Don’t sleep on the Saints (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Saints had a deep Super Bowl contending roster. These are the main players that was let go: Cook, J.Jenkins, Rankins, M. Brown, Anzalone, E. Sanders, K.Alexander, Hendrickson.
2 Offensive players and 5 defensive players.

Look at some players we gain: Kpassagnon, Payton Turner , Werner, Paulson Adebo, Kawaan Baker(4.4 speed) , Jalen McCleskey (4.2/4.3 speed)

4 defensive players and 2 Offensive weapons. They still need help/depth at CB position and I believe they will get another player. Saints front DL should top in the league. Control that front line, you control the game.

Saints318

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
In a 17 game season with 7 out of 16 NFC teams making the playoffs, Sean Payton's floor is 8 wins and that should be enough to take the last wildcard.

We went 5-0 with Teddy and 3-1 with Taysom. Jameis and Taysom and the rest of this team shouldn't be any worse than they were then.

Lattimore's possible suspension and what we do at CB is crucial.

If we get fans back in the Superdome that's a huge home field advantage that could push this team further.

SonOfNOLA

Superstar X-Factor
Reaction score
Might be a struggle to go 9-8, much less make the playoffs.

Defense will be back to being middle of the pack most likely. Offensive production scoring 30 points with Drew is probably not likely either. I can see us giving up 24 ppg and scoring right about 25. So that's a middle of the road team.

All depends on the Winston/Payton duo and it working out.
Most of starters on defense still remain. Only losses were Hendrickson and J. Jenkins and they were replaced with equal talent in the draft. So we shouldn’t take a step back on defense unless Lattimore is suspended for more than a couple games

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
11-6. 2nd in division. Beat Tampa in Tampa in the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl.

MisplacedSaint

SaintsFan For Life
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that we had 3 rookies last year (Ruiz, Baun and Trautman) that had a COVID reduced off season to prepare for their rookie seasons. With a full season of play and off season under their belts I expect them to be much more productive and contributing to the team.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Playing a 1st place schedule... in the same division as the current SB champs (who return every starter), losing the unquestioned leader of the team for the last 2 decades (and a 1st ballot HoFer), lost last season’s team sack leader, lost the clear-cut #2 starting CB...
Yep. At the very least our depth is shattered. Which will matter just as it always does.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that we had 3 rookies last year (Ruiz, Baun and Trautman) that had a COVID reduced off season to prepare for their rookie seasons. With a full season of play and off season under their belts I expect them to be much more productive and contributing to the team.
Agreed.

platinumvinnyv

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Playing a 1st place schedule... in the same division as the current SB champs (who return every starter), losing the unquestioned leader of the team for the last 2 decades (and a 1st ballot HoFer), lost last season’s team sack leader, lost the clear-cut #2 starting CB...

aye, I'm usually optimistic but unless something crazy happens i have to agree with your points will be a long season

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see us going 9-8.

My concern is not quarterback. We did not lose the 2011 or even 2017 Drew Brees, but the 2020 Drew Brees.

My concern is defense and our free-agency losses. We have little depth at cornerback, defensive tackle and linebacker. A Lattimore suspension for several games would truly hurt.

In short, free-agency losses and a draft that is unlikely to make a major contribution in 2021. We are retooling. With the compensatory picks we will have next year and our full allotment of draft picks, I am optimistic about our future, even with some questions at quarterback.

But the challenge in 2021 will be staying competitive. We will be taking at least one step back.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
No clue what we're going to look like this year. I probably lean towards not very good. We definitely played different when hendrickson wasn't on the field. Our front gets very little to no pressure without him. Davenport hasn't been what we hoped he would be and I'm not putting a ton of faith in us having a rookie come in and fill trey's shoes. Same goes to the secondary. We will miss jenkins and we will for sure miss Kwon. He made an immediate impact when he came in. Offense can go several different directions but I think we'll be able to score points....just not sure we'll be able to outscore our opponents because our D is gonna give up points. We go back to not having faith in Dennis Allen this season.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I see us going 9-8.

My concern is not quarterback. We did not lose the 2011 or even 2017 Drew Brees, but the 2020 Drew Brees.

My concern is defense and our free-agency losses. We have little depth at cornerback, defensive tackle and linebacker. A Lattimore suspension for several games would truly hurt.

In short, free-agency losses and a draft that is unlikely to make a major contribution in 2021. We are retooling. With the compensatory picks we will have next year and our full allotment of draft picks, I am optimistic about our future, even with some questions at quarterback.

But the challenge in 2021 will be staying competitive. We will be taking at least one step back.
Agreed. Hopefully we draft well with our higher pick, and hopefully a stud QB is available when we pick.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I see us going 9-8.

I get what you are saying here and agree with some of it....but....I think folks are going to be surprised how good our offensive line is (if we are healthy), we have young players there (McCoy and Ruiz) who are going to get better, I'm excited to see Ruiz at his natural position (C). I also think we need to lean on the running game like we did during last year's winning streak.

I fully agree with the QB situation, I'm thinking that won't be the biggest issue. For our D to be as good as last year, we are going to have to be completely healthy with 3 rookies ready to make contributions, that is asking a lot....we will see...

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Once the schedule is published, I will have a clearer projection of how the Saints 2021 season will play out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread