Don’t sleep on the Saints (1 Viewer)

We've won the division 4 years straight.
The last two seasons we've strung together win streaks with 3rd stringers and backup QB's.

Now we did lose a ton of depth this offseason, but we've also filled a lot of those holes too.

The Secondary will be the key to everything as it typically is. If it's a mess, we won't win very many games. If it's strong and we are in sync early, we will win a lot of games this season.

This is a winning organization now. The culture has changed and we are no longer the Aints. Many of my friends/family still have a hard time getting themselves out of the loser mindset and still panic at every little thing. I trust Payton and Loomis 100% and believe we will once again be a playoff team.

This is a winning organization now. The culture has changed and we are no longer the Aints. Many of my friends/family still have a hard time getting themselves out of the loser mindset and still panic at every little thing. I trust Payton and Loomis 100% and believe we will once again be a playoff team.

Totally agree with this. But I would add Ireland to the trust list. I think this roster is a lot stronger than most think (just not as deep with vets). To me there are a few key areas that will determine how far this team goes:

1) Shifting and development of Ruiz at C and McCoy at G
2) Contributions from the rooks on D (particularly the top 3 picks), if they can make an impact
3) Calloway's development and WR health
4) Replacing Malcolm Brown (hopefully Tuttle and Roach will continue to improve)....

I'm leaving out the obvious QB play as we are not sure who the starter is going to be....

In my mind the Saints have taken many steps backward and few forward. We let good players go b/c of the cap situation. The "genius" of Mickey Loomis has resulted in huge amounts of dead money for the Saints, and the inability to pay for top talent.

I thought we went 8-1 the last two seasons without Brees?
Hendrickson's 13 sacks are overblown.
Rankins was not healthy while playing
I'll give you Brown being a big loss, but I think we have enough depth to handle that loss
The secondary has taken the biggest hit, IMO. We shall see
Wr's need one more target.

I like how you say that Hendrickson's sack numbers are overblown...while at the same time overlooking the context of the 8 wins without Brees.

I like how you say that Hendrickson's sack numbers are overblown...while at the same time overlooking the context of the 8 wins without Brees.
What I mean by "overblown" is, many of his sacks were just being at the right place at the right time. Not so much pressure, or beating his man straight off the line and sacking the QB. Just my opinion of course.

It'll be a really good draft if 2 to 3 of those guys pan out. That's what history teaches us. For this season, I'd put the incoming class's ability to produce like the guys we lost somewhere very close to 0%.
I can see Turner not having the numbers in his first year, just like Cam didn’t, and then balling out his second year and there after, just like Cam. How will he help us win in 2021..? I think we see a bit of Cam inside (with DT beaing depleted) and Davenport and Turner pushing the tackled into the QB's face

I also think Adebo will do well and earn the CB2 spot. Had he played this year and continued to improve, he easily could’ve put himself in the conversation of being a 1st rounder this year. Every year there is a mid round CB rookie who surprises the league and plays well. Hopefully he's a Saint this year,

Of the first 3 picks, I see Werner as being the one who doesn’t produce as much as the others in his first few seasons mainly bc he doesn’t have the speed needed for being a top flight LB. We also have Baun going into his 2nd year, and hopefully he's taken some leaps after having a full year and offseason.

I said hopefully a lot, but we had a huge impact from the 2017 draft class which not many people saw coming. Could it happen again? Maybe. If Jameis can just manage the game, Kamara and Murray can pound it, and the rookies and 2nd year defenders play decently then I think we have a shot at the playoffs.

Last edited:
We’ll be ok but we need to add a Guard , WR and NT . Resign Alexander and I’ll feel much safer

I can see Turner not having the numbers in his first year, just like Cam didn’t, and then balling out his second year and there after, just like Cam.

I also think Adebo will do earn the CB2 spot. Had he played this year and continued to improve, he easily could’ve put himself in the conversation of being a 1st rounder.

Of the first 3 picks, I see Werner as being the one who doesn’t produce as much as the others in his first few seasons mainly bc he doesn’t have the speed needed for being a top flight LB.
Werner is really the guy that needs to show out right away. LBs can improve year to year, but typically you have a pretty good idea of what you have from the very beginning. I'm with you on Turner and Adebo. I'm hoping that Turner plays the run well and knows the playbook, and then progress as time goes on. I could easily see a sub-5 sack season from Turner. That's ok. Cam had one sack his rookie season. Another guy that I think Turner compares to pretty well is Chris Doleman...he didn't do anything is first season. Adebo has been away from football for over a year. There's no way that I'd expect him to come in and be a huge contributor from the beginning.

In my mind the Saints have taken many steps backward and few forward. We let good players go b/c of the cap situation. The "genius" of Mickey Loomis has resulted in huge amounts of dead money for the Saints, and the inability to pay for top talent.

You dont think they had a plan for this roster and dont spend their offseason projecting the vitality of the roster and who's contracting is coming up and who's contracting will not be renewed, who to franchise tag and who to sign to extensions, to you they're just winging it huh...

Loomis figures out how to pay for what the de facto personnel GM asks for.

The DT situation is the biggest remaining “hole” on the roster IMO. I like Shy Tuttle and I think he’s a old young player, but I don’t feel comfortable with him as the primary starting DT alongside Onyemata. Even if Tuttle blossoms and emerges, depth is still a big issue. There are some names vets available that I certainly think would help, but the Saints need $$. At least 1 DT needs to be added, maybe 2 (the Saints lost 2 this offseason and both were key players in the rotation).

I realize that the LB and CB spots don’t exactly inspire a ton of confidence either, but they are better... Demario Davis is a stud, and between Werner, Baun, and Hansen, the Saints should be OK. Plus, Kwon might/could return.
If Lattimore isn’t suspended or in jail, the #1 CB is set. P-Rob and Adebo could at least prove serviceable/competent at #2 CB, and Adebo has great upside and could surprise. A vet could/should also be added be here, but it’s not as pressing as DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom