Don't Be Surprised....... (1 Viewer)

iwitnesskr

Black and Gold toThe Bone
Reaction score
If on draft day, the Saints make a trade back into the 1st round by using 2009's first round pick.

This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and we are set to fix all of our defensive problems.

If the we can get two potential defensive starters in this draft, I wouldnt be opposed to it. You never know which prospects will be there in 2009, so I would be up for a move like this, b/c the 2008 defensive clas is phenomenal.

The only reason I would approve is because I think we could completely upgrade our defense with this draft.

Thoughts.

i would get excited if i saw the saints helmet pop up again on the draft board. but i would also be sad for the draft next year when there will be no first rounder. but losing the 32nd pick next year wouldn't be that big of a deal... :)

a 2009 first rounder is only worth a 2008 second rounder..

Brady Quinn was drafted with Dallas 2007 1st rounder.

I mean, the thinking is the Saints would want to get into the bottom half of the 1st round.

Picks 20-31.

Speculation of course, but IMHO a move like that would make sence due to thew large talent pool in this years class.

I wouldn't be mad if maybe we were able to come out of the draft with Dorsey or Ellis, and Cromartie or Cason, and our 2nd round pick.

i would get excited if i saw the saints helmet pop up again on the draft board. but i would also be sad for the draft next year when there will be no first rounder. but losing the 32nd pick next year wouldn't be that big of a deal... :)

We think alike.

NO don't trade next years 1st rounder, they will be guys in that draft that could come in and start next year also both of USC other linebackers will be in the next years 1st rounder and i hear they both better than Rivers.
Maybe we should go look at a 09 MOCK and see who all is projected in the 09 draft

So NO if anything trade later our later rounds for 09. then we could always trade down in the 1st round of 09 to get thoughs picks back...

NO don't trade next years 1st rounder, they will be guys in that draft that could come in and start next year also both of USC other linebackers will be in the next years 1st rounder and i hear they both better than Rivers.
Maybe we should go look at a 09 MOCK and see who all is projected in the 09 draft

So NO if anything trade later our later rounds for 09. then we could always trade down in the 1st round of 09 to get thoughs picks back...

My thinking is this,

Lets just pretend.

We take

#10 - DRC

Trade Back into the !st round

Say pick #22

Take- Cason, Talib, Laws, Lofton

2nd Round- Phillips.

I mean, there are so many options. Imagine getting 3 of the top 42 players in this years draft. That's a pic every 14 players. This would be the draft to do it.

I don't think we'll be in position to draft some of next years top talent, b/c this season is going to be special, and if we can get the talent now why wait.

Last edited:
I really like the idea because if there's any year to really beef up our roster for a Super Bowl run it's this one, and we'd be able to get Dorsey/Ellis, Connor, and Cason; or Rivers, Talib, Laws; etc to really improve the defense. That would allow us the flexibility of going RB/TE/G in in the third and DE after that.

On the other hand, you've got Jenkins, Rey M, and Laurinaitis coming out next year. It's a risk that one of them will be available when we pick next year, and I'm banking on us picking in the 20s again at worst, but you never know.

I'd still do it, especially if a guy like DRC, Merling, or Connor is there late in the first.

Don't be surprised if they trade down out of #10 and pick up multiple picks including the fourth they lost in the Vilma trade. Actually I expect the Saints to be very fluid in this draft. They may trade picks for players. But using the past few drafts as a guide they aren't just going to stand pat......

I think we keep the pick at #10.

There is too much talent to pass up at that spot. The only way we get out of that pick is if someone offers us a sweet deal.

I don't like the idea of trading down b/c you never know whats going on in the opponents draft room.

If the guy we want is there at 10, take him. Why risk losing him if he (whoever that guy may be), is the guy you want.

Brady Quinn was drafted with Dallas 2007 1st rounder.

That's true, but you misrepresented what it took to get that pick for Quinn. A 2009 1st rounder is indeed only worth a 2008 second rounder.

My thinking is this,

Lets just pretend.

We take

#10 - DRC

Trade Back into the !st round

Say pick #22

Take- Cason, Talib, Laws, Lofton

2nd Round- Phillips.

I mean, there are so many options. Imagine getting 3 of the top 42 players in this years draft. That's a pic every 14 players. This would be the draft to do it.

I don't think we'll be in position to draft some of next years top talent, b/c this season is going to be special, and if we can get the talent now why wait.

I don't think it happens. First off if Vilma blows up like i'm sure they expect him to, we could lose our second next year. I don't think they would allow us to go into a draft without 1st and 2nd round picks. But even if we did make the trade it would be next years first and this years second for a late 1st this year. So you can mark off that 2nd for phillips. We probably wouldn't consider Phillips anyways since the staff seems to like Bullocks. So now we've spend our first and second this year and first next year on two players. Those players better pan out. We may not pick till the third round next year. And what if next year's picks are high? It's easy to say they'll be low but who expected us to be picking 10th overall at this point a year ago? The last time we traded a future first it ended up being the 2nd overall pick in the draft. All it takes is a drew brees injury for our season to go right down the johnny flusher. Now who are the two players you have us taking.....two CBs? So we're going to give this year's second and next years first for a guy that's going to take a backseat to Mike Mckenzie when he comes back? Might as well just wait till next year. How many CBs are we going to carry? two first round picks this year, young, gay, mckenzie, david, craft....Guess we'll cut david and craft and go with Gay and a group of inexperienced guys until MM comes back? MLB Lofton? Didn't we possibly spend next year's 2nd on Vilma to play MLB?

That's true, but you misrepresented what it took to get that pick for Quinn. A 2009 1st rounder is indeed only worth a 2008 second rounder.

Exactly and they also gave up last year's second...so they gave up a 1st and 2nd for Quinn. That's what it has to be....a player that you see as a franchise QB to give up that much, Quinn and Boller were both selected in trades like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom