Don’t Look Up (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Edit: just to be clear, this is a new movie on Netflix starring Leonardo DiCaprio about a doomsday comet headed towards Earth.

Didn’t see a thread on this yet.

I went into it with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.

It’s a commentary on our modern society. I’ve seen it described as an accurate depiction of our society, but I don’t think it’s that. It’s definitely an absurd parody but there are many elements of truth.

The attention on social media and pop culture personalities even in the most dire of circumstances, societal division, the distrust of government, the way governments make decisions and the role corporations play in controlling those decisions and the masses.

There were many places it went a little too far into the absurd for my taste but overall I liked the message and the balance of criticism across the spectrum (some would definitely disagree here I think).

The ending was hilarious and really made the movie for me. Be sure you watch all the way past the end credits.

What did you think?

Last edited:
Jonah Hill was great lolol

so many cameos. I thought it was pretty funny.

I loved this movie. It was absolutely spot-on in it’s social commentary….

I liked it - but I thought it was very satirical, even slap-stick at times. And the cast was just great.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that kind of humor and I liked the movie. But I didn't think it was this profound take on the ills of our current society. Yes, it definitely was an apt fictionalization of them, but some are acting like it's this great art and I see it more like National Lampoon.

I really liked that they let the comet destroy Earth. Often movies this like are afraid to take it over the goal-line, I suppose to not be morbid or whatever. But here, it necessary to demonstrate there can be actual consequences to our idiocy.

Oddly enough, I read that it was written BEFORE the pandemic. I'm going to assume that they made some changes to more fit with some of the issues with that.

I liked it - but I thought it was very satirical, even slap-stick at times. And the cast was just great.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that kind of humor and I liked the movie. But I didn't think it was this profound take on the ills of our current society. Yes, it definitely was an apt fictionalization of them, but some are acting like it's this great art and I see it more like National Lampoon.

I really liked that they let the comet destroy Earth. Often movies this like are afraid to take it over the goal-line, I suppose to not be morbid or whatever. But here, it necessary to demonstrate there can be actual consequences to our idiocy.
About the spoiler, yes, that definitely made the movie. I was hoping for that the whole time and the way they depicted it was very satisfying.

And what happened after that with Streep and the brontaroc, that may have been the best part of the movie

I thought it was fantastic. I wasn't expecting the humor and it kept getting better as the movie went on.

Low hanging fruit? Perhaps but it's still fun to smash that low hanging fruit. I really liked the part when the person sitting next to me was one of the people it made fun of but he was unable to capture it and just thought they were idiots.

More or less slapstick than Idiocracy? Because as absurd as it is, I think Idiocracy captures some of our present and likely predicts our future.

More or less slapstick than Idiocracy? Because as absurd as it is, I think Idiocracy captures some of our present and likely predicts our future.

Similar in vein for sure. Although I think Idiocracy is noteworthy for its prescience. It's far less absurd now than it was then. Whereas Don't Look Up depicts what is already happening.

My favorite doomsday comet movie is Night of the Comet. Robert Beltran hasn't completely aged well, though. (sorry to Captain Chakotay fans)

I will ha e to check it out. There was another movie a few years ago seeking a friend for the end of the world and the asteroid crashes into earth. It was great. I spent the entire movie thinking something would happen to save everyone.

I haven't yet watched Idiocracy because I fear it will portray a society even dumber than I think, and that's a very low bar indeed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom