Dolphins lose two picks (1st and 3rd) and fined for (attempted) tanking and contract tampering (including Payton) (1 Viewer)

Agreed Payton/Brees were a package deal of sorts. I read Payton's book "Home Team" back when it came out in 2010. The book details his relationship with Brees and shows that Payton is a guy that likes to have fun (he parties). After reading that I knew he would, at some point, leave and I figured it would be around Brees's retirement. I never believed he would stick with us to retirement (like a Bill Belichick situation). Just happy we got another 11 years out of him after that.

Were they under contract at the time of their "retirement"?
I think the Patriots got some picks from NE when he went to NY.
And Holmgren got traded.
Dungy got traded.
Gruden got traded.

Were they under contract at the time of their "retirement"?
I'm not sure what that has to do with it. If CSP decided to come back before his contract has expired, the Saints still own the rights to his contract. He cannot go work for any other NFL team without going through the Saints first. Retiring doesn't get you an automatic out of your contract. That goes for both players and coaches.

Justice would be if the Saints got the Dolphins first round pick. They tampered with our team. The coach they tampered with retired out of nowhere. Even if he did not the level of the owner being involved is an insult to Mrs. Benson. Her team should be compensated as well as the Dolphins should be punished. This is the biggest identified instance of tampering in NFL history and should be treated as such. It involves two hall of famers. The Bucs got their player back on a technicality. The Saints did not. I would be open to the Bucs getting the mid round pick and the Saints getting the high round pick because the offense is not siloed to one franchise it also has negative impacts on other franchises.

I think the Patriots got some picks from NE when he went to NY.
And Holmgren got traded.
Dungy got traded.
Gruden got traded.
Endings often aren't neat and clean. Coaches under contract are fired all the time. It's a two-way street and anybody in pro sports knows and understands that.
I'm not sure what that has to do with it. If CSP decided to come back before his contract has expired, the Saints still own the rights to his contract. He cannot go work for any other NFL team without going through the Saints first. Retiring doesn't get you an automatic out of your contract. That goes for both players and coaches.
Trade would indicate that it was the team making a decision.

Fired and quitting are two different things.

It has everything to do with it. Payton was looking for a way out while under contract. He had no plans of retiring. He wanted a different venue. All he had to do was be honest about it and go from there. He signed a contract and left when things go testy for him by making up a retirement story.

It has everything to do with it. Payton was looking for a way out while under contract. He had no plans of retiring. He wanted a different venue. All he had to do was be honest about it and go from there. He signed a contract and left when things go testy for him by making up a retirement story.
Holmgren resigned from GB to accept a job in Seattle.

Fired and quitting are both the result of a party in an arrangement deciding it doesn't work anymore.

If Payton didn't want to be here anymore - whatever his reasoning - do you really want a guy just riding it out until the terms of his contract are met?

Fired and quitting are both the result of a party in an arrangement deciding it doesn't work anymore.

If Payton didn't want to be here anymore - whatever his reasoning - do you really want a guy just riding it out until the terms of his contract are met?
Fired is generally because the individual has broken some law, rule, regulation, or the performance is substandard. Quitting is the individual, for whatever reason, doesn't want to be there.
If Payton didn't want to be in NO, 1) he shouldn't have reupped his contract, 2) he should of said so instead of the false narrative of retirement. It's not like he wants to be a Walmart greeter or something, he wants to continue coaching, just not here. So it's not a retirement.

Fired is generally because the individual has broken some law, rule, regulation, or the performance is substandard. Quitting is the individual, for whatever reason, doesn't want to be there.
If Payton didn't want to be in NO, 1) he shouldn't have reupped his contract, 2) he should of said so instead of the false narrative of retirement. It's not like he wants to be a Walmart greeter or something, he wants to continue coaching, just not here. So it's not a retirement.

So only the employer can have cause to want to end a work arrangement? You've never left a job before?

Payton very likely felt one way when he signed the contract extension and another when he realized it was time for him to move on. Again, that's never happened with you in your career? Job was what you wanted then, over time, it wasn't?

So only the employer can have cause to want to end a work arrangement? You've never left a job before?

Payton very likely felt one way when he signed the contract extension and another when he realized it was time for him to move on. Again, that's never happened with you in your career? Job was what you wanted then, over time, it wasn't?
I have left plenty of jobs, but I wasn't contractually obliged to stay there either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom