Dog Attacked - Moral Dilemma (1 Viewer)

TenTwo

local shortstop
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was taking my small 20 lb pug/chihuahua mutt for a walk yesterday in my neighborhood. It's a nice neighborhood, with nice homes and sidewalks. As I'm passing a house I notice a couple is out doing something in their garage and then I notice their dog...what looks like a pit bull, maybe 80 lbs standing out there with them...unleashed. I was immediately annoyed that this big dog was out without a leash, but it was next to their owners, so I guess I was hoping it was trained, I dunno. I saw it, and just tried to ignore it and keep walking in hopes that my dog wouldn't notice him either. Unfortunately, the dog did notice us and he came right after my little guy. My dog did not try to fight back, he was just trying to escape, pretty difficult to do on a leash. I was able to scoop him up after a few seconds of them going around in circles. The pit did not jump up on me after I picked him up, his owners were there pretty quick and got control of him. They were very apologetic, asking if we were both ok and that they were sorry. I just gave them a glare, I really didn't have words for them. They were doing the right thing by acting quickly and I could tell they knew they made a mistake by not having the dog leashed/controlled...but that didn't change the fact that they freaking should have and I was half enraged and half relieved that my dog seemed ok. After the dog was removed, I set my little guy down and saw blood on him, but it turned out is was mine from my own dog, he scratched me as I was picking him up. Later last night I did see a small mark on his hind leg, no doubt from the other dog. In hindsight, I'm not sure that going down and scooping my dog up with the pit-bull basically on him was the wisest move, but I only had fear for my dog, not myself. It was reactionary, and I admit I was not prepared for something like that.

So now I am faced with a moral dilemma. Should I call the police, animal control/whoever and make a complaint? Part of me thinks I should not because the owners seemed genuinely sorry for what happened and I assume they learned a valuable lesson. On the other hand, that's an assumption and what if that had been a child, or what if someone less willing to get in the middle of a couple of dogs had been there instead of me? What if this isn't the first time this dog has shown aggression towards another dog, or worse, bitten someone? Is it irresponsible to do nothing and forgive/forget, or should I live and let live on this one? I am pretty certain that I don't want to hire a lawyer, but as far as contacting the authorities, I am truly on the fence.

Also, after the whole thing I was pretty ****** at myself for not being more proactive...not carrying my weapon on me, not picking my dog up as soon as I saw the unleashed animal and instead hoping that he would leave us be. I have a feeling the next time we go for a walk, I'll be better prepared.

Report it. Next time it could be a child.

Glad you and your dog or okay.

I'd also say report it.

It appears you are wrestling with potential unfavorable outcomes for the owners of the other dog (and while I think it is great that some part of you is still sympathetic to their situation) but in the end you are not responsible for what happens to them or their dog. Let the authorities do their job.

Report it.

Dogs are territorial, some far more then others. Its up to the owners to know that and restrain the dog accordingly for public safety and the dogs own safety.

This couple, is clearly not responsible enough.

Report it. Next time it could be a child.

Glad you and your dog or okay.

Yeah this is really out of your hands. Generally it seems to be a 2 strike rule in most places with dogs. If it's the first incident not much will happen but the owner will know to be extra careful with the dog in the future, lest he get a second strike and be put down. (The first incident puts the dog owner "on notice" of the "threat" their dog poses, any further attacks by the dog therefore create a strict liability situation, where the burden is solely on the dog owner to prevent attacks).

If it's the 2nd strike then the owner evidently didn't learn his/her lesson in the first place and can't be trusted to control the dog.

You carry no moral burden in this situation (of just reporting it). The owner of the other dog does.

We have 2 pit bulls. I'm sure their dog was just playing with your dog. Pit bulls play rough, but if he wanted to he could have done serious damage to your little guy. My 2 are the nicest dogs in the world, but when we have company with little kids or little dogs I lock them up just in case, and always keep them leashed unless we're out on our property (over 50 acres in the boonies). Better safe than sorry.

When my dogs see a smaller dog I've noticed they try to go up to them and kind of shove them or stand over them. Must be a dominance thing.

If the little guy was unharmed I wouldn't report it, but I would go have a talkin' to with those neighbors. If you see the dog out again unleashed after you talk to them, I'd report it.

My .02 as a pit owner.

I'd report it just as it happend and request that it be logged in case it happens again.

What was the other dog like? Was he playing or attacking? You'd know it right off hand if he attacked, IMO.

How? To be honest, I didn't pay a lot of attention to their dog. I noticed him for a moment before we passed his house. We were past his house a few feet when he ran up on my dog from behind me. I didn't hear him barking or hear him coming. My dog started yelping and I scooped him up as they were entangled. It did cross my mind that the pitbull was just being playful but he was definitely trying to "get" my dog one way or the other. My dog has been socialized with other dogs on several occasions over the past few months (he's only about 7 months old now). I've never seen him react like that. I think his leg was bitten and it is my opinion that had I not separated them, my dog was going to be seriously injured. That was my perception at the time. It all happened really fast.

My 2 are the nicest dogs in the world, but when we have company with little kids or little dogs I lock them up just in case,

in case of what? if they are the nicest dogs in the world, what are you worried about?

If the little guy was unharmed I wouldn't report it, but I would go have a talkin' to with those neighbors. If you see the dog out again unleashed after you talk to them, I'd report it.

My .02 as a pit owner.

I was thinking this might be my other option if I didn't call the police. Just go talk to them about it.

How? To be honest, I didn't pay a lot of attention to their dog. I noticed him for a moment before we passed his house. We were past his house a few feet when he ran up on my dog from behind me. I didn't hear him barking or hear him coming. My dog started yelping and I scooped him up as they were entangled. It did cross my mind that the pitbull was just being playful but he was definitely trying to "get" my dog one way or the other. My dog has been socialized with other dogs on several occasions over the past few months (he's only about 7 months old now). I've never seen him react like that. I think his leg was bitten and it is my opinion that had I not separated them, my dog was going to be seriously injured. That was my perception at the time. It all happened really fast.

Either way, the dog wasn't properly restrained. Nor is it trained to stay and not charge other people and animals. It displayed aggression, even if playing, and another incident could go badly. That's the problem.

If I was in your place, I wouldn't get caught up in trying to determine the dog's intentions.

Go talk to them. Explain to them that you're undecided about what to do and see how they react.

in case of what? if they are the nicest dogs in the world, what are you worried about?

In case my dogs get too playful or rambunctious. They're both over 100lbs. I don't need them getting hyper (one of them is hyper 100% of the time) and accidentally knocking over someones child or running over and injuring their small dog. Pit bulls get a bad rap, and I'd rather not have an accident where I lose mine.

Moral dilemma, indeed. You and your dog were clearly harmed here. Yet reporting it could contribute towards a growing movement to ban certain types of dogs, or to other animal-related laws that will negatively impact some perfectly responsible pet owners out there. Sort of a case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch.

I guess I'd say: You're definitely justified in filing a complaint/report. But perhaps give some thought to exactly what you hope doing so will accomplish, and give some thought as to the unintended consequences might be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom