Dolphins lose two picks (1st and 3rd) and fined for (attempted) tanking and contract tampering (including Payton) (1 Viewer)

Which means Brady wanted to come to New Orleans.. and Brees came back because of it and Brady phone call was dissing Brees

Where is our compensation for damages!!!

People say that we would have won with Brady! I seriously doubt that! We saw what happened with Brady when he lost some of his receivers. Not saying he isn’t damn good, unfortunately he is, but when he lost some of his all-star WR crew, he scored 0 points vs us.

Brees last year, we didn’t really have MT. So Tampa had 3-4 Wrs that were better than our #1!

Seems only fair that Goodell give us those picks. Easy, peezy, Japaneezy.

I don't see how anyone can say Payton quit on that team. He did more with the Saints with less last season than any other coach could have done, including Belichick. Took a team with a gutted roster and lost a franchise QB, beat the Brady-led Super Bowl champs twice and came out of it with a winning season. Almost made the playoffs. The idea that he quit is absurd.

He laid it all out there and was ready to move on, that's it.
It's subjective. He did leave. Apparently taking a one year TV deal and putting out three teams he would coach. So there's that.

Since you could make the argument that another team contacting him and letting him know there was more money and benefits to be had if he coached elsewhere definitely could've influenced the Saints losing their coach plus just what happened in general. Doesn't it seem that the Saints are directly owed some sort of compensation or have the right to sue the Dolphins/Ross for their interference?

We all know there have been plenty of times that NFL teams threw games intentionally for draft position. Mistreat a coach badly enough and give him no reason to hold back and he'll shine a light on things we all like to pretend doesn't happen.
Ownership may want to throw games for draft position. I never believed the players do. If they played poorly to fix a game, they may not have a job the following season.

Gayle seems like the type who might feel betrayed by something like this. I believe she does everything she can to support her executives, coaches and players, and expects nothing back except hard work and loyalty.

Sean had a pretty sweet deal here, he could pretty much do what he wanted. I would have felt betrayed if I were her. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this, he did it wrong.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she asked him to step away so they could both move forward without public damage to either party in a nasty separation.

We need a leader who wants to be here. Sean made it clear, publicly and privately now, that he was no longer that guy.

Last edited:
Gayle seems like the type who might feel betrayed by something like this. I believe she does everything she can to support her executives, coaches and players, and expects nothing back except hard work and loyalty.

Sean had a pretty seeet deal here, he could pretty much do what he wanted. I would have felt betrayed if I were her. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this, he did it wrong.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she asked him to step away so they could both move forward without public damage to either party in a nasty separation.

We need a leader who wants to be here. Sean made it clear, publicly and privately now, that he was no longer that guy.
What exactly did he do wrong?
He didn’t threaten to quit during the season?
He didn’t go the Doug Marone route and openly campaign for a more high profile job when he was in Buffalo. Which ironically got him sent to Jacksonville.
He’s been complimentary of the Saints and the city, even after he left.

I agree with this - the problem isn’t that Payton shouldn’t be free to do what he wants or that he somehow owes the Saints something. I think most of us recognize that.

But he’s under contract and under both common law and league policy, deals to pull somebody away from an active contractual relationship are foul.
I agree 100%.

Imagine a world where the Cowboys, just estimated to be the most valuable franchise in all sports, could just call up Patrick Mahomes and say, "hey, we know you're under contract, but act disgruntled, pretend to be injured, miss some games, and we'll engineer a lowball draft pick trade while the Chiefs are between a rock and a hard place, and we'll make it worthwhile to you by paying you more $$." That's one scenario tampering rules are there to avoid.

Ross, Payton & Brady tried to pull a fast one & got their hand caught in the cookie jar. Honestly I don't know what they were thinking, and how they thought this scheme possibly could have worked. Not much sympathy for any of them. League can't really punish Payton or Brady, but if I were the Saints I'd extract a maximum price for Payton. Saints owe Sean a lot, but he was well compensated for his services. When he quit he was all business, so Saints should treat things from here on out as business. It's not personal.

Al Davis got two first-round picks, two second-round picks & $8 million for Gruden from the Bucs in 2002. And Gruden had never won a Super bowl. If I were Bensen I wouldn't take any less for Payton.

Last edited:
Man, some of y'all are still REALLY salty about Payton leaving. Seriously, get over it. The man is in business for himself. He was here for 15 years, did things no other coach has done in the history of the franchise, then wanted to move on. There is NOTHING wrong with that. He didn't "quit on the team", he wasn't "born to coach the Saints". He had other jobs before the Saints, and he'll probably have other jobs after. He just decided it was time to leave. He's not your ex-girlfriend that ran away with Chad. He's just a football coach.

It's freakin' football, y'all.
Then he shouldn't have signed his last contract with the Saints. The fact is he QUIT while under contract and as such he had no right to attempt to go to another team without the Saints permission.

Actually they did make him an offer but it was much lower than Drew wanted. (Same with the Chargers).

“Look when the Miami Dolphins were going to sign Drew Brees, Drew was coming to Miami when I was the coach there. He was going to be the quarterback. That’s all we needed. We just went 9-7 and all we needed was a quarterback to be a playoff team. We were going to sign Drew Brees as a free agent. Dr. (James) Andrews operated on him and I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Andrews, and he said it’ll be fine. Our doctors failed him on the physical. (Drew) was there to sign with us. I actually made a deal with his agent that he wouldn’t tell anybody for 72 hours he failed his physical until New Orleans signed him. That’s how he ended up in New Orleans.

So, I decided right then when that happened that we don’t have a quarterback in the NFL, we’re not going to win. I’m getting out of here. I’m not staying here. I’m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn’t know his (rear end) from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn’t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can’t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why. There’s always a reason.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom