Dolphins hire John Bonamego & offer Pete Carmichael a job {merged} (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the Saints lost one and are close to losing two assistant coaches:

Dolphins want Saints' Carmichael
By Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
January 26, 2008

MIAMI - The Dolphins are inching closer finalizing their coaching staff.

According to an NFL source, the Dolphins have offered the offensive coordinator job to Pete Carmichael Jr., who has spent the past two seasons as the Saints' quarterback coach, and New Orleans special teams coordinator John Bonamego has accepted the same position with the Dolphins.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flspnflnotes26pnjan26,0,5891785.story

It happens. Coaching carousel at work here. Dang Parcels man you need to go retire for good.

Not sure how the QB coach departure will impact Brees. Drew has proven he is as smart as any coach but there are still needs for a good QB coach I think.

For the ST's guy I can't really see why he would have been recruited to Miami. I have thought our ST's play has really been subpar for two years now.

That's not good. On the other hand I guess it's a good sign when other teams want your coaches.

Special teams was a disaster. Senior bowlitis struck again. Coaches on the move, but Sean has some in reserve I'm sure.

john bonamego was not particularly a upper tier special team coach. i think there is better than him somewhere out there for the Saints.

does anyone else find it hypocritical of parcells taking members of the saints and cowboys' coaching staffs? I remember him throwing a fit when Payton tried to do the same.

does anyone else find it hypocritical of parcells taking members of the saints and cowboys' coaching staffs? I remember him throwing a fit when Payton tried to do the same.

Nah, he is just playing by the rules. If Bonamego is under contract I "think" Payton could have denied MIA to speak to him. Also, I believe there is some issue with the actual position hired, for instance, if Pete Carmichael is the QB coach at NO, but MIA is going to offer QB AND Asst Head Coach, then I think there is some rule where he may be able to move if the Saints don't offer the equivalent promotion. Maybe someone can fill us in.

Philosophically, I guess Payton feels that he will not hold his coaches back from moving if it's what they want. Whereas Parcells takes it case-by-case (he did let Gibbs go to the Saints, but held up Sparano). Damn, now that I think of it, maybe he IS being hypocritical! :)

Carmichael is a loss. Hate to see him go. Good guy too.

Yeah I hope this isn't one of those things where in mid season next year we say oh yeah remember when we lost our QB's coach. It was a bigger loss than we first thought.

What we don't know is whether Payton was going to renew their contracts! There was a blip a week or two ago regarding the fact that Payton may have a couple of open positions. thus this may have been in the works anyway.
If we see a qucik replacement, like we say with the DL coach, then it will tell me that perhaps this was already moving to that end!

What we don't know is whether Payton was going to renew their contracts! There was a blip a week or two ago regarding the fact that Payton may have a couple of open positions. thus this may have been in the works anyway.
If we see a qucik replacement, like we say with the DL coach, then it will tell me that perhaps this was already moving to that end!

I don't believe Bonamego or Carmichael were the two to be replaced. I think Payton would like to retain Carmichael in particular. The Dolphins position represents something of a promotion however for Carmichael, i'm not sure what kind of bone Payton can throw to Carmichael in order to keep him. Co-Offensive Coordinator alongside Marrone? Passing game coordinator? Strikes me as too many chefs in the kitchen unless Payton himself were to relinquish some power (not going to happen). The Assistant Head Coach position is already held by Joe Vitt.

Bonemago isn't much of a loss considering that special teams was probably worse than defense for most of the year, if that's possible.
Not sure about Carmichael as Payton would probably spend as much time as him with the QBs but when the coach of your team's best player's position leaves, it will always be a bit of a blow. I hope Drew isn't too annoyed by this.

Bonemago isn't much of a loss considering that special teams was probably worse than defense for most of the year, if that's possible.
Not sure about Carmichael as Payton would probably spend as much time as him with the QBs but when the coach of your team's best player's position leaves, it will always be a bit of a blow. I hope Drew isn't too annoyed by this.

Because if he can mold them into good quarterbacks he could quickly be in line for an offensive coordinator job somewhere.

Not sure how the QB coach departure will impact Brees. Drew has proven he is as smart as any coach but there are still needs for a good QB coach I think.

Carmichael was with Brees back in SD, too. I hope it will not be a big issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom