Saints Does the Saints Locker Room want Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill? (1 Viewer)

But if you put this supreme “dangerous” athlete at QB, then you are putting the ball in his hands every snap. So, could one argue that you ARE making the team better that way?

I think that Hill at QB scares defenses more than Winston. They at least have a lot more to prepare for. Hill is a threat to run, and is a weapon at running, anytime he has the ball. So, defenses have a lot more to think about with Hill at QB.

But if you put this supreme “dangerous” athlete at QB, then you are putting the ball in his hands every snap. So, could one argue that you ARE making the team better that way?
Well, I don't think he's supremely dangerous as a QB. I think he's pretty underwhelming. Forgetting his limitations as a passer, he needed to be an every snap threat to run the ball. Instead, we saw really poor vision breaking the pocket.

I think that Hill at QB scares defenses more than Winston. They at least have a lot more to prepare for. Hill is a threat to run, and is a weapon at running, anytime he has the ball. So, defenses have a lot more to think about with Hill at QB.
I think his threat to run out of the pocket (not designed runs) is still more theoretical at this point. He did not show good vision scrambling last year. I was honestly shocked at how many yards he left on the field. I expected him to be Vick-esque as a runner out of the pocket.

He may give defenses more to prepare for as a runner, but Winston gives them a lot more to prepare for as a passer. The game plan against Hill's passing wasn't complicated.

I think his threat to run out of the pocket (not designed runs) is still more theoretical at this point. He did not show good vision scrambling last year. I was honestly shocked at how many yards he left on the field. I expected him to be Vick-esque as a runner out of the pocket.

He may give defenses more to prepare for as a runner, but Winston gives them a lot more to prepare for as a passer. The game plan against Hill's passing wasn't complicated.

You are right about Hill's pocket presence and scrambling. I also expected more, and with a full offseason at QB, I think we'll see more of that. But, I'll take Hill's passing over Winston's, with a few exceptions that I'm hoping Hill can clean up this offseason. But, I'm also hoping that Winston improves as a passer, and his judgment, as well.

You are right about Hill's pocket presence and scrambling. I also expected more, and with a full offseason at QB, I think we'll see more of that. But, I'll take Hill's passing over Winston's, with a few exceptions that I'm hoping Hill can clean up this offseason. But, I'm also hoping that Winston improves as a passer, and his judgment, as well.
No disrespect to Hill, but no team out there is afraid of him beating them as a passer. I would venture that he could not throw for 5k yards in a season, even if INTs just counted as incomplete passes.

No disrespect to Hill, but no team out there is afraid of him beating them as a passer. I would venture that he could not throw for 5k yards in a season, even if INTs just counted as incomplete passes.

I don't think many teams are afraid of Winston's passing either. With those 5000 yards went 30 interceptions. And Hill is a little more accurate than Winston on intermediate passes. He misses reads at times, but when he throws the ball, he's on target more often than Winston was with the Bucs, at least. I'm guessing both of them improve this offseason, so we'll see where they're at.

I can't deny that Taysom doesn't have a lot of flaws to fix. But, with a full offseason devoted to QB, I'm guessing he puts a pretty good dent in those flaws. And if he does, he could turn into a pretty good QB. Is it enough to beat out Winston, I don't know. But, it will be fun to watch.

And, if Payton wanted his QB to throw 5000 yards, wins and losses be damned, he could put Cam Jordan in at QB and get 5000 yards. But, 5000 yards doesn't mean anything other than it looks nice in the record books. How many of Drew's 5000 yard seasons resulted in winning seasons?

I hadn't thought of this before, but I'll ask this question here rather than starting a new Hill vs Winston thread.

So, let's assume that both Hill and Winston improve over the offseason. How, much is whatever you think they will. So, who would defenses rather face? An improved Winston, or an improved Hill at QB? I think you could make a pretty good case either way.

but Taysom is a turnover machine as well.

Meanwhile, if Taysom becomes the QB, you lose a very dangerous receiver at the TE position, ... and a guy who's automatic from the goal line as a runner. The team gets weaker overall.
But if Taysom is a turnover machine, why would you want him handling the ball at any position? Does not lining up at QB fix fumbles?

I hadn't thought of this before, but I'll ask this question here rather than starting a new Hill vs Winston thread.

So, let's assume that both Hill and Winston improve over the offseason. How, much is whatever you think they will. So, who would defenses rather face? An improved Winston, or an improved Hill at QB? I think you could make a pretty good case either way.
It goes to Winston. He doesn’t have that far to go to be a great QB. People complain about INTs, but how many were poor
Routes or were him trying to make something out of nothing and end up with a horrible outcome. Brees at times did that also when he went into be a man and save the day mode and started throwing passes that were head scratchers. Every QB does it.
Payton though is more or less risk adverse take what they will give you and then when the opportunity provides itself go for the kill shot. He rarely puts his QBs in a bad situation. Also, the Saints line is way better than anything Winston has ever had. They will make sure he has the time. Hill, last year I didn’t see any anticipation on throws, waited until the WR was obviously open and ran or got pressured more than he should’ve. He
Looked tentative and that’s not a good thing with a running QB because one look, not there start to panic and then what happens.

It goes to Winston. He doesn’t have that far to go to be a great QB. People complain about INTs, but how many were poor
Routes or were him trying to make something out of nothing and end up with a horrible outcome. Brees at times did that also when he went into be a man and save the day mode and started throwing passes that were head scratchers. Every QB does it.
Payton though is more or less risk adverse take what they will give you and then when the opportunity provides itself go for the kill shot. He rarely puts his QBs in a bad situation. Also, the Saints line is way better than anything Winston has ever had. They will make sure he has the time. Hill, last year I didn’t see any anticipation on throws, waited until the WR was obviously open and ran or got pressured more than he should’ve. He
Looked tentative and that’s not a good thing with a running QB because one look, not there start to panic and then what happens.

So, you're assuming that Winston improves, but Hill does not?

Ask the Falcons who they would rather face? I'm betting they would say they would rather face Winston than Hill. I think the same goes with the Bucs. I don't about the Panthers.

If Taysom can improve on a few things, he gives defenses a lot more to think about than Winston does.

So, you're assuming that Winston improves, but Hill does not?

Ask the Falcons who they would rather face? I'm betting they would say they would rather face Winston than Hill. I think the same goes with the Bucs. I don't about the Panthers.

If Taysom can improve on a few things, he gives defenses a lot more to think about than Winston does.
I think he is saying that if both “improve,” Jameis is the more complete and experienced QB and a much better passer, which will likely end up in Sean giving him the nod.

I can't argue with that, as much as I want to. :D
You never know how things are going to turn out though.

Look at what happened with Trent Green when Vermiel coached the Rams to a SB. Green wins the starting job on a stacked team and gets hurt at the end of the preseason. In comes Warner and the rest is history.

I want Winston, Hill, Siemens and Book to look great, because you never know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom