Dolphins lose two picks (1st and 3rd) and fined for (attempted) tanking and contract tampering (including Payton) (1 Viewer)

Here's what I've learned about Sean and Drew. You might be a great coach or QB, but that doesn't mean you automatically make good business decisions. Sports smarts and business smarts are two different things.

The first round pick taken from Miami should go to the Saints. Saints should make a really big stink about this with the NFL right now since now they have the "official" punishment by the league and a league "finding" that Miami tampered with Sean Payton while he was under contract.

I think Super44's post above comes close to what I am thinking also. Miami tampered with Payton, Payton went so far as the talk to assistant coaches on the Saints staff while still under contract, it was then almost a "mutual" decision between the Saints and Payton that he was "retiring" but the Saints made him pull the trigger on the decision so that they could retain his rights through the 2024 season.

I don't think the Saints will be doing any "favors" to Sean Payton if he calls about coaching in 2023 without exacting a huge ransom to whatever team wants him. Saints 100% hold his rights and I would make it known throughout the league that any "discussions" with Sean Payton, his agent, or any "representatives" have to go through the Saints or be done with the Saints explicit approval and knowledge. I would go so far as to demand that the Saints be cc'd on any emails or texts regarding Sean Payton wanting to coach again.

I understand how some people feel:
Sean Payton was great, he brought us a championship.
It's a business, he stayed a VERY long time.
He helped build a great organization. (We will see if it was Payton or Loomis in the next 3 years.)
He has a "right" to retire/quit/want something different.
-----All Valid Points-----

On the other hand:
He was under contract with the Saints, a contract that runs through 2024.
He went behind the back of the Saints and negotiated with Miami.
AND.....Miami got popped with a fairly severe sanction for tampering with the Saints Head Coach...who was under contract.
It's a business, and Saints have a right to be "upset" that their coach, who was under contract for 3 more years.....went behind their back and started discussions with Miami. (I would guess that the beginning of the "deal" a few years ago for Payton to go to Dallas also started as a back room deal behind the backs of the Saints and then the discussions were approved by the Saints.)

Let him do his broadcasting gig for a year, he might be the next John Madden, or the next Drew Brees in the studio.

Dallas wants him after the season, two 1st and two 2nd round picks, plus some cash. I think Miami is off the board now since they lost two picks. Sorry Sean, it's just business.
If this is true, doesn't it also hurt Payton's value? He's essentially damaged goods. If\when he returns, I can't see the league suddenly forgetting about the vendetta. He essentially brings questionable officiating and a knife to stab you between the shoulder blades if he sees an opportunity. I don't think I risk any high draft choices on that.

I'm not seeing how you all are connecting these dots this far. Miami contated Sean's agent impermissably before he retired. But the Saints declining to allow them to contact him came AFTER he retired. We don't know anything else here. We don't know if there was a conversation about this withing out FO before he retired or not.

Not only that, but Payton himself said that Miami contacted his agent in an interview awhile back. He said he didn't have any talks with Miami himself and that if he wanted to continue coaching, he would have just stayed in New Orleans and had no interest in Miami.

All I see here is exactly what Payton has already said out loud on record.

Folks are really stretching this out where Payton is concerned.

If this is true, doesn't it also hurt Payton's value? He's essentially damaged goods. If\when he returns, I can't see the league suddenly forgetting about the vendetta. He essentially brings questionable officiating and a knife to stab you between the shoulder blades if he sees an opportunity. I don't think I risk any high draft choices on that.
Payton retired/left the Saints after sixteen years. After a little over a decade and a half.
This isn’t like the NBA where coaches/players jump every two or three seasons.

Not only that, but Payton himself said that Miami contacted his agent in an interview awhile back. He said he didn't have any talks with Miami himself and that if he wanted to continue coaching, he would have just stayed in New Orleans and had no interest in Miami.

I think it was Dan Patrick. He said that there were a few back channel talks.

Payton not only talked with the Dolphins he also talked with Saints assistant coaches, to see who of them would be interested in going to Miami with him. It seemingly is no coincidence, that Payton and Brady both have the same agent. (This comes from an NFL writer, who is an insider type, talking at length on WWL 870 this evening. His name escapes me. I am sure it can be found on Audacy to replay).

I think the Saints got wind of what was happening and essentially offered Payton an easy out, before he could land himself in more trouble. I think his emotional goodbye was real, but not for the fact he wanted to retire. It was because he knew he would not be coaching again until after his current contract was up. I also think, the NFL probably told him he would be banned from coaching as punishment for talking with a team when the Saints denied the Dolphins from talking to him. He did it anyway. In the end, it just looks like Payton retired, instead of being banished by the league. And had the Saints not found out (I think the NFL told the Saints what went down), he would still be the coach of the Saints. Payton burned his bridge.
I listened to the same interview. He came off to me as legit.

Payton lied. He spoke to coaches on his staff to see their interest in leaving to go with him to the Dolphins. He had talks with the Dolphins.

Payton lied. He spoke to coaches on his staff to see their interest in leaving to go with him to the Dolphins. He had talks with the Dolphins.
Is it confirmed? Because it just seems like the Dolphins contacted his agent and that’s what got them in trouble.

At best it will make the team think twice about his loyalty and wonder if he will try something like that in the future.

However stuff like this happens in the NBA all the time.
Small market teams get crapped on and Payton said it himself that when he was taking this job, others around him were telling him that New Orleans isn't an attractive job and how it's a small market, etc.

I guess considering our success, I never thought we'd be talking about this happening in the NFL, let alone our own coach.

At best it will make the team think twice about his loyalty and wonder if he will try something like that in the future.

However stuff like this happens in the NBA all the time.
Small market teams get crapped on and Payton said it himself that when he was taking this job, others around him were telling him that New Orleans isn't an attractive job and how it's a small market, etc.

I guess considering our success, I never thought we'd be talking about this happening in the NFL, let alone our own coach.
He spent 16 years in NOLA, the small market excuse doesn’t work this time.

Right. Unlike some, I actually think CSP retired because he truly was burnt out. Not from coaching itself, but from the league pooping on him and his team every chance they got. I beleive something came to a head earlier in the season just before he stepped down from the competition committee...possible a negative engagement with ole Roger himself.

When SP first stepped down I thought Gayle might do him a solid and not demand a lot for him when he chooses his next team. Now, not so much. If he was really talking to his assistants trying to find out who he could get to come with him then yeah, that's a little much. I think Gayle and Loomis will feel like this was a betrayal and they will demand a lot for SP. If they get what they ask for great. If they don't then so be it. I don't see them doing him any favors.

Now if the Dolphins just contacted his agent then whatever. That's just part of big business. Happens all the time. Just have to go through back channels and cover your tracks. But if SP was trying to cobble together a staff to take with him to Miami that's different. That's greasy.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't think SP would be around very long after Drew retired. For some reason I always saw them as a package deal.

Right. Unlike some, I actually think CSP retired because he truly was burnt out. Not from coaching itself, but from the league pooping on him and his team every chance they got. I beleive something came to a head earlier in the season just before he stepped down from the competition committee...possible a negative engagement with ole Roger himself.
But if he said he was going to return to coaching (a different team), did he really retire?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom