Dome Patrol vs. 2009 Defense (1 Viewer)

I hate how people have been trying to compare this team to some of the greatest unit we've seen in the last 20 years! Last week we were as good as the "greatest show on turf" and now our D is going to be better than the dome patrol....
Let's be real here, this team hasn't done anything so far.

the dome patrol was basically 4 guys, the d line was sub par.

I disagree with your assessment that the d-line was sub-par. Wayne Martin, Jim Wilks, Frank Warren were all solid, so were Bruce Clark and Joe Johnson. The D-line was one of the main reasons the dome patrol had the success that they had.

The Dome Patrol Vs. Vilma, Fujita and Shanle? Sorry man, its not even close. I dont see our linebackers striking fear in other offenses like they did.

Dome Patrol was like another poster pointed out, a legendary defense, led by 4 Pro Bowl LB's. I take some mild exceptions to the "sub-par D-line" comment, Frank Warren, Jim Wilks, Wayne Martin, and Renaldo Turnbull were anything but mediocre, along with Dave Waymer, Gene Atkins, and perhaps Toi Cook. Bobby Hebert may have been a better QB if not for Carl Smith's completely flat offensive schemes. IIRC, Hebert told an interviewer when he was with Atlanta that his biggest beefs with Mora and Smith was they never allowed the offense to open up more, and on more then a few occasions he changed plays in the huddle because he knew that the call that came in was ineffective but they would never change it. Mora and Hebert, back in those days were never the best of friends, at best they acted congenial towards each other. But after Jim Finks played hardball with Hebert and lost in 1990, his trust in the Saints FO took a serious blow, and it never fully recovered for many years.

IMO, the biggest regret I have of the Haslett's era was that we now know what kind of team we so easily could have been, because we're seeing many of the same parts kicking *** right now, we were capable of doing that 6,7, 8 YEARS AGO, but the sad fact is that wasn't a Drew Brees riding the ship. If we had Brees back in the 2002, 2003, hell even the 2004 seasons we'd be the division champs, maybe gone to a SB or two. **** me Jake Delhomme is ancient history right now to most Saints fans right now. Why? Because #9 has given us all of what Brooks AND Delhomme were supposed to do and then some.

If you subtract Aaron Brooks for Drew Brees those 3 crucial seasons, we would have won more games, been a perennial playoff contender, and Deuce might have rushed for more yards. My God, he might still be the starting RB right now for the Saints.

It's a troubling thing to consider especially in light of what we could have done as opposed to having our seasons end in such disappointment.

When we get our points per game under 13 (including ST and defensive TDs) then we approach the neighborhood of the Dome Patrol.

Dome Patrol would dominate.

Of course, that doesn't really demean the current D at all.

I disagree with your assessment that the d-line was sub-par. Wayne Martin, Jim Wilks, Frank Warren were all solid, so were Bruce Clark and Joe Johnson. The D-line was one of the main reasons the dome patrol had the success that they had.

yes.. the weak point of those defenses was the secondary. Brett Maxie, Johnny Poe, Dave Waymer, and Toi Cook :covri:

thanks a lot for THOSE memories :jpshakehead:

yes.. the weak point of those defenses was the secondary. Brett Maxie, Johnny Poe, Dave Waymer, and Toi Cook :covri:

thanks a lot for THOSE memories :jpshakehead:

no kidding:ezbill: but you got to admit how refreshing how well our DB's are now compared to then or any other time in this franchise's history

Dome Patrol was like another poster pointed out, a legendary defense, led by 4 Pro Bowl LB's. I take some mild exceptions to the "sub-par D-line" comment, Frank Warren, Jim Wilks, Wayne Martin, and Renaldo Turnbull were anything but mediocre, along with Dave Waymer, Gene Atkins, and perhaps Toi Cook. Bobby Hebert may have been a better QB if not for Carl Smith's completely flat offensive schemes. IIRC, Hebert told an interviewer when he was with Atlanta that his biggest beefs with Mora and Smith was they never allowed the offense to open up more, and on more then a few occasions he changed plays in the huddle because he knew that the call that came in was ineffective but they would never change it. Mora and Hebert, back in those days were never the best of friends, at best they acted congenial towards each other. But after Jim Finks played hardball with Hebert and lost in 1990, his trust in the Saints FO took a serious blow, and it never fully recovered for many years.

IMO, the biggest regret I have of the Haslett's era was that we now know what kind of team we so easily could have been, because we're seeing many of the same parts kicking *** right now, we were capable of doing that 6,7, 8 YEARS AGO, but the sad fact is that wasn't a Drew Brees riding the ship. If we had Brees back in the 2002, 2003, hell even the 2004 seasons we'd be the division champs, maybe gone to a SB or two. **** me Jake Delhomme is ancient history right now to most Saints fans right now. Why? Because #9 has given us all of what Brooks AND Delhomme were supposed to do and then some.

If you subtract Aaron Brooks for Drew Brees those 3 crucial seasons, we would have won more games, been a perennial playoff contender, and Deuce might have rushed for more yards. My God, he might still be the starting RB right now for the Saints.

It's a troubling thing to consider especially in light of what we could have done as opposed to having our seasons end in such disappointment.

That was money$$$. I had always heard a rumor that Carl Smith was blackmailing Jim Sr. and that was why Mora never parted ways with him. Run Run Pass punt. Repeat. That is Carl Smith. I can't believe Del Rio hired him as OC.

Others may disagree, but calling Wayne Martin "solid" is kind of criminal in my eyes. He was an absolute beast for many years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom