Dolphins to cut Zach Thomas (1 Viewer)

There's no way you can properly fill all of the holes on defense in 1 offseason with young players. The salary cap hinders you too much in the way of prime players, i.e, Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, DT Henderson etc. You can sign one of them, your own free agents and a draft class (this doesn't even address Colston, Smith and Evans) in a year. I say its a good move to sign Z. Thomas if you can get him at the vet minimun, spend big bucks on another position, DT or CB this year. Z. Thomas can get you through this year. Next year sign another high dollar free agent at a position that didn't get the attention in the previous offseason. Fill in the gaps as needed through the draft, go to the Super Bowl. Nothing to it!!

Let's see, he had 52 tackles in 5 games last year, the year before, he had 165. So he got injured for the 1st time in his career and missed most of the season, but otherwise has NOT shown any drop off at this time. Work him out, give him a physical and if he passes SIGN HIM. He is SOOOOO much better than we have. BTW Simoneau and Shanle combined for 139 last year.

Last edited:
Vet minimum and locker room presence. No other reason to sign Zach. And I am a HUGE Zach Thomas fan. Been watching since junior high it feels like. ;0)

If he can pass a physical, he would definitely be worth bringing in.

I am sure the patriots were thinking the same when they signed Junior Seau. I think it has work fine with him.

If we had Bill Belicheck, Adalius Thomas, Asante Samuel, Vince Wolfork, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, and a crack video crew Mark Simoneoux would've looked great too.

TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF BK PD INT YDS AVG LNG

Adalius Thomas 79 58 21 6.5 6 2 0 8 1 65 65.0 65

Junior Seau 73 57 16 3.5 6 0 0 4 3 28 9.3 23

Wonder who was the better value?

TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF BK PD INT YDS AVG LNG

Adalius Thomas 79 58 21 6.5 6 2 0 8 1 65 65.0 65

Junior Seau 73 57 16 3.5 6 0 0 4 3 28 9.3 23

Wonder who was the better value?
I wonder what Seau's stats would look like without Thomas taking all the blockers attention?

I would sign Thomas in an instant for a reasonable salary. Come on, at 34 he it 10x better than anything we have at MLB.

So you don't think Zach Thomas gets a lot of attention?

Not like Adalius does. I'm sure he gets some attention when he actually plays. We went with older value players last free agency. We are becoming the place linebackers go to die.

These are the exact same statements that were made about London Fletcher last year. He is getting old. But these guys are still producing and bring a leadership to the defense that makes 2nd and 3rd round picks play like 1st round picks.

Let's see, he had 52 tackles in 5 games last year, the year before, he had 165. So he got injured for the 1st time in his career and missed most of the season, but otherwise has NOT shown any drop off at this time. Work him out, give him a physical and if he passes SIGN HIM. He is SOOOOO much better than we have. BTW Simoneau and Shanle combined for 139 last year.

That's more than Simoneau had his entire Saints career. /sacasm off (well, not really). I wouldn't turn my nose up to a player that's better than we have just because he's long in the tooth. I say sign him to a small contract. The risk is small and the reward could end up paying dividends(sp?) for a year or two, or maybe even three.

stadanko said:
If we had Bill Belicheck, Adalius Thomas, Asante Samuel, Vince Wolfork, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, and a crack video crew Mark Simoneoux would've looked great too.

Only if the crack video crew was great at CGI techniques.

We are becoming the place linebackers go after they die.

Fixed it for you.

You'd have to think about Thomas. I remember when Sam Mills was a declining player. He kept declining for a number of years in a Panthers uniform, but it was real, real hard to see.

I'd sign him IF:
1) he was cleared from his past concussions and injuries.
2) he would sign a 1 yr deal.
3) he was inexpensive.

Seeing as how I don't think #2 or #3 will ever happen, there's no chance he ends up in N.O.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom