Dopesick on Hulu (2 Viewers)

just got around to watching episode 8. Just fantastic and sad. Only thing they really didn't get into was how it contributed to the heroin crisis that we have now. I guess they didn't want to get too far into speculation. But when they shut down the pain clinics, that is where the addicts had to turn. I was going to one of those pain clinics at around this time (03 through 05). I had legit back x-rays but it was pretty clear they weren't even needed. You just told the doctors what you wanted - just like that. Most everyone that walked out, did so with 3 scripts. Pain pills, a benzo and a muscle relaxer. I think the only thing that kept me from ending up like most was that my drug of choice was always alcohol. I don't know how much Purdue's aggressive sales tactics led to all those pop up pain clinics but clearly, from the tactics outlined in this series, they didn't have a problem with the extra income.

just got around to watching episode 8. Just fantastic and sad. Only thing they really didn't get into was how it contributed to the heroin crisis that we have now. I guess they didn't want to get too far into speculation. But when they shut down the pain clinics, that is where the addicts had to turn. I was going to one of those pain clinics at around this time (03 through 05). I had legit back x-rays but it was pretty clear they weren't even needed. You just told the doctors what you wanted - just like that. Most everyone that walked out, did so with 3 scripts. Pain pills, a benzo and a muscle relaxer. I think the only thing that kept me from ending up like most was that my drug of choice was always alcohol. I don't know how much Purdue's aggressive sales tactics led to all those pop up pain clinics but clearly, from the tactics outlined in this series, they didn't have a problem with the extra income.
It makes me think of just how close I was too. I have a chronic knee condition, and the ortho I was seeing from ~08 - ~11 was just giving me an endless script for Lortabs. If I had started going just a little earlier…
(Not that being on hydrocodone for 3 straight years was a good thing)

One of the best series ever for me, definitely in my top 10.

And I’d just like to add that the limited series format is my favorite. It’s basically a multipart movie. Not a fan of series that just go on indefinitely.

Movie length visual media usually feels short, and indefinite seasons usually end up feeling forced, and too long. I want a story where the originator has a beginning and end in mind — Fargo is about perfect and Dopesick is right up there.

Wife and I binged it a few weeks ago and forgot to post back in this thread. Awesome show, and terribly sad how many lives we're wrecked by not only the drug, but the company as well. Dawson and Keaton were both fantastic.

I never did take any pain meds so seeing this was new in a sense even though I've some shows that touched on it before. This show just brought the broader story to life. Wife and I have talked about the show a few times and it was pretty impactful on both of us. Just crazy how much a company with billions can get away with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom