Does the Butler signing change what we do with #15 now? (1 Viewer)

I'm not that excited about butler, same number of snaps last year as Galette and as a OLB not a DE, so more to what they both do, and he had half the sacks as Galette, I see a huge number of sacks for Galette in this new system, and hope Tez just gets better.

Dude, they're Cowboys fans - do you really trust their opinions?

Seriously, though, I don't know much about the kid, but I DO like that he's young, I DO like that RR knows him already, and I DO like adding competition to the position. I'm excited to see what he can do, but I'm also optimistic JG and MW can step up and be difference makers. As LSSpam said though, they're all unknowns to a large degree - so if we draft an OLB I won't be upset.

I think our biggest NEED right now, though, is LT.

Most fans know their teams players pretty well. So yeah, i'd trust what Cowboy fans say about Butler. They arent writing Butler off as a "Oh well, he sucks, big deal" kind of thing at all. They are mad that they lost him.

You could say the same thing about Lewis as matter of fact. He started 1 year......

Well in the 2005 Draft, the Saints moved up to nab a Tackle from Oklahoma, named Jammal Brown.. he was plagued by injury later in his career but his first few years he was an exceptional player and made the Pro Bowl.

I think history repeats itself and we move up again in this Draft to take another Okahoma Tackle, Lane Johnson. As much as I hate giving away future picks as we've been doing lately to move up I think we do so... as Left Tackle is such a glaring hole on our team, and protecting Brees is first and foremost in the Offense.

All along, I felt we needed 2 more OLBs to go with the inexperienced Junior and Tez. Signing Butler gives us a young but experienced 3-4 OLB who played BOTH spots in RRs scheme. He gives us more "stability" and "depth". I was esp worried about that SOLB spot, but not NEARLY as much now with Butler in te fold.

But Butler also gives us OPTIONS. Even moreso if we're able to sign McKinnie, or another vet OT, and Nnamdi. Our biggest "needs" would have then been addressed, and we would be "freeer" to stay put, move up, or drop down. A lil more wiggle room for SP and Loomis. I like having that come draft day, where a surprise pick or 2 could change the dynamic for us at 15.

Better to have OPTIONS.......just in case.

Well in the 2005 Draft, the Saints moved up to nab a Tackle from Oklahoma, named Jammal Brown.. he was plagued by injury later in his career but his first few years he was an exceptional player and made the Pro Bowl.

I think history repeats itself and we move up again in this Draft to take another Okahoma Tackle, Lane Johnson. As much as I hate giving away future picks as we've been doing lately to move up I think we do so... as Left Tackle is such a glaring hole on our team, and protecting Brees is first and foremost in the Offense.

if you're going to trade up, why not Fischer?

No. Butler is no more sure a thing than Galette or Wilson. He's a career backup. He's shown some promise but you're not really saying "oh we locked this spot up for the next 5 years". All we're doing is rolling 3 dice now, not just two.

It changes nothing as far as the draft goes.

True but we would be basically doing the same thing with a lot of the guys projected to be there at our pick at 15. Mingo does not have 3-4 experience, nor does Richardson (though his role could be similar), who knows if Ansah can play standing up. Really the only guy I would be pretty confident day one is Jordan and there is no way he drops to us.

if you're going to trade up, why not Fischer?

Yeah I just think Joeckel, and Fisher are out of our reach both will probably go top 5-7 and I don't think we have the ammo to get up that high.

I mean hard to say how the Draft plays out but we'd probably have to jump up to atleast #10 if Johnson is still hanging around, as we'd have to jump the Chargers who are also desperately looking for a LT.

To get up for Lane we would be trading future picks, so I'm totally against that. Lane Johnson is not a top 10 pick and certainly not worth losing multiple picks over. The fact the Saints didn't keep Bushrod tells me they are going with what they have.

In response to the OP, yes, it does. If an OT is the BPA, then we will draft an OT in the 1st.

To get up for Lane we would be trading future picks, so I'm totally against that. Lane Johnson is not a top 10 pick and certainly not worth losing multiple picks over. The fact the Saints didn't keep Bushrod tells me they are going with what they have.

This. I was being sarcastic about Fischer BTW, but I must disagree with you about rolling with what we have. I think we take LJ if he slides, but if not -- Mingo or Vaccaro. Then, we get Faulk or Armstead later.

This. I was being sarcastic about Fischer BYW, but I must disagree with you about rolling with what we have. I think we take LJ if he slides, but if not -- Mingo or Vaccaro. Then, we get Faulk or Armstead later.

There is no one outside of the top 3 who would start over a healthy Brown. Faulk would be a back up guaranteed THIS YEAR. To be honest if you remove draft status, Brown would have the inside track on Lane Johnson as well who is being heavily hyped due to the lack of 1st round tackle talent.

It doesn't change anything. Butler is a good signing but it's a 2 year deal and if he earns a starting role then it's a 1 year deal. We need a long term OLB answer.

If anything it makes a player that might need a bit of development even more attractive. It makes an instant impact, low ceiling player, the so called safe prospects, less of a need. We can take a chance and swing for the fences and add a player that can be the play maker we so desperately need on defense. We can develop them just like we do with every one of our rookies, backup, rotational player, that eventually becomes a starter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom