Don Banks' First Mock (1 Viewer)

IMO the "reach" term is a bit over used. Lets say that a team is targeting player X who is in their top 15 on their board. If they are picking at around 10-12 and no one wants to trade up is it a reach? IMO if you can not trade down than you take the player you have targeted because in most circumstances they will not be there when you pick again.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: most fans dont understand that part. its a difference in reaching for a player thats a top 15 prospect at the ten spot. then say reaching for a top 15 prospect at the 6th spot. and this team has made small school "reach picks" every draft. ie usuma young, jarhi evans, roman harper, andy alleman and zach strief. none of those guys were even close to being the bpa, and would have probably been around in later rounds. the staff took the guys that they wanted when it was their time top pick, and most of them have worked out just fine if not great. ik most of these guys were late round picks but harper was a high second round guy and guys rated much higer than him were still on the board when we took him.

That's still considered a reach. Under those terms that you described above, I think that would be acceptable, but only if they had him rated within a few spots of where they were picking. If they have the guy rated 20th and they're picking 10th, trade back.

I agree and disagree. My point was it is the term "reach" a bit over used. If there is not anyone willing to trade back and the guy you are targeting is within a few slots on your draft board, I am not sure what choice you have.

I mean if you are picking 10 and the number 12 guy on your board is your target player is it a "reach" to select him? IMO you have to look at the guys in the draft in groups of 5 or so because 1) you may not need a player at the position, but hey a guy in a high group may have fallen 2) Sometimes guys grade out the same at different positions.

If the Saints have Talib in their top 15 and no one is willing to trade up to that spot I would not look at the selection as a reach IF that is the player the Saints are targeting.

I agree that the term reach is over used, but also you hear everyone talking about trading down. I think many people think we can just automatically trade down if the perfect player isn't there. You have to have another team that wants to pay the price and trade up. Teams don't trade up as often or easily as some here think especially in the top 10 picks of the draft.

Some have him as the 5th rated CB in this draft, some have him higher. Personally, I think hes a reach at 10.

Cornerbacks are apparently really tough to grade and come down to perosnal taste of the team.

If you recall last years draft, Leon Hall was #1 on most boards and the Arkansas kid was number 2, then Darrelle Revis went back and forth being the #2 or #3 CB on most people lists. Anyway, Revis is the first one selected, then Hall, then Aaron Ross went ahead of Chris Houston who was drafted in the 2nd round!

IMHO, Talib is the best CB prospect in this draft... and I thought the same even before Malcolm Jenkins said he was staying in school. I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him... although, I'd rather a LB or DT at #10 (Rivers, Ellis, or Conner... not Ballmer)

I'd rather a LB or DT also, I dont know why we start the offseason wishing for that but then quickly start leaning towards CB and....WR? we havent addressed the LB spot for YEARS, to me everybody on this board should want Rivers....but our pass defense was bad, so i cant hate on us picking a Corner, but one pick doesnt make the draft a CB, LB and DT will be chosen by the Saints come April.......why doesnt anyone want Ballmer? I mean if he is impressing the Scouts and Coaches enough to warrant the selection who can you hate on it? because you havent heard of him until now?

I'd rather a LB or DT also, I dont know why we start the offseason wishing for that but then quickly start leaning towards CB and....WR? we havent addressed the LB spot for YEARS, to me everybody on this board should want Rivers....but our pass defense was bad, so i cant hate on us picking a Corner, but one pick doesnt make the draft a CB, LB and DT will be chosen by the Saints come April.......why doesnt anyone want Ballmer? I mean if he is impressing the Scouts and Coaches enough to warrant the selection who can you hate on it? because you havent heard of him until now?

I think the big reason is because he was mentioned as Jonathan Sullivan-like by a recent mock draft. He's been known to take plays off, and not necessarily play up to his talent.

Anyone else a little worried that it looks like the Falcons might have a clear and easy shot at drafting McFadden?

I know I don't want to have to see that SOB twice a season.

Rookie runningbacks don't scare me a bit.Take our own Reggie Bush for instance,what is his longest run in the two years he has played?...........twenty two twenty three yards?

I would take this Talib at # 10 or if we could move back a couple of places.Why as fans do we care what there value is.WE just need a couple of solid players on Defense.It doesn't matter to me if we reach for them of not.At this point I would trade quite a few starters on both sides of the ball for a guy like Cromartie and I don't think he was in the top ten.

Rookie runningbacks don't scare me a bit.Take our own Reggie Bush for instance,what is his longest run in the two years he has played?...........twenty two twenty three yards?
Adrian Peterson scares me, and McFadden is pretty darn good, as most SEC fans can attest to.

The only thing that these Mock Drafts are telling me is that the 10th position is about where the talent drops off from the elite group. Everybody they are talking about as Saint potential picks are considered to be a reach with widely varying opinions. I've seen all of these guys mocked from 8th to late 1st round to non first round (Balmer, Rivers, Talib, Phillips).

In Talib's case a lot will depend on the combine. He runs a fast combine he will become the definitive Top 10 pick because of his agressive style of play. If he runs a slow one then he may slip to a late first, or early second rounder. On a side note I would not mind Chevis Jackson in the 2nd, looking at his play at LSU and these Senior Bowl practices he looks like he can keep up with anybody and is one of the more instantly NFL ready corners.

Did anyone notice Ellis being listed at 257lbs? I don't know if that's a misprints cause everything else i've seen has him around 289lbs or so. Did he lose a leg in practice or something. If he is that light at DT he will not be drafted in the first round.

Dude, if Ellis did lose a leg, he could slip into the late 1st round and we could trade down and get him. :)

Did anyone notice Ellis being listed at 257lbs? I don't know if that's a misprints cause everything else i've seen has him around 289lbs or so. Did he lose a leg in practice or something. If he is that light at DT he will not be drafted in the first round.

no way he is 289...I could see 291, but 289? Come on

Anyone else a little worried that it looks like the Falcons might have a clear and easy shot at drafting McFadden?

That is the biggest thing i'm worried about going into this draft

.....why doesnt anyone want Ballmer? I mean if he is impressing the Scouts and Coaches enough to warrant the selection who can you hate on it? because you havent heard of him until now?

Ballmer's physical attributes are unquestionable. The thing that I really don't like about him is the fact that he has played far below his talent level up until late in his Senior season... then all of the sudden he turns it on and starts shooting up draft boards. He seems like the classic type guy to get drafted high because of workouts, and then gets paid and gets lazy again.

I'm really not too worried about that. I really don't think McFadden is going to be a stud in the NFL. Just my own feeling... I think he'll be good, but not great. IMHO, Jonathon Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, and Felix Jones will all be better NFL RBs than Run DMC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom