Dolphins lose two picks (1st and 3rd) and fined for (attempted) tanking and contract tampering (including Payton) (1 Viewer)

I'm not seeing how you all are connecting these dots this far. Miami contated Sean's agent impermissably before he retired. But the Saints declining to allow them to contact him came AFTER he retired. We don't know anything else here. We don't know if there was a conversation about this withing out FO before he retired or not.
Have you ever heard of a story where a married woman has a questionable male friend, but yet she tells her husband not to worry about him? Yet she finds a reason to divorce her current husband, but not too long afterwards, she's spotted on a date with the same guy?

As it relates to SP (and you've made this statement quite well) we don't know. However the timing of the contact, his retirement & story will cause anyone to draw and connect dots.

If i'm not mistaken, didn't Doug Marone pull a similar move a few years ago? It's not out of the realm of possibility for a person to do that.

Man, some of y'all are still REALLY salty about Payton leaving. Seriously, get over it. The man is in business for himself. He was here for 15 years, did things no other coach has done in the history of the franchise, then wanted to move on. There is NOTHING wrong with that. He didn't "quit on the team", he wasn't "born to coach the Saints". He had other jobs before the Saints, and he'll probably have other jobs after. He just decided it was time to leave. He's not your ex-girlfriend that ran away with Chad. He's just a football coach.

It's freakin' football, y'all.
He should of left at the end of his contract and not signed another then. He quit in the middle of his contract. When the next player decides to quit on his team, keep this same energy.

Ross, Payton & Brady tried to pull a fast one & got their hand caught in the cookie jar. Honestly I don't know what they were thinking, and how they thought this scheme possibly could have worked. Not much sympathy for any of them. League can't really punish Payton or Brady, but if I were the Saints I'd extract a maximum price for Payton. Saints owe Sean a lot, but he was well compensated for his services. When he quit he was all business, so Saints should treat things from here on out as business. It's not personal.

Al Davis got two first-round picks, two second-round picks & $8 million for Gruden from the Bucs in 2002. And Gruden had never won a Super bowl. If I were Bensen I wouldn't take any less for Payton.
Wait, hold up. You just said he didn't quit. Now he did? Not tracking . . .

Have you ever heard of a story where a married woman has a questionable male friend, but yet she tells her husband not to worry about him? Yet she finds a reason to divorce her current husband, but not too long afterwards, she's spotted on a date with the same guy?

As it relates to SP (and you've made this statement quite well) we don't know. However the timing of the contact, his retirement & story will cause anyone to draw and connect dots.

If i'm not mistaken, didn't Doug Marone pull a similar move a few years ago? It's not out of the realm of possibility for a person to do that.
I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that Payton and Brady “retired” within days of each other.

The plan didn’t come together and Brady had an easier route back from “retirement” whereas Payton had been replaced and had no way back in.

That’s how it looks without knowing all of the ins and outs.

I said he didn’t quit on the team. Meaning, he gave it all his last season and didn’t mentally check out early.

I mean, obviously as a practical matter he left once the season was over.
He quit. His contract is not up. He had (allegedly) inappropriate contact with another team while under the contract. He then said he needs time but will come back . . . That is quitting.

Wait, hold up. You just said he didn't quit. Now he did? Not tracking . . .
I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that Payton and Brady “retired” within days of each other.

The plan didn’t come together and Brady had an easier route back from “retirement” whereas Payton had been replaced and had no way back in.

That’s how it looks without knowing all of the ins and outs.
Payton not only talked with the Dolphins he also talked with Saints assistant coaches, to see who of them would be interested in going to Miami with him. It seemingly is no coincidence, that Payton and Brady both have the same agent. (This comes from an NFL writer, who is an insider type, talking at length on WWL 870 this evening. His name escapes me. I am sure it can be found on Audacy to replay).

I think the Saints got wind of what was happening and essentially offered Payton an easy out, before he could land himself in more trouble. I think his emotional goodbye was real, but not for the fact he wanted to retire. It was because he knew he would not be coaching again until after his current contract was up. I also think, the NFL probably told him he would be banned from coaching as punishment for talking with a team when the Saints denied the Dolphins from talking to him. He did it anyway. In the end, it just looks like Payton retired, instead of being banished by the league. And had the Saints not found out (I think the NFL told the Saints what went down), he would still be the coach of the Saints. Payton burned his bridge.

The first round pick taken from Miami should go to the Saints. Saints should make a really big stink about this with the NFL right now since now they have the "official" punishment by the league and a league "finding" that Miami tampered with Sean Payton while he was under contract.

I think Super44's post above comes close to what I am thinking also. Miami tampered with Payton, Payton went so far as the talk to assistant coaches on the Saints staff while still under contract, it was then almost a "mutual" decision between the Saints and Payton that he was "retiring" but the Saints made him pull the trigger on the decision so that they could retain his rights through the 2024 season.

I don't think the Saints will be doing any "favors" to Sean Payton if he calls about coaching in 2023 without exacting a huge ransom to whatever team wants him. Saints 100% hold his rights and I would make it known throughout the league that any "discussions" with Sean Payton, his agent, or any "representatives" have to go through the Saints or be done with the Saints explicit approval and knowledge. I would go so far as to demand that the Saints be cc'd on any emails or texts regarding Sean Payton wanting to coach again.

I understand how some people feel:
Sean Payton was great, he brought us a championship.
It's a business, he stayed a VERY long time.
He helped build a great organization. (We will see if it was Payton or Loomis in the next 3 years.)
He has a "right" to retire/quit/want something different.
-----All Valid Points-----

On the other hand:
He was under contract with the Saints, a contract that runs through 2024.
He went behind the back of the Saints and negotiated with Miami.
AND.....Miami got popped with a fairly severe sanction for tampering with the Saints Head Coach...who was under contract.
It's a business, and Saints have a right to be "upset" that their coach, who was under contract for 3 more years.....went behind their back and started discussions with Miami. (I would guess that the beginning of the "deal" a few years ago for Payton to go to Dallas also started as a back room deal behind the backs of the Saints and then the discussions were approved by the Saints.)

Let him do his broadcasting gig for a year, he might be the next John Madden, or the next Drew Brees in the studio.

Dallas wants him after the season, two 1st and two 2nd round picks, plus some cash. I think Miami is off the board now since they lost two picks. Sorry Sean, it's just business.

I think we deserve the Dolphins 1st just for the tampering plus whatever we’re going to get from the team that eventually lands him.

Why not?

The NFL never ceased to punish him when he was our HC. Now make it a point and send a message to all the other teams that if you’re caught tampering, your next years 1st and possibly more is going to the team the coach is trying to leave.

No hard feelings. It’s just business. Plus I’d want the NFL to block the tampering team from being able to sign said coach for 5yrs at minimum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom