Does The Teddy Signing Mean (is Brees' last year?) MOD EDIT (1 Viewer)

He can sign an extension and spread money out. We can use the deal where we add extra years that automatically void if we need to. Even if Drew retires and Teddy takes over, Teddy isn't going to sign for 7mil to be the starter in 2020. He's going to want at least 15mil,....maybe more. The only way we get a cheap starter is if we draft one.

15m's for a tru starter QB IS cheap nowadays TBTH. Not many teams will be competing for TeddyB as their starter next season so dont negotiate against yourself Saints. Structure a multi yr deal that has options after 1yr for better or worse. Being that his only legit option was in Miami and that was a draw bridge over trouble water, not much leverage for the player I'd say.

15m's for a tru starter QB IS cheap nowadays TBTH. Not many teams will be competing for TeddyB as their starter next season so dont negotiate against yourself Saints. Structure a multi yr deal that has options after 1yr for better or worse. Being that his only legit option was in Miami and that was a draw bridge over trouble water, not much leverage for the player I'd say.

Notice I said maybe more. That’s the minimum he’d take to be a starter. But cheap is rookie contract QBs. As a backup Teddy is making more than 7 NFL starters.

SP has never been bashful about QBs he's really liked. Has he praised any if the QBs coming out of college this year? Thx all

Whenever he comes out I’d love to have Trevor Lawrence. Think that’s his name. The Clemson QB.

It seemed to me like after the start Brees had in the 1st half of the season, the press was finally ready to give him the MVP award as long as he played somewhat close to the 1st half stats. You know he had to be motivated by that, but for whatever reason, his performance dropped significantly. Particularly outdoors, he threw a lot of weak passes and when he tried to go downfield, they usually floated and came up short. That scares me and makes me believe either age or injury.

Drew is football old. Speed, strength, and endurance all start to slip in everybody around 40 yrs. Camp and a 16 game season is a long grueling haul, even for a 20 something. But I really didn't see Drew taking any sort of nose-dive individually last season. No, what I saw was:

1. A QB throwing to the only two receivers that could get open, against defenses that crowded the line of scrimmage because we had nobody to threaten them deep, and defenses keying on the two good receivers.

2. A QB that had to get rid of the ball quickly because the entire left side of the offensive line was either out injured, playing injured, or playing out of position. And as said above, only 2 receivers could get open quickly and they were being double and triple teamed.

3. A QB who was not playing his wide open game, trying to be conservative because he didn't have enough weapons he could trust to win against tight coverage.

4. A QB on a team that was getting reffed to death week in, week out with bad calls and no calls.

5. A QB who was near 40 and tired as hell, and didn't have the speed, strength, or stamina that he used to have back when even with everything listed above, he could put the team on his shoulders and just go out and win the game on his own.

That's the reason that I believe this is his last season. It's not that he can't do it anymore or that he's a liability... it's that he can't do what he use to could do. Can't carry the entire load on his shoulders like he could just a few years ago. Drew could play 5 more years and still be ranked in the top half of the QBs in the league. But that's not Drew Brees. He's always been top 5 minimum. Elite. Some parts of his game are still elite. But the total package? That's not elite anymore.

And to answer the thread, I do believe that Bridgewater turning down the Dolphins and signing a 1 year 7+ million dollar contract with us says it all. It gets said a lot that "only he knows" when he'll hang it up. I don't believe that for one minute. I 100% believe that SP, ML, PC, VL, Teddy Bridgewater, and likely every player on the team (the core group at least), know this is his last year, win or lose.

Drew is football old. Speed, strength, and endurance all start to slip in everybody around 40 yrs. Camp and a 16 game season is a long grueling haul, even for a 20 something. But I really didn't see Drew taking any sort of nose-dive individually last season. No, what I saw was:

1. A QB throwing to the only two receivers that could get open, against defenses that crowded the line of scrimmage because we had nobody to threaten them deep, and defenses keying on the two good receivers.

2. A QB that had to get rid of the ball quickly because the entire left side of the offensive line was either out injured, playing injured, or playing out of position. And as said above, only 2 receivers could get open quickly and they were being double and triple teamed.

3. A QB who was not playing his wide open game, trying to be conservative because he didn't have enough weapons he could trust to win against tight coverage.

4. A QB on a team that was getting reffed to death week in, week out with bad calls and no calls.

5. A QB who was near 40 and tired as hell, and didn't have the speed, strength, or stamina that he used to have back when even with everything listed above, he could put the team on his shoulders and just go out and win the game on his own.

That's the reason that I believe this is his last season. It's not that he can't do it anymore or that he's a liability... it's that he can't do what he use to could do. Can't carry the entire load on his shoulders like he could just a few years ago. Drew could play 5 more years and still be ranked in the top half of the QBs in the league. But that's not Drew Brees. He's always been top 5 minimum. Elite. Some parts of his game are still elite. But the total package? That's not elite anymore.

And to answer the thread, I do believe that Bridgewater turning down the Dolphins and signing a 1 year 7+ million dollar contract with us says it all. It gets said a lot that "only he knows" when he'll hang it up. I don't believe that for one minute. I 100% believe that SP, ML, PC, VL, Teddy Bridgewater, and likely every player on the team (the core group at least), know this is his last year, win or lose.

Dutar - You ought to be a sports writer. Great analysis! Thx

What do you mean 'for whatever reason'?

His receivers starting dropping balls, his offensive line was terrible and his receivers couldn't get open to save their lives. Tre'Quan Smith was absolutely useless the last half of the season.

Oh Contrarian Sproles - lol. How you doing Brother. Agree with what you said, but he was still throwing ducks over 30 yards

I think next year is Drew's last year. I also think there might be a chance that Payton moves on. I would say that a lot of fans next year may start finding something else to do with their Sundays than support the sham that is the NFL.

Those that do "move on" aren't real fans.

Those that do "move on" aren't real fans.

Respect your opinion but definitely don’t agree with it. The ‘real’ fan thing gets thrown around a lot here. It’s confused me almost every time and I’ve been a fan since I was 3. I’m 42.

Whether or not I quit the NFL completely will not change how I feel about my New Orleans Saints.
Ever. Period.

Last edited:
This was the first season where at the end I didn’t see the Brees of old. Something was missing. Either it was the shoulder in Dallas or age or whatever, but something wasn’t right. Brees couldn’t throw receivers open anymore. There was something off. His timing and placement just weren’t the same. I hate to say he’s done after this year, but I am starting to lean that way honestly

No!

I would think that if it was DB9's last season, we would've locked TB5 up for longer.
Or... They're giving Taysom every chance they possibly can. Like Teddy, but I still feel we would have won that Panthers game if Hill started.

Coach Pete says that Brees made the decision already and informed the FO that this will be his last year so they could plan for beyond him. My feelings are that if Brees wins a SB this year, he may change his mind to go for 3.
He should already be a 3 time champion it’s such a shame how the last two seasons went down

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom