Does Ty Montgomery have a legit shot to make the roster? (1 Viewer)

I'd say that there is a pretty good chance. I'd put the odds at about 65%. He's a decent RB and WR and can play special teams (when he decides to not make horrible decisions). That type of versatility is a huge plus. I don't think that he'll be a huge contributor however, unless Kamara either sits out or gets hurt. I'd look at him as a rich man's Cadet...which is probably good enough.

I'd say that there is a pretty good chance. I'd put the odds at about 65%. He's a decent RB and WR and can play special teams (when he decides to not make horrible decisions). That type of versatility is a huge plus. I don't think that he'll be a huge contributor however, unless Kamara either sits out or gets hurt. I'd look at him as a rich man's Cadet...which is probably good enough.
Daren Sproles really spoiled us. Cadet came right after Sproles left and while he was not terrible, he was anything special either. So when we have a player who can "play" that position, he's compared to Sproles. By mentioning Cadet's name, most people will probably not get excited about him.

He'll almost assuredly make the roster.

He's a better RB3 than Washington and at the very worst our 4th best WR. I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't.
There have been scenarios where Payton chose to keep a guy purely based on the fact that he's been on the team for a few seasons.

I think Payton is prioritizing having a Kamara back up instead of a typical 3rd Running back.

If Kamara is injured. Our offense is greatly hampered. So, it make sense. We don't need two Murrays, but we do need a back up for Kamara.

I feel like that is the direction we are going to go.

I thought the same exact thing when we signed him, if he makes the team it will be mostly for depth and/or to keep Kamara fresh....and SP loves versatile players....

He'll almost assuredly make the roster.

He's a better RB3 than Washington and at the very worst our 4th best WR. I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't.

Probably, but don't undervalue Washington, we just re-signed him so if we were just going to let him walk we probably would have, he is a ST stud....I think it is 4 or 5th reciever that should be concerned....

His high catch percentage almost assures that he makes the team and not to mention his good size and speed for the position. Unless he’s lacking upstairs and is unable to pick up the playbook, he’s going to be contributing on this team on special teams and on offense to spell AK. Montgomery should allow Payton and Brees to run the entire playbook even if AK is off the field. That’s a significant factor.

There have been scenarios where Payton chose to keep a guy purely based on the fact that he's been on the team for a few seasons.

Sure, but I don't think those scenarios were scenarios where the incoming player was very clearly better than the incumbent.

Montgomery is very clearly better than our WRs 4 and 5, whoever that is.

I was excited when I saw that we signed Ty Montgomery. I thought that we finally have a compliment to AK and can really confuse the defense if they are on the field at the same time. Considering how late in the game we brought him in, I am curious if the Saints intentions are to really utilize him or "kick the tires" situation.

Over the last few years we've only carried 3 running backs. If we decide to keep him, will we cut Washington? In 2018 we signed Shane Vereen, but he didn't make it past preseason. Is Montgomery another Vereen situation?

Absolutely he does

He fits the mold of this roster that Sean has been creating for the last couple years.

He is a position less football player, and is actually fairly good at what he does.

What does Sean Love more then anything?

He loves Mismatches more then anything, and that my friends is exactly what Ty Montgomery is.

I think TY easily makes this team. Either Washington is gone, or we keep 4 RB this year.

I could def see a more committee RB approach this year, with AK still getting majority.

Don't be surprised if Montgomery sees 3-7 snaps a game.

I could see Sean having a package specifically for him this year. He loves versatility

Garoppolo way above par??? 🤔🤔
Correct. Par in this league is not exactly spectacular.

And even if I (happily) stop standing up for Garoppolo, Sanders QBs have in no way been subpar as a group.

I think he absolutely makes the team. He's too versatile with so many things that he can do.

The only way he doesn't make the team is if he's dumb as a post and can't pick up the playbook or if in preseason he puts the ball on the ground too many times. If there is one thing Sean Payton has very little tolerance for it's fumbles and dropped passes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom