Dog show fans....Westminster Kennel Club on tv tonight and tomorrow night (2 Viewers)

For the hunters out there, a BEAGLE is the favorite to win the whole she-bang!

For the hunters out there, a BEAGLE is the favorite to win the whole she-bang!
Uno, the beagle who won the Hound group, is an awesome dog.
p1.uno.jpg

Beagles are great...I've been to a few beagle field trials, and it is quite a sight when a pack gets on the scent of a rabbit, all in a line with those white-tipped tails in the air, each dog giving that wonderful beagle "whooo-hooo" to indicate that they are still on the scent line.

I have to say that as much as I enjoy seeing a beautiful specimin of a dog in the show ring, watching them do what they were bred to do is even more satisfying. I had my champion standard longhaired dachshund Souli out at a field trial last month, and his tail was literally doing circles in the air when he was on the scent (rabbit), and it would drop down when he lost it. He'd make these small circles, sniffing around until he found the scent and wham, that tail was back up. I didn't train him to do this; it is pure instinct and drive to hunt. I was judging later that day and my eventual first place dog worked a line down into a gully, up a hill, and then the dog opened (started barking) as it hit the hot scent...then I saw the rabbit moving in a brush pile ahead of the dog. The dog didn't see it; he was strictly using his nose. It was amazing to watch. No one taught that dog to open; it was instinct to pull the rest of the pack to the line. Again, watching what these dogs were bred to do is incredible. Guess that's why I'm partial to the dogs who hunt. :)

Last edited:
If I had an urge to give myself a never ending project, this would be my ultimate dog. The Komondor.

Attachments

• Komondor.jpg
    Komondor.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
I loved the Akita too; she was my second choice...but that beagle has a "wow" factor. He's been my choice all along, and the BIS judge agreed...congrats to Uno the beagle!

I had to pull for the Aussie as well...her call name was "Deuce"! :9:

Last edited:
Glad to hear the beagle won. No foo foo dogs.

If I had an urge to give myself a never ending project, this would be my ultimate dog. The Komondor.

I had an eccentric college professor who went everywhere (including lectures) with a couple of massive Komondors, and used to talk during class about how strong and quick and implacable they had been trained to be. When he called me in to talk about my term paper, he excused himself for about 10 minutes and left me alone in his office with these two gigantic balls of yarn. I was convinced they would strike at any moment if I so much as moved. I'm pretty sure he did this on purpose. I still get momentary shivers whenever I see one today!

Anyway, we were all pleased for Uno's win--he really caught public attention, I heard all sorts of people from whom I wouldn't have expected it talking about the dog show today just because of this good-looking beagle.

I had two Bull Terriers back in the day, so seeing Rufus win two years ago was one of my happiest moments on TV. Agree, the Beagle was spectacular.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom