Don't ask. Don't tell.... (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Can goto hell...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/military_board_recommends_disc.html

Syracuse, NY -- Lt. Dan Choi vowed Tuesday evening to fight to stay in the military after an Army board in Syracuse recommended he be the first person discharged from the New York National Guard for violating the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
A four-officer panel meeting at Hancock Air Base notified Choi at about 5 p.m. that it would recommend he be discharged because he has publicly said he is gay.
The recommendation now goes to Lt. Gen. Thomas Miller of the First Army Division, and Gen. Craig McKinley, the chief of the National Guard Bureau, who will make the final decision.
"Today was a setback for me," Choi said at a 6:10 p.m. news conference. "I got in trouble for saying three words. 'I am gay.'"

I really don't understand why somebody cannot be openly gay and serve in the military.

Do men and women sleep in the same housing in the armed forces? If they don't then maybe thats why they don't allow openly gay people in. Would they be allowed to sleep next to the same sex they are attracted to?

A lot of times you have open bay showers also. Like in bootcamp and training commands.

I always preferred the term: Don't tell, don't ask. More memorable to me.

As you can tell by my extremely dry sense of humor that I could care less to someone's sexual preference.

[mod edit :nono:]

have u served in the military?

no? then leave it be.

In the military commiting sodomy is a crime. If you are a homosexual, sodomy is assumed; therefore if you announce your gayness you are practically admitting to a crime. Also, not allowing homosexuals keeps the HIV/AIDS medical stats down. Many countries do not allow HIV infected persons to cross into thier borders/airspace.

This is my well thought out explaination. :idunno:

Lt Col Baghead reporting in -- Don't ask, don't tell is a morally bankrupt policy.

We tell servicepeople that they can "be" gay, but not "say' they are gay. They are never asked (don't ask) and they aren't compelled to tell (don't tell) -- so it never comes up -- BUT, if they ever admit they are gay, we discharge them.

Unfortunately for Lt Choi, he is going to be put out -- no question about it, because it's the rules and the Army will almost always follow the rules because it's the easy fallback plan.

"Don't Ask" was typical politcal policy -- meant to make everyone a little happy.

We are doing gay people a disservice by leading them to believe that the Armed Forces are "gay-okay" which they are not.

The policy should either be one way or the other -- we either ask people up front and deny entry if they answer that they are gay (like we used to) -- or we never ask, and it never comes up and sexuality is never a part of your service -- even if you say you are gay, it wouldn't matter.

I served in the military, retiring from the Navy after 21 years service.

When I first joined, and throughout my career, I was opposed to gays in the military. I felt they would be distracting to other non-gay personnel, could be a determent to themselves, would be unable to serve effectively.

However, as I got older, I have come to realize that my concerns were probably misplaced. Flaming gay people would probably not consider the military, but the majority of gays are otherwise normal people trying to earn a living and serve their country. They do not "make passes" at others, do not flaunt their gayness, and for the most part are productive citizens.

We have come to find retired gay personnel who have served honorably and without incident. I see no reason why we should pay thousands to train personnel only to discharge them because they are gay. If there is no incident involving them, let them serve their country and earn their living. I would think that females on ships and in combat situations would be more distracting to their male counterparts (and therefore more dangerous) than gay personnel could ever be.

I doubt that gay personnel ogle others in showers and lust in their hearts in open barrack situations. Any attempt to unsuccessfully approach a straight could result in an unwanted confrontation. Most just want to do their jobs and live their lives peacefully.

Of course, openly flaunting their sexual preference is another matter. Keep it in the bedroom where it belongs.

I served in the military, retiring from the Navy after 21 years service.

When I first joined, and throughout my career, I was opposed to gays in the military. I felt they would be distracting to other non-gay personnel, could be a determent to themselves, would be unable to serve effectively.

However, as I got older, I have come to realize that my concerns were probably misplaced. Flaming gay people would probably not consider the military, but the majority of gays are otherwise normal people trying to earn a living and serve their country. They do not "make passes" at others, do not flaunt their gayness, and for the most part are productive citizens.

We have come to find retired gay personnel who have served honorably and without incident. I see no reason why we should pay thousands to train personnel only to discharge them because they are gay. If there is no incident involving them, let them serve their country and earn their living. I would think that females on ships and in combat situations would be more distracting to their male counterparts (and therefore more dangerous) than gay personnel could ever be.

I doubt that gay personnel ogle others in showers and lust in their hearts in open barrack situations. Any attempt to unsuccessfully approach a straight could result in an unwanted confrontation. Most just want to do their jobs and live their lives peacefully.

Of course, openly flaunting their sexual preference is another matter. Keep it in the bedroom where it belongs.
:plus-un2:

Lets say you're sitting in a foxhole, trying to defend your country. The only other guy in the foxhole with you is McLuvsmen. You're thinking about freedom and he's thinking about how cute your tuckus looks.

Now, if he tells you he's gay, you're going to be worried about covering rear entry and not protecting Uncle Sam. Don't ask don't tell prevents you from having to deal with that ickyness, and hopefully after not being asked and not being able to tell McLuvsmen can become McNotgay.

See, it makes perfect sense.

Lets say you're sitting in a foxhole, trying to defend your country. The only other guy in the foxhole with you is McLuvsmen. You're thinking about freedom and he's thinking about how cute your tuckus looks.

Now, if he tells you he's gay, you're going to be worried about covering rear entry and not protecting Uncle Sam. Don't ask don't tell prevents you from having to deal with that ickyness, and hopefully after not being asked and not being able to tell McLuvsmen can become McNotgay.

See, it makes perfect sense.

Let's see. If I sitting in a foxhole with McLuvsmen, I am probably thinking about not getting killed. I would almost bet McLuvsmen is thinking about . . . not getting killed.

I doubt seriously if the first thing on anybody's mind in a foxhole is sex, but more likely staying alive, wishing the dirt wouldn't get in food, keeping warm, or when am I able to go home.

I would think "don't ask, don't tell" also protects the gay members of the military from discrimination. If no one knows then no one can discriminate against you for it.

Also I would think if you are openly gay that would probably open the door for some gay bashing and possibly fighting and unrest between army personal which is never a good thing. You want your guys all working together and not fighting each other.

I would not think it is a big deal especially if there have never been an incident with the person is question but if you open up and say you are gay in the military then some hot headed 19 year old may decide to take maters in his own hands which is an even bigger problem.

T

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom