Dolphins release T.J. McDonald (1 Viewer)

I hope we got a short list to bring in to improve the oline depth. It's rough.

Would he be an upgrade for us?

Sean Payton has said that the decisions that will have to be made at the safety position are going to be extremely difficult and you're asking if a guy who was released after the third preseason game would be an upgrade??

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Sean Payton has said that the decisions that will have to be made at the safety position are going to be extremely difficult and you're asking if a guy who was released after the third preseason game would be an upgrade??

Well he was released because the Dolphins are a rebuilding mode and they are releasing for his 5 million salary not he play.

The guy did have 86 tackles and 3 Int last season.

Are you saying if we brought him in as our 3rd safety, he wouldn’t be an upgrade over Chris Banjo?

Are you saying if we brought him in as our 3rd safety, he wouldn’t be an upgrade over Chris Banjo?
When you consider everything, maybe not.

If he is signed as an upgrade over Banjo, then what? He sits until there's an injury and gets paid way more than Banjo to do that. Plus he would need to replace Banjo on special teams and is he that much better on ST to be worth the extra pay?

With Banjo you have a cheaper option to sit the bench and play special teams. Why pay someone more to do the same thing?

This is the kind of stuff that has to be considered. At the bottom of the roster you need ST talent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There is also the cap to consider. Sign someone like that and those millions can't go to Kamara next year and you get little to no return on your investment vs Banjo.

Now if CSP thinks he can replace one of our starters who we could then trade - different story. But that's not the case.

TJ Mcdonald is good, but I think Marcus Williams is better. The guy I'd love to see us go after is Josh Jones. He can play SS and LB. I think he'd be great fit for us.

Say what you want about Banjo, but the guy is solid. Whenever he is asked to step on the field he holds his own; maybe not the guy you want in every week for every play but certainly in a pinch and if I recall correctly he has a few turnovers under his belt. Id rather that on the cheap than some other teams cast off.

The guy did have 86 tackles and 3 Int last season.

He might be worth it if he would be a legit starter but I don't see that happening and as someone already pointed out Banjo is one of the better players on special teams on the Saints roster.

He might be an upgrade over Banjo playing safety but I highly doubt that he would be an upgrade over the guys starting for the Saints.

To be fair the Saints have released some good players who went on have phenomenal careers!

He might be worth it if he would be a legit starter but I don't see that happening and as someone already pointed out Banjo is one of the better players on special teams on the Saints roster.

He might be an upgrade over Banjo playing safety but I highly doubt that he would be an upgrade over the guys starting for the Saints.

Ok... he'd be an upgrade over Banjo at S.

Apparently the original post wasn't as off-the-wall as you made it out to be. That's all I'm saying.

As for someone saying Banjo is "on the cheap"... he's making 2.3 million a year. He's a very solid special teams player (and probably a good locker room guy) who struggles in coverage and therefore is rarely involved on defense. I'd say it is debatable if that's on the cheap.

I don't dislike Banjo at all. I just don't think it was crazy to wonder if TJ McDonald would upgrade the safety position group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom