Double standards (2 Viewers)

Well, I found what he said was deplorable and the Mariners thought so as well, so the benched him.
Screen_Shot_2016-09-23_at_1.40.51_PM.0.png
Screen_Shot_2016-09-23_at_1.41.03_PM.0.png

Okay, I just realized the dude was suspended for making the above tweets.

OP, if you can't see the difference between Kapernick's behavior - and the reasoning behind it - and this dude's tweeting tirades and the racist subtext to them, and you can't see why this dude's employer might be unhappy about what he said, I don't know what to tell you.

Double standards as usual. Silent majority will speak their minds come election time without repercussions.

Can't say what you want nowadays without offending someone. Glad that voting still is anonymous.

You're pretty anonymous here, too.

What is it you want to say that you can't because you're afraid of offending someone?

Do tell.

I see what you're saying. Although the First Amendment applies to state action, not private employers, the OP's thread title was "Double Standard," which I think is his main point. Since it's two different organizations, though - and I don't know what the Mariners dude said, so maybe his dismissal had nothing to do with his political view - it's hard to use this as proof of a double standard. If both players had been with the same organization and been treated differently, I would question why.

As far as the media treatment being different, when did the dismissal of the catcher happen? I haven't seen anything on it, but I haven't frequented any sports sites in a few days either.

I'm assuming the double standard he is alleging is the media coming to the defense of Kap but not the other guy.

Okay, I just realized the dude was suspended for making the above tweets.

OP, if you can't see the difference between Kapernick's behavior - and the reasoning behind it - and this dude's tweeting tirades and the racist subtext to them, and you can't see why this dude's employer might be unhappy about what he said, I don't know what to tell you.

So is it your right to judge what he said as right or wrong? I'm sure a lot of vets that had friends die in wars or cops and their families that have had brothers die find his socks pretty deplorable and borderline racist....

And if SF woulda benched him or dismissed him off the team like the Mariners did, and you don't think the media woulda have made it an even bigger issue followed by the protests/riots that would have ensued, I have some beachfront property I'll sell you in Iowa....

So is it your right to judge what he said as right or wrong?

Yes, just as it's yours.

And if SF woulda benched him or dismissed him off the team like the Mariners did, and you don't think the media woulda have made it an even bigger issue followed by the protests/riots that would have ensued, I have some beachfront property I'll sell you in Iowa....

I don't know what the media would have done, but I assume various outlets would cover it differently. Protests, maybe. Riots, no.

So is it your right to judge what he said as right or wrong? I'm sure a lot of vets that had friends die in wars or cops and their families that have had brothers die find his socks pretty deplorable and borderline racist....

I can't speak for all vets, but this Vet doesn't think of Kap's protest as un-American and borderline racist. But I will agree the wearing of the offensive socks did deter from his message. What do you think of the other athletes who are protesting? Are they as deplorable and borderline racist as Kapernick?

His socks were racist? How so?

To be fair, I don't think the OP is saying that Clavenger's rights were violated, but that the media came to Kap's rights' defense and not those of the catcher.
Because Kaepernick didn't say "Haha, white pigs getting shot is funny ****. Cracks me up when that happens. We need more pig blood." Had he said something that vulgar and strong to be equivalent to Clavenger, not many would be defending him if SF cut him, and trust me had he said that he would be cut. Wearing socks is not that direct, open, vulgar and strong in public as a statement on social media.

There's a difference here not only in political view, but in human decency. Saying it "cracks you up" when ******s get shot is pretty much worth firing from any job in America that isn't working for the Klan. What sales floor or office do you think you could get away with saying that in? That's a step beyond in sentiment and vulgarity than saying you think cops are corrupt.

To the OP, both players have the right to voice their opinion. Both team owners have the right to react as they choose.

It is up to the citizens to voice their opinion and apply pressure on the owners to react as the citizens wish. Both team owners probably could really care less about what their team members say. What they do care about is money and will make decisions based on that.

T don't blame the team owners. If enough people do not show up at a game because of Kapernic's action, I assure the team owner will take actions.

So if you want to get upset with somebody, get upset with the people that fail to voice their opinion.

The biggest thing here though is decorum and level, not political persuasion. If two guys have tasteful opposing political bumper stickers on their cars and occasionally argue in the show room about gay rights/marriage defense and remain respectful and decent neither is going to get fired. If the gay rights guy says out loud by customers "Trust me, no one [Performs Oral Sex] like a tranny." He's going to get fired. Not because he's liberal, but because he's violating expected public decorum and decency around customers.

He got cut because he basically screamed hateful vulgar things on social media and that reflects very badly on employers. I guarantee you living for 20+ years in Mariner's country that as sure as they'll make another bad trade they would have fired him had he been just as vulgar talking about cops getting theirs. It has nothing to do with double standards. Only an idiot couldn't see the difference in why an employer would react differently and it's not politics.

The biggest thing here though is decorum and level, not political persuasion. If two guys have tasteful opposing political bumper stickers on their cars and occasionally argue in the show room about gay rights/marriage defense and remain respectful and decent neither is going to get fired. If the gay rights guy says out loud by customers "Trust me, no one sucks a cork like a tranny." He's going to get fired. Not because he's liberal, but because he's violating expected public decorum and decency around customers.

He got cut because he basically screamed hateful vulgar things on social media and that reflects very badly on employers. I guarantee you living for 20+ years in Mariner's country that as sure as they'll make another bad trade they would have fired him had he been just as vulgar talking about cops getting theirs. It has nothing to do with double standards. Only an idiot couldn't see the difference in why an employer would react differently and it's not politics.

You might want to edit your post, although the offending statement is completely correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom