just feel like having the opposing defense have to respect your entire offense, whether by talent or scheme, is imperitive once you get past the first round of the playoffs. Every team you face is going to be relatively healthy or skilled across the board, so if they can shut down your #1 guy with their #1 guy, you are severely handcuffed (same goes with pass rushers vs. LT's as well). But, if your #1 pass catcher can at least hold his own, you are able to play on a much more level playing field.

FWIW, I believe Cooks has the ability to get to that level as well, after a little more seasoning (ala Antonio Brown).

Michael Thomas has the ability (although not quite there yet) to go up against elite corners and "hold his own." IMHO, that is what you are looking for in a #1 WR. The ability to force the other 31 defenses in the league to at least respect all 11 guys on offense on every play. I just feel like having the opposing defense have to respect your entire offense, whether by talent or scheme, is imperitive once you get past the first round of the playoffs. Every team you face is going to be relatively healthy or skilled across the board, so if they can shut down your #1 guy with their #1 guy, you are severely handcuffed (same goes with pass rushers vs. LT's as well). But, if your #1 pass catcher can at least hold his own, you are able to play on a much more level playing field.

FWIW, I believe Cooks has the ability to get to that level as well, after a little more seasoning (ala Antonio Brown).

Really good stuff Duck. Thx!

For some reason Thomas gets a lot more love/hype than Colston. But Colston actually had much better numbers through this point his rookie season. .this is not a knock on Thomas just don't under appreciate Colston's greatness. He was criminally underrated his entire career. And for all those that say it was a result of his being schemed open, I have two words for you. Coleman, Brandon. I don't get why everyone thinks Thomas is better than Colston. Have some respect for the greatest WR to ever wear the black and gold. We can debate who was better in ten years

I'm really sick of talk like this.

People can discuss Thomas' potential for greatness without it being a slight at colston. As of now, the numbers actually favor Colston, but as others have also pointed out, we have more weapons at the moment.

Either way, I just really don't like it when people try to stop a conversation by saying we're "disrespecting" someone by simply comparing them.

Thomas is stronger and more physical.

Thomas has the potential to be as good or even better than Colston. But above is a ridiculous statement...Colston was one of the strongest most physical WR's in NFL history...and he took more big hits than any of them, it is a testament to his physicality, strength and toughness that he lasted as long as he did...it still absolutely astounds me how Colston continues to be undervalued, by Saints fans no less...

Thomas has the potential to be as good or even better than Colston. But above is a ridiculous statement...Colston was one of the strongest most physical WR's in NFL history...and he took more big hits than any of them, it is a testament to his physicality, strength and toughness that he lasted as long as he did...it still absolutely astounds me how Colston continues to be undervalued, by Saints fans no less...

They have different types of physicality. Colston's most productive spot was generally in the slot where he could use his size to create matchup problems against typically smaller slot corners, safeties, and linebackers. That he certainly had few issues going over the middle all the time knowing he was likely to take a big hit is a testament to his toughness.

However, the weakness of our receiving corps for years (Colston included) was that if a defense had the corners and safeties to come hit the receivers in the mouth and disrupt their timing, the offense sputtered badly. This was why we had trouble against teams like the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks during that period. That's also the area where Thomas's physicality is clearly superior to Coltson's. Thomas handles that physicality at the line better. That's why we kept hearing that the quick slant is is 'best route' early in the season before we took him off the leash; he beats his guy consistently at the line of scrimmage to get into his route quickly, even if that guy is an excellent physical corner like Richard Sherman.

So it's not a slight against Colston is 'more physical'. I think he just meant that Thomas appears better suited to play against more physical corners than Colston was.

The NFL is filled with thieves. As soon as we the members start a thread on Thomas being a top number 1 WR, the NFL steals our post and claims it as theirs.

They have different types of physicality. Colston's most productive spot was generally in the slot where he could use his size to create matchup problems against typically smaller slot corners, safeties, and linebackers. That he certainly had few issues going over the middle all the time knowing he was likely to take a big hit is a testament to his toughness.

However, the weakness of our receiving corps for years (Colston included) was that if a defense had the corners and safeties to come hit the receivers in the mouth and disrupt their timing, the offense sputtered badly. This was why we had trouble against teams like the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks during that period. That's also the area where Thomas's physicality is clearly superior to Coltson's. Thomas handles that physicality at the line better. That's why we kept hearing that the quick slant is is 'best route' early in the season before we took him off the leash; he beats his guy consistently at the line of scrimmage to get into his route quickly, even if that guy is an excellent physical corner like Richard Sherman.

So it's not a slight against Colston is 'more physical'. I think he just meant that Thomas appears better suited to play against more physical corners than Colston was.

I understand you're not attacking Colston, but I can't agree with you here. Colston could get off the line with anyone. He had outstanding technique. The Saints timing offense was disrupted in the middle of the field, often five yards or more past the line of scrimmage, often illegally. I think Thomas may be a little more elusive than Colston, before and after the catch, but Brees will never be throwing the type of indefensible back shoulder throws to Thomas that he did to Colston. Colston's size, physicality, hands and body control were unmatched. He, Brees, Payton and changes to the NFL rule book ushered in the era of the XL size wide receiver. I absolutely love Thomas's play, and he may well prove to be better than Colston, but his game is not the same. He may score more than Colston, but he will never be the type of red zone target Colston was. His most important attribute, just as Colston's was, is his football intelligence and his ability to quickly get on the same page with Brees. Just my opinion...

Colston and CGM are such different receivers they are hard to compare.

I guess I've seen every single reception by Colston. Most of them were 9 routes or crossing routes. He would find a soft spot, sit down in it, go up and fight for the ball, come down with it, and get hammered. And hammered again. Made me cringe, because I love the guy.

CGM is usually on the move when he makes his catches, stiffarms, and fights for yardage. Seldom takes a big hit, usually gets dragged down while on the move.

Colston and CGM are such different receivers they are hard to compare.

I guess I've seen every single reception by Colston. Most of them were 9 routes or crossing routes. He would find a soft spot, sit down in it, go up and fight for the ball, come down with it, and get hammered. And hammered again. Made me cringe, because I love the guy.

CGM is usually on the move when he makes his catches, stiffarms, and fights for yardage. Seldom takes a big hit, usually gets dragged down while on the move.

Good stuff Bobad. In many ways, imho, Colston was like TE split out at WR. Whereas Thomas is a real WR with all the moves of a very talented WR - a big WR with very quick, strong shifty moves and phenomenal ball-in-the-air spotting skills.

As far top end speed, does anybody know what AJ Green, Dez and D Thomas ran in their 40s? thx

Good stuff Bobad. In many ways, imho, Colston was like TE split out at WR. Whereas Thomas is a real WR with all the moves of a very talented WR - a big WR with very quick, strong shifty moves and phenomenal ball-in-the-air spotting skills.

As far top end speed, does anybody know what AJ Green, Dez and D Thomas ran in their 40s? thx

Demaryius Thomas 4.38
Dez Bryant 4.52
AJ Green 4.5

Overrated stat. 40 yard dash isn't always an accurate way to determine football speed. A lot of players get with track guys before the combine to work on their "take off" for this test. What makes the 3 guys listed (and Michael Thomas) so good is their routes, ability to get separation, and their hands. What pads their stats is the offensive system. If Julio were a Saint, he'd probably be about a 1,200 yard guy. If he were a Ram he'd be a 750 yard guy.

I remember Colston's rookie year that he was listed as a WR/TE in fantasy football. I tore 'em up that year. Back then, you didn't have TE's that made anywhere near WR stats, so he was ridiculous good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom