Does this team have a good base to build on (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I know we have all talked about this team needs this and that but what about what we all ready have is it good enough to build on.

Wr's- We have 1 old one you could be retiring in about 2 years and 1 really up and coming star. So by no means are we set there. So this team needs to address this in the off season.

RB's- I think this is maybe one spot on the team we are set at for a few year's to come and can say we have a good building block. We have Deuce, Reggie, Stecker, and Branch.

OL- We need help all over the place. We could use a few better starter's and back up's as well. Basic need more depth.

DL- See OL

LB's- We all know the story

CB's-Same as LB's

Safeties- Are we set....

For the most part I think this team is a good core of football player's to build upon. Will Payton be the best coach ever... I don't know we will have to wait and see...can he win more games the Mora...that I can see happing if he is given the chance to change player's and get better player's when needed.

Last edited:
I know we have all talked about this team needs this and that but what about what we all ready have is it good enough to build on.

Wr's- We have 1 old one you could be retiring in about 2 years and 1 really up and coming star. So by no means are we set there. So this team needs to address this in the off season.

RB's- I think this is maybe one spot on the team we are set at for a few year's to come and can say we have a good building block. We have Deuce, Reggie, Stecker, and Branch.

OL- We need help all over the place. We could use a few better starter's and back up's as well. Basic need more depth.

DL- See OL

LB's- We all know the story

CB's-Same as LB's

Safeties- Are we set....

For the most part I think this team is a good core of football player's to build upon. Will Payton be the best coach ever... I don't know we will have to wait and see...can he win more games the Mora...that I can see happing if he is given the chance to change player's and get better player's when needed.

I definitely think we're set on offense. We have a good foundation. Sure we need to get another stud WR to have two on the team when Horn leaves. I'd like to get a good tight end as well. Not a prolific tight end, just one who can block like crazy and catch the ball. Doesn't need to stretch the field, just be a dependable safety valve and play very smart - maybe one of the guys we have will develop into that role, we'll see.

Offensive line is so-so. You know, the line is very young overall. I'd say we can use another one or two to start, but it's still a very young line and they're still learning to play together, so that's not so much a big need at the moment - but yes, we definitely need depth!

QB, RB, FB is set.

Defense is a different beast. Lot of age on the defense...We're set at DEs if we can get Grant long term. Hollis is great, but he's not a spring chicken. Same for Young. CBs - FT and MM are getting up there in age. We definitely can use some depth here as well. When Craft is your Nickel CB, it's time to get some depth. Outside linebackers seem pretty solid this year. MLB is still a question mark, but I still believe Clark can be a stud in the middle, particularly against the run.

But, by no means are we set on defense for years to come.

So we still have a lot of holes to fill, which will make the draft interesting. As much help as we need on defense, we can't ignore the offense if the right player falls to us.

Barring injuries and assumming Horn plays and plays well next year, I'd address the positions in this order (draft and/or FA):

CB (at least 2)
MLB
DT
OL
WR
TE

Overall, to answer the question, yes we have a good base to build on. All you really need for a good base is a good coach and a good QB. See New England Patriots.

Last edited:
I am not worried about the WR position after watching the college games yesterday. In the SEC alone therer are about a dozen WR's that will make good pro's. Then you have another 30 or so spread around the rest of the country that all look like great prospects. I don't remember ever seeing a group of college WR's as deep as they are right now. Most of these guys are all between 6'2"- 6'-6".

As far as CB goes we certainly need to start finding our 3rd and 4th corners as well as replacement for Thomas.

DE will be a weakness if we don't re-sign Grant.

DT We need to find a NT to replace Thomas in a couple of years.

We need to upgrade the LB spots. Shanlee is better than any LB we have had in the last 5 years but he is still below average. Fujita looks like a stud but he is weak against the downhill and cutback runs. Simoneau is way below average for a MLB.

Last edited:
I think we have a good base. I do agree we have some key needs! CB, DL,OL TE and another WR for when JH retires.. I think the guy Sweed from Texas is a good one.. The samardja (sp) from ND makes big plays but im not sure of his speed.. He's a great route runner though!

QB: Brees (franchise qb)
RB: Duece and Reggie (franchise backs)
WR: Colston and Horn (#1 grooming his eventually replacement)
TE: None
OL: Brown, Evans, Stinch, Faine (Depth..Strief, Pettiti, Holland)
DE: Grant, Smith
DT: None
LB: Fujita, Shanle
CB: None
Safety:Bullocks, Harper

If you look at the list, we have solid young talent to build around, but its the depth that needs to be addressed and I think that will come with next years draft, we need reviever help, Tightend help and better run blockers on the O-Line, we need young aggresive corners and a Middle Linebacker, we need a 6'3 330pder who can get sacks.not just plug the run, ie; Kris Jenkins, Sean Rogers.

We need not to repeat what we did in the 2001 FA and think we are better than we are. We need to aggressively upgrade as we did this year. More quality players will be willing to give us a look this time around. We need some some solid pickups at LB, NT, DT, OL, TE, CB. One quality guy at each or most of these will set us up to draft either best available player or need as our draft position in each round dictates. We do have a lot to work with but we do need to build on it and not sit tight. JMHO.

Not to start trouble for Brees, but if a rather good college QB falls in our lap, we could use the depth there.

RB should be good for a while.

WR's look promising to me. Colston, Henderson, and even Jones and Copper (with some good coaching).

OL does need plenty of help. Anyone know what kind of prospects there are at OL for the next draft? Either that or get a good FA OL.

The DL is pretty good concidering. Resigning Thomas would be a good move. He's done pretty good.

We all know the issues with the LB's even though it's looking improved from previous years (in an optimistic way).

We could use some more of those Alabama DB's whoopin up on them WR's.

The saftey position is looking improved with Harper if we can just get another equally talented FA or draft pick.

We may want to start looking for a replacement for Carney in the next few years too.

While we have a decent base, I have new confidence in this staff to indentify and draft talent...which can contribute immediately. Just look at the production from last year's draft.

Guys that are going to need to be replaced in the near future:

Position Name Age
WR Horn 34
DT(NT) H. Thomas 33
CB F. Thomas 33
CB Mckenzie 30
CB Craft 30 (yeah, i know, he's our #3 CB right now)
TE Conwell 30-something

Other needs:
MLB (Simoneau not cutting it)
RT (Not sold on Stinchomb)
DT ( I would like to see Young get some competition)
G (for depth or competition for Nesbit/Evans)
TE (Campbell OK but nothing great)

It's said every year that you build around the following positions:

QB
RB
WR
OT

DE
MLB
CB

The Saints have their future at most of those positions covered. The future looks very, very bright.

Avoid early round CBs at all costs!!! They're arrogant and often in trouble with the law (Deangelo Hall, Pacman Jones). Stick to free agency to address that position and concentrate on the others in the draft.

Avoid early round CBs at all costs!!! They're arrogant and often in trouble with the law (Deangelo Hall, Pacman Jones). Stick to free agency to address that position and concentrate on the others in the draft.

The NFL has 32 teams. Most young stud CBs will re-up, or even get franchised. Interested parties will have to bid on the very few remaining. I'll take an arrogant Hall any day, and CBs get in trouble as often as any other position.

our corners suck, they make galloway look like randy moss, t.o. in there prime, and we have a good, damn good team, but the o line even tho they stepped up wit the injuries, neeeds a mauler, and oursecondary, is trash, but a good front and linebacker have been carrying them this season, but you kno that is our weakness, its like teams cn all ways hang around cuz of the secondary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom