Saints Does the Defense Go Prevent At Times? (1 Viewer)

Tee08

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering. I've noticed in at least 2 games this year (Tampa Bay and Chicago) when the Saints were assured of winning with just a few minutes left, the defense has allowed those teams to get quick and easy scores. I know that getting the "W" is what counts, but I don't like it when they seemingly ease up and allow teams to move the ball that way. It sure skews the stats for the "D".

I think what you're as a DC is completely eliminating the quick score. Let them go underneath and eat up the clock. Yes, it lets them get down the field and get garbage yards but you should get the ball back if they score (onside kick recovery ahem) and run out the clock.

In recent years, the Saints' D has shown a disturbing knack for giving up quick score big plays while leading (MIN playoff game, CLE 2018, HOU this year, I'm sure there are other examples). They're conceding 5-10 yards a pop as long as it's in the middle of the field and keeps the clock running, which is a valid strategy when up by multiple scores. We don't get style points and who cares if the national media underrates our defense as a result?

We don't get style points and who cares if the national media underrates our defense as a result?

Honestly, we should care. We (the fanbase) constantly complain about not getting enough respect due to being in a smaller market. Well, you earn that respect and notoriety by NOT giving up a ton of points when the game is well in hand. It might seem meaningless to some, but being able to close out games looks good on both our team and our organization as a whole.

Anyone who was in the Gameday thread on Sunday knows I was none too pleased with the garbage time meltdown. By my own count, we've given up 35 points during garbage time this season (13 to Seattle, 7 to Tampa, 15 to Chicago). Can't do that down the stretch, for sure. Not sure what the issue is with this otherwise glowing season, but it's gotta stop.

I don't care about respect. I really don't care at all or complain about power rankings, talking heads, etc. (even though yes, many here do). I just care about the final score when the clock strikes zero. It's a valid strategy especially with our history (including this season) of giving up big plays late in games.

Honestly, we should care. We (the fanbase) constantly complain about not getting enough respect due to being in a smaller market. Well, you earn that respect and notoriety by NOT giving up a ton of points when the game is well in hand. It might seem meaningless to some, but being able to close out games looks good on both our team and our organization as a whole.

yes, they are clearly playing soft.

if they don't recover the onsides, this is a non-issue.

Anyone who was in the Gameday thread on Sunday knows I was none too pleased with the garbage time meltdown. By my own count, we've given up 35 points during garbage time this season (13 to Seattle, 7 to Tampa, 15 to Chicago). Can't do that down the stretch, for sure. Not sure what the issue is with this otherwise glowing season, but it's gotta stop.

what does that mean? if we are up by 3 scores, "down the stretch" what does it matter if we win 38-13 or 38-27??

what does that mean? if we are up by 3 scores, "down the stretch" what does it matter if we win 38-13 or 38-27??

If we're locked in a battle for HFA by the time Dec. 8 rolls around, we'd better darned well put away a 26-point lead on SF if we're in that position with three minutes to play, as we were in this past Sunday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom