Does Ty Montgomery have a legit shot to make the roster? (1 Viewer)

I think he will make the team for sure. Unless Dwayne Washington seriously outplays him in camp/preseason, but then he could make it as combo back/receiver/returner/special teamer. He could take up a few roster spots by himself. Just having him as a backup return man will make him hard to cut. He’s almost a lock IMO. I think he has the edge on Washington cause of everything else he brings to the table. I would love to see him make it as a gunner instead of Hardee, so if we ever run that fake punt again we will have an actual pass receiver out there 😂

Last edited:
To the OP’s credit, I actually do think that Ty makes the roster. He’s exactly what Payton loves: a versatile weapon.

So I think he’ll he RB3 (backing up AK) and WR 4, behind MT, ES, and TQS. Deonte Harris will be WR 5 and returner obviously.

Only thing we’re missing is the SP patented blocking WR. Maybe we keep 6 WRs for that very role. Hogan maybe?

My heart says, “YES”. But if i were to bet real money, or something of actual value on it, i wouldnt bet a cent or a single thing. True, Montgomery is versatile & offers RB/WR ability, but lets be real, he’s not better than the guys we already have on the roster at both RB & WR. Washington, L’J Humphrey, Em. Butler, etc are all better in my opinion. To me Montgomery’s basically who & what Tavaris Cadet is/was.

How is his blocking, blocking out of the WR and RB positions has always seemed to be a pretty big part of deciding who makes the cut. If you want to make the roster you are either a star at those spots, can block, play special teams, or some combination therein.

What team has a “legit” 4th wideout though?
Dude,

With only two proven and one potential recvr on the roster, I think Montgomery has the stats and cred to have a legitimate shot to make the roster. I don't know what you read into my post, but you misinterpreted my meaning. I think most understood what I was saying. Btw, with Sanders being 33 and Smith injury prone, Montgomery may have a shot at being the #2 receiver. I believe he will beat out Williams at the # 3 spot.

Yes, he plays specials teams. Has versatility as a RB and WR, which we know Payton loves and could definitely beat out a TLL or Austin Carr for a WR spot

Dude,

With only two proven and one potential recvr on the roster, I think Montgomery has the stats and cred to have a legitimate shot to make the roster. I don't know what you read into my post, but you misinterpreted my meaning. I think most understood what I was saying. Btw, with Sanders being 33 and Smith injury prone, Montgomery may have a shot at being the #2 receiver. I believe he will beat out Williams at the # 3 spot.

I already said I think he makes the roster. I just wanted to know what team in the league has a “legitimate #4 receiver.”

The answer: none. There’s no such thing as a legit #4 receiver.

My heart says, “YES”. But if i were to bet real money, or something of actual value on it, i wouldnt bet a cent or a single thing. True, Montgomery is versatile & offers RB/WR ability, but lets be real, he’s not better than the guys we already have on the roster at both RB & WR. Washington, L’J Humphrey, Em. Butler, etc are all better in my opinion. To me Montgomery’s basically who & what Tavaris Cadet is/was.
I don't see much value in LJH except to block on running plays. Butler did have some TC highlights, but...so did TLL. Butler or LJH has yet to do anything in a real game. I believe Montgomery's competition is Washington (who is a special teams ace). We'll see how it plays out though.

I see him as Kamara's backup and maybe we keep him longer if they dont pay Kamara.

He'll make the team if he can still perform. He's also potentially insurance/leverage in the coming Kamara contract negotiations. If Kamara wants to break the bank, the Saints will set him free and re-sign Ty Montgomery, provided he can perform.

He’s 6’-0” 215 lb. from someone else’s post has around 74% catch-drop. Which is average for RB so if he can improve that he can be the 4 wr. But he has rb skills also. SP probably wants to use him like Bellichek used Cordarelle Patterson.

I was excited when I saw that we signed Ty Montgomery. I thought that we finally have a compliment to AK and can really confuse the defense if they are on the field at the same time. Considering how late in the game we brought him in, I am curious if the Saints intentions are to really utilize him or "kick the tires" situation.

Over the last few years we've only carried 3 running backs. If we decide to keep him, will we cut Washington? In 2018 we signed Shane Vereen, but he didn't make it past preseason. Is Montgomery another Vereen situation?
By the time we signed Vereen he had basically had his wheels run off by the Pats. He was done, but our staff will almost always turn over ever possible rock to see what they can find. I dont think thats the case with Ty. Will he start? That depends alot on how camp goes but I think he earns a spot on the roster.

I think his versatility- being able to be a weapon at both WR and RB (and possibly special teams)...legitimately saves you one roster spot. He's one guy who fills the role of two players. Most teams don't have a single guy that truly has that role. Montgomery totally can save you one roster spot. T. Hill of course is the king of this as he saves you TWO! roster spots. So with Taysom and Montgomery on the roster it's like the Saints have THREE more players on their game day roster than any other team. I think that's a pretty big advantage, especially given how deep our squad already is.

To me Montgomery’s basically who & what Tavaris Cadet is/was.
LOL. Then why isn't Cadet still in the league or put up numbers anything close to Ty's when he was? Because he was a special teams player who only got on the field as a backup once we released him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom