Does Tyler Palko win the #2 spot this season? (1 Viewer)

Brees was a 2nd round pick though

To me that made the pressure even worse on Drew than it probably is on Tyler.

Really, before Wanny got there and killed Tyler's game he was on track to be one of the greatest Big East and Pitt QB's of all time. In his sophomore year he was awesome. I still think if Harris had stayed that Tyler would have been a first day choice... maybe even 1st round.

Tyler can be a left-handed version of Drew. But competition is a good thing. All I want is the best man for the job. I really have faith in Tyler to be that man.

Thats how I feel also, I'm not saying just give the job to Palko, ofcourse bring in competition, i'm just saying that he is the guy I believe should be the #2 guy and he will prove it.

Thats how I feel also, I'm not saying just give the job to Palko, ofcourse bring in competition, i'm just saying that he is the guy I believe should be the #2 guy and he will prove it.

he did in basically a year and a half what took it Marino 3 to do... almost

His experience backing up Drew and working under Sean & Co.'s tutelage would be about as good as possible as far as not being able to actually get game time in I'd suppose. Best case scenario for us fans is that he doesn't play nor does Jamie. That means that Drew is under center-- a must for our best chance to win. But of all the things to be doing to gain experience-- absent of playing-- it has to be doing exactly what he did last season.

Is this the same Tyler Palko who played in pre-season? The guy who got our receivers almost decapitated with a series of hopeful balls over the middle thrown into traffic?
Or is this the Tyler Palko we forgot all about for a year and then seem to remember he's the second cominf of Tony Romo? I'm confused?

Is this the same Tyler Palko who played in pre-season? The guy who got our receivers almost decapitated with a series of hopeful balls over the middle thrown into traffic?
Or is this the Tyler Palko we forgot all about for a year and then seem to remember he's the second cominf of Tony Romo? I'm confused?

That was one play. If you remember right you might think of how that happened to Colston in the season ender against the Bears.

Tyler made some good and some bad plays in the pre-season. He's an undrafted rookie. You want a pro-bowl performance or something?

And even though there might be some natural inclination for fans to corrolate Romo's success with being in Sean's tutelage to an apparent automatic translation to Tyler's situation, there's not a great deal of that in this thread. Why you are confused is beyond me.

Speak for yourself too, because I, for one, didn't suddenly remember him... I kept tabs on him. Really, this forum has had many times where his name and status with the team have been discussed.

Dude that was one play...and musta been the only preseason game you watched (Hall of Fame Game) and if I remember correctly, that pass was to Meachem, and was a pretty good through, he should of held on to it, Palko got it between two defenders, but that was after he had got flattened on the previous play (Meachem)

I would love it if he were to move into the #2 spot, but ONLY if he really was ready for it. Not because of roster pressures. He's has the tools as far as I can tell, but we don't know if he can put it together yet.

The CFL’s outstanding player from last season, Saskatchewan quarterback Kerry Joseph, is trying out with the NFL’s New Orleans Saints,

Ummm.....Sean Payton said in a recent interview that Joseph trying out was "news to him". Sean Payton might not everything Loomis is doing but I think he would know about a QB coming in for a tryout. From Dan in Lafayette's post in another thread -

Saints' coach unaware of workout

The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Kerry Joseph, who is hoping for a raise, has said he has a workout scheduled with the New Orleans Saints on Feb. 13.

If that's the case, it's news to Saints head coach Sean Payton.

"I don't know anything about it,'' Payton told Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province during Super Bowl week. "Really, who is he?''

Joseph is entering the last year of a deal that will pay approximately $250,000. The deadline for CFL players signing in the NFL is Feb. 15.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...6-7318d8599224

It appears that if any workout is to take place, Payton knows nothing of it. It could be that somebody else could have scheduled it, but I doubt it.

Sounds like Joseph was just trying to strength his bargaining position.......

I know he's gotta be decent to make it to this level, but his throwing motion looks really awkward. Not like a sidearm gunslinger, but more like a girl. I'm no Bill Walsh when it comes to evaluating QB's, but it looks like he would get eaten alive if he had to start in the regular season. IMO we need a better #2 for this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Palko makes it, nor will I be surprised that he gets cut and a new "wunderkind" is brought in as Payton's new protege.

He showed some moxie last preseason, but we obviously aren't privy to his play in running the scout team nor in class studying the pro game.

I like Trent Edwards a lot last draft too... I also was hoping Jordan Palmer would have made it through the draft as an UDFA so the Saints could get him, once Edwards was gone.

I know he's gotta be decent to make it to this level, but his throwing motion looks really awkward. Not like a sidearm gunslinger, but more like a girl. I'm no Bill Walsh when it comes to evaluating QB's, but it looks like he would get eaten alive if he had to start in the regular season. IMO we need a better #2 for this season.

I've never seen a girl come close to throwing well enough to break 20 year old school records set by Marino, but I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder, provided they actually took an objective look. His motion reminds me of Young and his play reminds me of Flutie. But , you know, eye of the beholder and all.

Let's look at some Pitt stuff before Wanny got there and report back on what we think his potential is. Because at this point, we have Martin 2 to 3 years removed from any meaningful playing time and that much older in the twilight of his career and Tyler's potential to base this upon. Neither is a sure thing, and absent a decent FA aquisition, both are ahead of any QB we might draft-- if we draft one at all-- which most probably feel won't happen.

You have two guys whose roster spots have been protected and kept open by the team. Obvoiusly with Jamie, his veteran status and his salary it's not hard to figure out why he's been kept. With Tyler we have only the potential from what showed up in pre-season and his much better showing at Pitt. Potential can only take me so far in trying to see what the coaches see in him as far as why he's been kept. On his potential alone I think he got to camp, but to stick, there must have been something there that we didn't get to see.
I believe that playing in Sean's system behind a legitimate MVP QB and a savvy veteran have left us with a best case scenario in which to develop a solid NFL QB.

One day will come where we will need number two to step in, whether it be on an injury or a departure from the team. So what's the plan? Maybe we wait another 2 or 3 years and draft a franchise QB and let that work itself out or we groom a guy behind two very successful offensive performers in Drew and Sean.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom