Dolphins: No. 1 pick put up for sale (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland might as well have put the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL draft on eBay.

When asked by the NFL Network about the team's approach with the top selection, Ireland said: "We're open for business."

Minutes later, he backed up his willingness to deal the pick by pointing out the 1-15 team he inherited has many needs.

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and this won't be built in a day either," Ireland said. "The No. 1 pick is no different from the 22nd pick. You've got to make the right selection. You just can't miss on it. We're going to do everything in our power to make the right choices, whether it be to take the pick or move down. We'll listen to all offers."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...l-flspdolphins24sbjan24,0,7405964,print.story

This is a bad year to have the #1 pick IMO... There really isn't any player that is the clear-cut #1 guy. The Dolphins aren't going to get what they want for the pick, and will end up settling for someone there.

I found another article from back when Parcells was first hired. It sounds like he wanted to trade the #1 then too.

For a man who said he has no desire to be the general manager, new Dolphins Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells sure sounded as if he will be "shopping for the groceries" next April.

"Any team that has won one game, or hopefully two games, this year needs a volume of players," Parcells said during his introductory news conference Thursday. "But getting someone to be interested in that No. 1 pick is not as simple as just saying, 'OK, we're going to trade the pick.'
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins30sbdec30,0,3685326.story

This was also interesting:
...Parcells has always favored defense; he has used his top pick to choose a defensive player in eight of his last 11 drafts. It would've been nine, but Parcells was overruled by Patriots owner Robert Kraft in his last season (1996) in Foxborough, when they selected wide receiver Terry Glenn over his choice, defensive end Tony Brackens.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins30sbdec30,0,3685326.story

we wouldn't have the ammo, like them we just need to make the right pick

I could see old Al Davis get enamoured with McFadden and make the move. Oakland hasn't had that kind of talent at RB since Bo knows hip injury. Fargas is a UFA, and McFadden and JaMarcus would make a deadly tandem for the future

I could see old Al Davis get enamoured with McFadden and make the move. Oakland hasn't had that kind of talent at RB since Bo knows hip injury. Fargas is a UFA, and McFadden and JaMarcus would make a deadly tandem for the future

The way Al Davis looked when I saw him eating dinner before the Green Bay game on Dec 9th, I doubt he knows who McFadden is. He looked like death.

Death in a black warm-up?

He had a suit on, was with about 6 other people and none of them looked to be under 65. He was also in a wheel chair. This was at Lombardi's which is located in the Paper Valley Hotel (team hotel) in Appleton.

Does anybody think the Saints should trade up for Dorsey?

Does anybody think the Saints should trade up for Dorsey?

I'd be really ****** if we did that. We'd be selling an entire draft to move up and get an injured DT. As good as he is or could be, it isn't near about worth the risk/price. We have way to many needs and there is so much talent in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds. We need those picks.

interesting that he uses the 22nd pick as comparision, hint hint

I'd be really ****** if we did that. We'd be selling an entire draft to move up and get an injured DT. As good as he is or could be, it isn't near about worth the risk/price. We have way to many needs and there is so much talent in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds. We need those picks.

Injured? How? There's this thing called healing, look into it.

Injured? How? There's this thing called healing, look into it.

Theres a thing called value and risk. Hes been hurt twice in college so there is some risk. He isn't worth what it would cost to get him. I thought I made that clear.

BPA at 10 + our 1st next year/2nd/3rd round picks this year or whatever outrageous price it would cost to get him >>>> Dorsey alone.

This is a bad year to have the #1 pick IMO... There really isn't any player that is the clear-cut #1 guy. The Dolphins aren't going to get what they want for the pick, and will end up settling for someone there.

I agree. In recent times, trading the #1 overall pick usually requires that there is a clear cut player there (usually a QB) that is not only a need but the best player available in the draft. I just don't see one this year. You could make an arguement for McFadden, Dorsey, Long, and even Ryan... but they are all very debatable arguements. I personally think that no team will look to move up to that #1 spot, and the Fins will just have to go out on a limb and take the player that they have rated the highest.

If a trade is going to happen in the top 10... I'd say picks 3-8 are the mostly likely to have some movement this year.

I would look for Dallas to make a move on this, for Mcfadden, but they would have to give up too much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom