Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (1 Viewer)

Saints fan in VA

Drinkn more daily
Reaction score
I searched the forum and did not see this posted, anyone else see this anyplace?

A LITTLE BIT OF A SHOCK READING THIS

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB, Tennessee State

War Room analysis

Stengths: Is an elite athlete, with the physical tools NFL coaches drool over. Is tall with long arms and natural strength. Shows the quickness, speed and fluid hips to turn and run with receivers downfield. At the Senior Bowl and Combine, showed quick footwork in backpedal, transitioning to close quickly on passes and using long arms to reach in front of receivers. Shows speed and playmaking ability as a punt returner.

Weaknesses: Is a better athlete than football player; did not play nearly as well in college as he did at the Senior Bowl. At Tennessee State, alowed inferior receivers to seperate and catch passes. In college, got upright in backpedal, hindering ability to transition. Lacks natural instincts, and often reacts late to receivers routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity; does not come up field quickly in run support, content to allow teammates to make tackles.

Bottom line: Rodgers-Cromartie is a premier athlete who improved his draft stock tremendously at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. In our experience, most players who knock people's socks off in the spring after failing to impress on film struggle to improve in the NFL. Rodgers-Cromartie must prove his stellar week in Mobile and the Combine isn't an aberration. He still looks and plays more like the track star he is also--he won the 60 meter dash at the 2007 Ohio Valley Conference indoor championship. Don't be surprised if an NFL team drafts Rodgers-Cromartie as high as Round 1; we don't recommend it, though, because he is a long way from being a polished NFL CORNERBACK. We wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers-Cromartie followed the path of Andre Woolfolk, a 2003 first-round pick who is already out of the league.

Overall grade: 6.8

NFL comparison: Fabian Washington, Raiders

Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie Measurables

Height: 6-1 3/8

Weight: 185

40-yard dash: 4.33

LINK Message Boards: SHOCKING REPORT ON DRC - CBSSports.com

I'm not shocked. This guy has bust written all over him. He could suprise and make fools of his doubters, heck, his cousin got drafted with NO offseason workouts rehabbing a broken ankle and LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DOING. I just don't see him being worth a Top 10pick. He looks like another super athletic CB that has great combine #s, but is not much of a football player. I'd consider him in the 2nd, but #10 is a retard-reach. Has any player from Tennessee State EVER been drafted in the 1st round yet? There are too many question marks. I may be wrong, but I'd target Dorsey/Ellis/Rivers in the 1st, then look at the 2nd tier of CBs in the 2nd. Stud players like Jerod Mayo, Tracy Porter, Trevor Laws, and maybe even Aqib Talib will be hovering around the beginning of the 2nd....Not many of these Top 10 CBs work out to be worth it.

Heres the weakness section of a scouting report on McKelvin:

Weaknesses:
Relatively marginal instincts and anticipation...He doesn't have a lot of experience bumping at the line...Could do a better job in zone coverage...Too aggressive and plays a little out of control at times...Did not always play against elite competition.

Heres Mike Jenkins:

Weaknesses:
Is not great in run support...Not overly instinctive...Pretty inconsistent...Has some character questions...Footwork and technique are shaky...Lacks superb ball skills and awareness...Toughness may be an issue...Might be a bit of a CB / S 'tweener.

Heres Aqib Talib:

Weaknesses:
Will take too many risks...Does not play as fast as he times and lacks a burst...Is not real physical...Just average in run support...Struggles to recover...Inconsistent and is not very disciplined..Has too much confidence in his abilities...Footwork and technique need refining..Gets beat more often than he should...Has off-the-field / character issues that need to be investigated and evaluated...A high bust factor?

Heres Antoine Cason:

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed and lacks a burst...Will have to get stronger...Is not overly physical...Struggles to recover when beat...Hips are not very fluid...Has trouble taking on / shedding blockers...Probably won't be an ideal fit for everyone.

Whats the point? All these scouting reports make players seem like allpros in the strengths part and busts in the weaknesses part. In other words, this is pretty meaningless. We'll probably take McKelvin if we go CB though.

Oh look, Keith Rivers:

Weaknesses:
Could stand to add some weight...Needs to get stronger..More of a finesse player and is not overly physical...Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

Guess he'll be a bust?

BTW, do we even know who wrote this scouting report?

If Ellis or Dorsey don't fall, I would take my chances on the "bust" DRC or McKelvin.

You also have to realize, DRC got some special coaching from Mr. Deon Sanders around the time of the Senior Bowl / Combine. Perhaps just a little bit of good coaching changed his game. I honestly don't know, but was Colston a stud in college or just someone with immense talent but not as well coached?

Sometimes coaching / technique is what really matters if you already have the talent.

You also have to realize, DRC got some special coaching from Mr. Deon Sanders around the time of the Senior Bowl / Combine. Perhaps just a little bit of good coaching changed his game. I honestly don't know, but was Colston a stud in college or just someone with immense talent but not as well coached?

Sometimes coaching / technique is what really matters if you already have the talent.

I give this a FIVE STAR!!!

Wyzdom360

I'll bet you 10-1 that's Sporting News. I recognize their format. Sporting News is the laughing stock of NFL Draft coverage.

if you judge players on what others write, i hope and pray you are never a Saints Scout!!!

NFL.com has a a better and more in dept Analysis of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, They Compare him to Terence Newman but faster

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306

I would suggest that if anybody wants to read scouting reports, go to nfl.com. They use the scouting reports from nfldraftscout.com, which seems to be the most respected of all the draft sites, there is a premium fee for some of the content. I don't know their history or who is making that site, but being endorsed by the nfl is pretty impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom