Does The Teddy Signing Mean (is Brees' last year?) MOD EDIT (1 Viewer)

I've even thought that if we get into mini-camp and someone desperately needs a QB, we could trade Teddy for a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think that'll happen unless a QB falls to us in the draft that we can't pass up.

That along with Brees restructure where he will count 16 mil in cap space that can't be moved makes it more likely than not that this is his final year. The kind of deal you would have to make to keep him around beyond this season would probably involve a 5 year deal that voids after 1 year to spread the cap hit while trying to retain our young free agents and keep Teddy around.

That along with Brees restructure where he will count 16 mil in cap space that can't be moved makes it more likely than not that this is his final year. The kind of deal you would have to make to keep him around beyond this season would probably involve a 5 year deal that voids after 1 year to spread the cap hit while trying to retain our young free agents and keep Teddy around.

He can sign an extension and spread money out. We can use the deal where we add extra years that automatically void if we need to. Even if Drew retires and Teddy takes over, Teddy isn't going to sign for 7mil to be the starter in 2020. He's going to want at least 15mil,....maybe more. The only way we get a cheap starter is if we draft one.

People are saying that Drew declined in the second half of the season but fail to realize Armstead was banged up or out completely, the O-line got shuffled around, and the WR's (other than MT) weren't stepping up. Not saying Drew was at his peak, but I don't think he's declined as much as everyone thinks. I think it was more of him having to process plays faster due to his surroundings.

While Drew is showing signs of retirement, some of the fanbase will be in denial.
He's the best qb we've ever had so it's only
normal we don't want to let go.
The conversations within the organization
are there. We just don't know anything.
Teddy's one year contract shows he's playing
it by ear. Drew is close but nobody truly knows except Drew.
If we win a Superbowl, he may leave on top.
If we dont, he may stick around....who knows.
The unsettled future is just that, unsettled.
Gotta play it by ear with one of the best all time qbs in the nfl. He's earned it.

I just remembered. Manning had serious nerve neck injury. He actually had stem cell treatment in Europe. It worked for one year, but I strongly suspect it flaired up his last year. That type of injury will cause severe weakness in shoulder and arms. To our best knowledge, Brees has no such injury to impact his throwing. That's a big plus for Brees.
That is all true, but it was actually Peyton's legs that started to cause him issues in 2014. He started to lose the ability to drive the ball, and a lot of it was just due to his body not being able to bounce back week to week (which is what I hope we weren't witnessing with Brees last year). 2015 it was like the wheels were falling off -- foot, shoulder, ribs, etc. They had to shut him down midway through the season, but he was able to come back just in time for the playoffs and had just enough in him to get through the Super Bowl.

It seemed to me like after the start Brees had in the 1st half of the season, the press was finally ready to give him the MVP award as long as he played somewhat close to the 1st half stats. You know he had to be motivated by that, but for whatever reason, his performance dropped significantly. Particularly outdoors, he threw a lot of weak passes and when he tried to go downfield, they usually floated and came up short. That scares me and makes me believe either age or injury.
What do you mean 'for whatever reason'?

His receivers starting dropping balls, his offensive line was terrible and his receivers couldn't get open to save their lives. Tre'Quan Smith was absolutely useless the last half of the season.

I think that this is Drew's last year. Imo, here's why:
  1. Loomis felt comfortable pushing another$10M cap hit to 2020. With the $10M Brees' cap hit that gives us a total hit at QB of $20M. I don't see how we can afford a typical Brees contract on top of that. Loomis sees that and already has plans.
  2. Teddy signed a one year top backup contract. Why so much and why only one year? Because the Saints wanted to encourage him to stay knowing that next year they will offer him starter money.
  3. The way Loomis will handle that $20M hit is that next year's starter salary for Teddy will be structured such that he gets a small salary, big bonus. That gets them past next year by stretching out the bonus meaning small hit in 2020 & Teddy gets a big chunk up front.
Drew leaving fits all 3 of these scenarios.
Teddy's contract this year also fits.

So Drew's last year? Yeah, I think so. It all just fits too neatly not to be the case. I wish he could play forever, but reality sets in at some point.
Reasons for doubt...

1. This has pretty much been an annual tradition the last few years. If Brees want to come back next year, they'll sign him to an extension with voidable years to push dead money to future years -- just like they did earlier this week.

2. Teddy's contract was for his market value, and with a one year deal he can again look elsewhere for a starting role if Brees does decide to come back in 2020. One year screams "wait and see."

3. The year Brees retires, whenever that is, the Saints will take a big dead money hit, and that will have nothing to do with Teddy's next contract. And even if Brees retires they're not going to give Teddy a big contract just because he'll be first in line to try to replace him -- they won't pay any more than they have to, and we've seen two years in a row that his market value is around $6-7 million a year. Barring significant playing time or a ridiculously productive preseason he won't have the leverage to demand more. If Teddy enters 2020 as the projected starter, I'd expect it would be on another 1-2 year market value "prove it" contract, with the ability to earn or renegotiate a longer term deal after he makes it through a full season (or perhaps even a team option or balloon payment after the first year, kind of like with Brees' first contract in New Orleans).

Let's not get into do I love Drew Brees convo. I worship Brees since High School. But his performance dropped like a rock for most of the games in the second half of the season. He seemed to lose zip on the ball especially outdoors. Was this age or an injury? I have no idea
I remember seeing a play in the dome, possibly the week before the Cowboys game, where drew got slammed on his shoulder extremely hard. At the time, I feared his season may be over, but he never missed a down. Wondering if it didn’t play a role in the thinkgs you mentioned.

I think next year is Drew's last year. I also think there might be a chance that Payton moves on. I would say that a lot of fans next year may start finding something else to do with their Sundays than support the sham that is the NFL.

Did he turn down better money? I read they offered him a 2 year/$10 million deal, i.e. $5 million a year.

$7.25 million > $5 million

Yeah but how much guaranteed $$$?? The 2nd yr of a 2yr deal oft times is only for acctng...phins prolly guaranteed 7m's.

Let's not get into do I love Drew Brees convo. I worship Brees since High School. But his performance dropped like a rock for most of the games in the second half of the season. He seemed to lose zip on the ball especially outdoors. Was this age or an injury? I have no idea

Drew is my favorite Saints player ever, I hold him in the highest esteem both on and off the field.

Having said that, I agree that either age or injury appear to have caused him to not be ‘Brees’ like in the last few games and in the playoffs.

I know that’s sacrilege, but just the way I feel. Love DB9 and forever thankful. He’s a first ballot HOF’er and seems to be an even better man, which is much more important to me. Father Time is starting to catch up with him I do believe.

I think next year is Drew's last year. I also think there might be a chance that Payton moves on. I would say that a lot of fans next year may start finding something else to do with their Sundays than support the sham that is the NFL.

You know Payton has to be fired or traded to go to another team next year right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom