Don Banks' mock (Feb 27) (1 Viewer)

I was a little dismayed when I saw Jordan posting such great numbers at the combine, because I figured it meant he wouldn't be around at 15. With all the great OL and DL prospects, it means that between Jordan, Mingo, and Jones at least 1 of them will be there, and I could rock with any of those 3.

That's one mock draft I won't mock :hihi:

Here's to hoping they don't trade back into the first round for Eddie Lacy or Manti "Fail Under Pressure" Te'o

Jarvis Jones:

2011:

TKL 70
TFL 19.5
Sack 13.5
INT 0

2012:

TKL 85
TFL 24.5
Sack 14.5
INT 1

Mingo:

2011:

TKL 46
TFL 15.0
Sack 7.5
INT 0

2012:

TKL 38
TFL 8.5
Sack 4.5
INT 0

Edge: All categories goes to JJ

idk guys.... last couple times we've picked UGA Def players in the 1st they've been AWFUL!!!!!!! what makes this guy any different? Cie Grant lit it up in college to can anyone guess what he did in the NFL????

Be careful what you wish for............ :idunno:

Guard from Alabama. Many say he's the best overall player in this draft.
No guard in the history of the NFL is worth a top 20 pick. If he's that highly rated then this is the worst draft class ever.

No guard in the history of the NFL is worth a top 20 pick. If he's that highly rated then this is the worst draft class ever.

Even though saints drafted nicks later, he was worth a top 20 pick.

Where would Jones be best suited? Weak side is Galette and thats the 1st place I would be thinking, the other option would be strongside, but if he is elite as a weakside backer I'm not sure.

He could probably project to either. If I remember he played SAM or SOLB at Georgia, but he might be able to project to WOLB/JACK as well.

Depends on the offense.

We've clearly shown a higher value for offensive guards than tackles. To us no tackle is worth as much as a guard, which we're likely to demonstrate when we let our 3rd starting offensive tackle walk this offseason.

Given the draft pick salary control, it's even less of an issue nowdays to take someone like a safety, guard, etc early.

I mean cam Jordan wasnt supposed to get out of the top 15 and we took him at 24, So anything can happen when you're talkin bout the draft

Jones could be our Rickey Jackson version 2. He has the instincts and athleticism to play strongside with pass rushing skills to keep teams honest and have to worry about a rush from either OLB. Add to the fact that he can play rush OLB as a backup to Wilson, and Jones should be on top of the Saints board.

Again, no matter which OLB we take at 15, I feel we will go into FA and find a 2 down SOLB who knows how to play the position. Im just not sure what that #15 OLB will do there, but Im not sure what Tez will do there either. Bringing in that vet gives insurance and depth at that spot. So sign a Victor Butler, who played behind Anthony Spencer at SOLB under RR in Dallas. He knows Ryans system and is only 25. He's a RFA, but Dallas will be tryin to keep Spencer, who's an UFA.

So the starting LBs will be: that FA, C Lo, Hawthorne, Junior. What about Tez? He will start out as the backup....at every LB spot! Wilson played inside at LB in college, played SAM as a rook with the Saints, and last year played RDE as a passrusher. Jack of all, but it'll be up to Tez and RR to find the best fit for him.

I called that starting 4 the Thunder Package.

On passing plays, if Vilma stays, he comes in at SILB to run the pass D. Otherwise, Butler will move inside to call the D. Junior is versatile and can rush from either side. He goes to the strong side. Now enter that #15 pick, like a Jarvis Jones, on the weak side. Tez gets the call at the other ILB spot. He will be repsonsible for picking up a back, playing the 'spy' role on the QB, or blitzing from the inside position. With his straight line speed, all he has to do is get his timing down, and this is where he could be most dangerous.

Junior, Vilma/Butler, Tez, JJ

Lightning Package.

I say all this because with a new DC and transition to the 3-4, it may take Rob Ryan...and his LBs....some time to settle in. So why not start out by using some packages, putting players in position to do do what they do BEST, and in time, once they all become familiar with the scheme, RR can mix, match and move em around.

The ULTIMATE GOAL: To field the BEST 4 LBs, "each particularly good in one area, that it makes the other guys better, because they are complete as a UNIT" ....... Play the run, the pass, blitz, MAKE BIG PLAYS!

I dont know much about RR and his 3-4. But I DO know a lil about 3-4 LBs, and I'll be damned if I dont know about 4 LBs who wrote the book on how to play it!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom