Opinion Don’t move to NOLA (…a visitor explains) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Please don’t simply view the title, then neg-rep the thread.

If you take the time (27 mins), she goes through a lot of things… much of which is true! 😳

I’m wondering: What can be done to improve things… or, would that be an exercise in futility?

I, like many NOLA natives, love the city, and we’re heartbroken to see it in its present state (that didn’t happen overnight)! Something’s gotta change!

You wanna recap?
I’m not watching a 27 minute video
She visited NOLA a few years before, and that gave her “rose colored glasses.” She then decided to move to NOLA, and got a rude awakening:

* Real estate agents showed her three dirty houses before they got to one that was decent

* Entergy and S&WB rip off customers

* Her car was stolen shortly after arriving; NOPD took over 4 hrs to respond, and they didn’t help. She said that some pages on social media were more helpful in helping her recover her vehicle

* Mayor Cantrell had too much drama going on in her personal life, and it was preventing her from being a good leader.

* Crime is rampant

* Food prices thru the roof. She was NOT impressed with Rouse’s Market; said a bag of grapes 🍇 cost $18.00

She went into more stuff, but there was very little I could refute or argue with.

Peace, out. 😎

She’s definitely correct on the utility companies
Cantrell’s ineptitude has little to do with the social drama - in fact I get the impression that the social drama is used to distract from real issues

The crime is something all cities had dealt with since covid but NO , like the rest, have had big drops in crime (crime peaked about a year ago and is now as low as it’s been in years)

Property is definitely an issue - a mix of crazy insurance rates, runaway Airbnbs, and investment firms gobbling up property all over the country (happens in other countries too - UK/London going through this big time)

Trader Joe’s, Aldi, Whole Foods and most Winn Dixies are MUCH better options than Rouses
Rouses sucks

That said, she and everyone else can stay away until rents come down

While i for sure agree that NOLA has major issues , i think the idea that someone visits a ‘destination city’ as a tourist , sees it thru the proverbial rose colored glasses and then reality sets in when they move there- that’s not unique to NOLA, and goes on in many of those types of US cities, and probably abroad as well, id imagine… So what im saying (without watching 27 min) is that that video could probably have been done about many places.. im not excusing NOLA, mind you…. All that said, and ive said it before- the key to enjoying NOLA is to think of it not as a poorly-run American city, but to think of it as a fairly well-run Caribbean or 3rd world city .. then it all makes so much more sense .

Crazy to think that New Orleans may had been at it’s best is when simultaneously being known as the murder capitol. You had Master P and the Hot Boys on national tv always repping the 504.

Leadership is real. That’s at the hand of the voters though. Too many people in No vote on who they know. I actually had a family member from the area ask me who they should vote for. I’m not a political savant so i was perplexed why they asked me.

New Orleans has been in the same name as corruption since the 80’s at least. With social media platforms it is just getting more exposure.Nepotism has always been a problem and it is now being exposed.

The downfall of NOLA started with Landrieu, the Morial's and Bartholmey, followed by multiple corrupt regimes, getting their "Piece of the PIE"!
Just like Our current National Government, everyone wants that Piece Of Pie!

The downfall of NOLA started with Landrieu, the Morial's and Bartholmey, followed by multiple corrupt regimes, getting their "Piece of the PIE"!
Just like Our current National Government, everyone wants that Piece Of Pie!
I see you’re not a student of history

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom