Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Should be the Choice Hands Down (1 Viewer)

I don't know. I think he is a reach at 10. Also, I don't see him contributing this year. He is not NFL ready, and is a project. While he has great potentilal, i think we need a no. 1 to contribute immediately this year...I know the board just loves this guy, but I think he is a year away from being an effective NFL player...

I like DRC because of how he moves on the field of play

If you watch DRC play on the field that kid translates all his forty time to the field folks!!! I only used his forty time to confirm what I have seen on the little bit of film that is available.

The kid has some serious talent guys. The kid has produced at a very high level in the conference in which he played in.

Just watch the interception he made in the senior bowl. He is in such total control the entire time, he looks like HE is the WR on the play instead of the poor guy he out jumps and totally robs of the football. While watching the film you have to remember that DRC looks like he is jogging while the WR is running so fast that he can't even control his own body!!! Natural athletes look graceful while playing full tilt.

I am basing my opinion on what I see when DRC on the field combined with his combine numbers.

Deion is just trying to get that boy more money....I PRAY TO GOD we dont take DRC because Deion said to do it......he will be getting drafted high for two reasons....his 40 time and the fact his cousin had 10 picks last year....it definetly wont be because of his production at the college level, were he did not dominate...dispite his dominating measurables.....

I would be disappointed if they did not go CB in the 1st round this year.

drc=vastly overrated. he didnt even dominate in divsion II football how is he going to be able to dominate nfl? just because he can run a straight line in shorts means that he can play football?

I believe DRC should be the choice. I think that if you look around the league that it is really hard to find guys that fit his athletic profile period. Asomugha from Oakland is very similar to DRC in terms of build, but Asomugha has more weight. DRC is vastly superior in athletic ability to Asomugha, and that is saying alot. Asomugha ran a 4.45 forty and DRC ran a 4.29 folks. This type of speed with a guy his size hasn't come out in the draft in over a decade folks!!!!!! I know because I have been watching the draft since I was 13 years old, and I am 30 yrs old now. We'd be lucky to even have a chance to select him at #10. His cousin Antonio Cromartie only ran in the 4.4 range as well. Terrence Newman and Marcus Trufant ran in the 4.4 range too... Only Dante' Hall from Oakland ran in the 4.35-4.38 range coming out.

Also everybody wants to say that the Giants won the Superbowl due to their DL, but they fail to give credit to the Giants drafting the cb Aaron Ross out of Texas last year in the first round. Ross helped round out their secondary. How do you think Brady wasn't able to continually check down the entire game. The Giants corners covered them short and long. The Saints were nearly dead last in pass coverage last year. No matter which way you slice it, that means you need better cornerbacks !!!!!

Finally, I am not enamored with his combine stats. I am looking at the fact that he allowed the lowest yards per catch in the nation the last 3 years as a cornerback in the nation per published reports. Also he allowed the lowest percentage of throws in his direction this year as well. Look it up if you don't believe me. Some say low quality competition, but the guy was superior based on his numbers. What else is can he do to display dominance? After intercepting 6 passes as a junior, he intercepted 2 as a senior and took both back for TD's. Does anyone think that that was a coincidence? Obviously teams threw the ball away from his area whether by design or whatever....I am very impressed with the way DRC moves under full control on the football field when a pass is thrown his way. The guy never looks to be stretching his athletic ability on the field because he is a natural athlete that transitions his 4.29 speed to the field. This guys athletic ability is so rare that nobody even realizes it on this board.

The guy looks an awful lot like a Deion Sanders. Oh...you don't agree with me??? Well you're gonna have to take that up with Deion himself.... In fact during the combine drills this year, Deion himself said on live television that DRC reminds him of himself as a young corner coming out of florida state. He said this more than twice too. Deion is a talker folks, but he has NEVER said that before about anyone. I am going with Deion on this guy. I think it's a pretty safe bet to side with a future NFL Hall of Fame Player such as Deion.

Finally, for everyone wanting an immediate contribution from a player then cornerback is one of the quickest positions to perform at in the NFL due to the fact that the position is mostly instinctual and reaction based on where the receiver is going. Don't believe me??? Well then you will have to take that up with a Hall of Famer named Deion too because I just repeated what he said the other day !!!!

I have said my peace
samdogg

:potd:

There is a HUGE misconception that he did not dominate. I am going to say it again for all of those listening.

These are the FACTS: He allowed the lowest % of completions for any Defensive back in the country!! He also allowed the lowest number of yards per completion for any defensive back in the country for the LAST THREE YEARS!!!! He has 6 picks his Junior year and 2 his Senior year and BOTH returned for highlight touchdowns.

Also add to that Defensive MVP at the Senior Bowl. He totally blanketed his competition at the Senior Bowl. He also showed dominant run support with some really nice hits. He rose to the challenge folks.

If that isn't dominance then nothing is....

I don't think a reply is even worthy to this...Do you realize that Deion Sanders is regarded as the BEST cover corner to EVER play the game of football????

The man is respected. The man is decorated. The man knows a heck of alot more about football than anyone on this message board or any message board period.

Hall of Fame Players are pretty special dude....wake up...

With all due respect to Darrell Green.... Deion said this on national television and he said it in a convincing fashion. He wasn't quoted in the paper. In fact, Deion was so enamoured with this kid that he took him and only him under his wing and spent time with him teaching him technique, etc....

Later,
Samdogg

Personally, I think there are much better options than DRC, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with him as our #10 pick.

That said, Ted Williams, the greatest hitter ever in baseball, was also regarded as one of the worst hitting coaches ever. The reason for this is that hitting came so easy to him naturally. He never really had to work at it. The greatest coaches rarely were the best players. The lesser players had to learn all the tricks and really focus on the fundamentals to be any good, so they tend to become the better coaches and pass along the information they learned.

The point in regards to Deion is that he was so good, it was easy for him. He probably isn't the best DB coach or evaluator of talent. I hope he is right, if we get DRC, but if we don't, I will be happy with a better pass rush or run defense just the same.

Well sam,

"Asomugha from Oakland is very similar to DRC in terms of build, but Asomugha has more weight. DRC is vastly superior in athletic ability to Asomugha, and that is saying alot."

A lot? Comparing a college kid to Asomugha, statistics be damned, is saying a bit too much.

In your last two paragraphs you use the word "Deion" seven times.

That would be the Deion that got run over by a QB when he had to actually make a tackle.

And: "The man is respected."

Not necessarily around here. Relax, we are not his biggest fans.

ddd

There is a HUGE misconception that he did not dominate. I am going to say it again for all of those listening.

These are the FACTS: He allowed the lowest % of completions for any Defensive back in the country!! He also allowed the lowest number of yards per completion for any defensive back in the country for the LAST THREE YEARS!!!! He has 6 picks his Junior year and 2 his Senior year and BOTH returned for highlight touchdowns.

link on the %?

antoine cason had more tackles, passes defensed interceptions and yards plus he played alot tougher competition.

listen gang...all I am saying is that DRC has a ton of upside...That's what NFL teams look for when they are drafting...

Most teams rely on their coaching enough to the point that they believe that with their coaching they can take a player to that next level provided they have the talent.

I really think DRC is a special talent... All of the information I have spouted can be referenced if you spend some time looking it up.

Everybody thinking that teams draft for immediate need are not looking at the situation for it most likely will always be. Rookies are rookies!!!

Most teams draft on potential and talent with hopes that the player picked will develop in year 1 through year 3 into a really good player.

For all the guys that want to bring up the Ted Williams, Michael Jordan, Darrell Green type situations....

I am focusing on the here and now... I am not talking about every great players short comings in the realm of player evaluation or coaching for heaven's sake....

I am talking about the Saints having a shot at true shutdown corner that can turn and burn with the best of ANY WR receiver in the league...In order to turn and burn with the short guys like Steve Smith to the Tall guys like TO or Moss you have to have a RARE blend of athletic ability. You basically have to run fast and have a larger type build. That is so hard to find at cornerback. You also have to be able to flip your hips really fast. Normally only short corners can do this effectively which is why the league is littered with 5'10" corners.

DRC has the quickness of a 5'10" guy with the height of 6'1.5" inches and consistent 4.29-4.33 speed!!!

Last edited:

Also add to that Defensive MVP at the Senior Bowl. He totally blanketed his competition at the Senior Bowl. He also showed dominant run support with some really nice hits. He rose to the challenge folks.

Sounded good until you said dominant run support that is a laugher!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom