Don't expect miracles from a DC or scheme change (1 Viewer)

Check out Sanders Commings (6-0, 223) vs. Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter. {5 tackles, two ints}

Hell, I forgot winfield even existed, toiling in mediocrity over in minnesota :hihi:.

Dude, that video made me want Cordarrelle Patterson! Such explosion :D We have too many needs to spend a 1st rounder on a WR though. Wishful thinking.

Sanders Commings looks like he'd be a great slot/nickelback. Would love to have him too as a later round pick.
CBS has him ranked:

186 Sanders Commings CB 22 Georgia rSr 6-0 223 5-6th round

Check out Sanders Commings (6-0, 223) vs. Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter. {5 tackles, two ints}

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-oYC9wr_Nlk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Hell, I forgot winfield even existed, toiling in mediocrity over in minnesota :hihi:.

I don't know what to think about commings. He is pretty damn good in press at the college level but he doesn't have the hips and speed to run with most NFL receivers and offensive coordinators in the NFL will use motion to get speedsters matched up on him with a free release and if that happens he better have coverage rolled his way or it is going to be a huge play. So is he corner? Can you imagine a guy like Mike Wallace throwing a double move on him? I'll just have to see what he runs at the combine. Right now I think he is at best a corner in a Tampa 2 scheme. If he isn't a corner then is he a FS and a repeat of Malcolm Jenkins where you spend a draft pick on a guy you convert and hope it works out? Thing is, he is built even bigger than most free safeties and has the body of a big SS or RB. He reminds me a lot of Chris Gamble coming out of Ohio State. A guy that is a really good football player but his skill sets don't match up with many schemes. I'd rather have a corner that has height, long arms and speed than a guy that is 6' and bulky. He is the same weight as Jonathon Casillas.

My prediction, he runs a 4.65 at the combine, teams look at him and can't find where to fit him in and add that with his arrest for domestic violence and he is going to slip way down in the draft, may even go undrafted.

Dude, that video made me want Cordarrelle Patterson! Such explosion :D We have too many needs to spend a 1st rounder on a WR though. Wishful thinking.

Sanders Commings looks like he'd be a great slot/nickelback. Would love to have him too as a later round pick.
CBS has him ranked:

186 Sanders Commings CB 22 Georgia rSr 6-0 223 5-6th round

Patterson is good on slants but struggles to track down the deep ball in the air if he doesn't have about 5 steps on his man in coverage. He had some really bad drops of long TDs this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M

Stedman Bailey seems to have better ball skills and concentration .

I'd take Commings in that range. Look at it this way, Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder and Brandon Browner was undrafted.

I don't know what to think about commings. He is pretty damn good in press at the college level but he doesn't have the hips and speed to run with most NFL receivers and offensive coordinators in the NFL will use motion to get speedsters matched up on him with a free release and if that happens he better have coverage rolled his way or it is going to be a huge play. So is he corner? Can you imagine a guy like Mike Wallace throwing a double move on him? I'll just have to see what he runs at the combine. Right now I think he is at best a corner in a Tampa 2 scheme. If he isn't a corner then is he a FS and a repeat of Malcolm Jenkins where you spend a draft pick on a guy you convert and hope it works out? Thing is, he is built even bigger than most free safeties and has the body of a big SS or RB. He reminds me a lot of Chris Gamble coming out of Ohio State. A guy that is a really good football player but his skill sets don't match up with many schemes. I'd rather have a corner that has height, long arms and speed than a guy that is 6' and bulky. He is the same weight as Jonathon Casillas.

My prediction, he runs a 4.65 at the combine, teams look at him and can't find where to fit him in and add that with his arrest for domestic violence and he is going to slip way down in the draft, may even go undrafted.

A small guy throwing a double move on him works under two assumptions:

1) that he doesn't knock his his timing off at the LOS with a jam
2) there is no pass rush present to speak of to allow such a window of time to for a smaller receiver to get open.

Neither seemed to happen much to the sehawks this year but then we'd have to improve our pass rush to even compare.

Seattle led the league in points allowed and their slow secondary was big part of it. Brandon Browner ran a 4.63 two but their physical Press zone has their secondary as tops in the league

*Brandon Browner*|*Oregon State,*CB*:*2005 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

We'll have to wait to see his arm measurements at the combine, unless someone has them listed from the senior bowl.

I get a little tired of seeing very rationalized posts get stomped on because they're not "rah-rah" enough.

Very few DC's are capable of coming in and making serious improvement in the first season. I'm sure the Saints situation gives the candidates pause.

Couldn't agree more. Speaking from the chair I am sitting in; It was a horrendous decision to get rid of a D-Coordinator after one season!

I am still in disbelief. I was looking forward to seeing Spag's D next year. Second year of a D the players should know their assignments more clearly.

Like the OP, I think we are going to have yet another setback year on Defense. The Defense will have to learn a completely new scheme. It might gel or it might not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom