Double standards (1 Viewer)

Racism is about having the power to act on that prejudice
No it isn't not.

Institutional racism is.

Racism does not need power. I wish people would stop implying that, because it is NOT true. People who change the definition of a word to fit their ideology or political position do their ideology or political position a disservice.

Gave this thread 5 stars, not bad for an internet discussion about racism, lots to think about and different perspectives I'm impressed with Saints fans

No it isn't not.

Institutional racism is.

Racism does not need power. I wish people would stop implying that, because it is NOT true. People who change the definition of a word to fit their ideology or political position do their ideology or political position a disservice.

since "race" is a manufactured term/manufactured distinction to begin created to perpetuate the hierarchy of "race", the "institution of racism" is part and parcel with the word

yes, we can also have a word for heterophobia, but it's suplerfluous

to xpuma's point - say we have 10 white guys punching a black guy and the black guy punches back - is it important to draw in the neither side should punch the other side
the sole purpose of that line of discussion seems to be to mitigate the behavior of the 10

since "race" is a manufactured term/manufactured distinction to begin created to perpetuate the hierarchy of "race", the "institution of racism" is part and parcel with the word

yes, we can also have a word for heterophobia, but it's suplerfluous

to xpuma's point - say we have 10 white guys punching a black guy and the black guy punches back - is it important to draw in the neither side should punch the other side
the sole purpose of that line of discussion seems to be to mitigate the behavior of the 10

I hope you don't think that is what I'm doing.

I'm simply pointing out that there are obvious double standards in a thread titled "double standards". It makes neither right.

since "race" is a manufactured term/manufactured distinction
No it's not. I mean, not any more than any other term or word is manufactured.

Has a black man experienced racism when a lady clutches her purse tighter in the elevator or when someone walks on the other side of the street? Where is the "institution" in that?

Too many people assume racism is an "ism" like Liberalism or Libertarianism or facism or whatever. It's not.

Any race can be racist; any race can experience racism. Again, arguing the opposite does a huge disservice to the argument by the arguee. Is all racism the same, or as prevalent? Hell no. But it doesn't only exist for specific races.

I think it comes from people widely and often conflating racism with discrimination, almost to the point that it's often unclear which they mean in which proportion. There's a reason both words exist, but it gets lost when they get munged so much. Same has happened to the extreme with vagina for inner sheath and vulva for outer genitalia. It's gotten so bad that even educated people or doctors will use vagina to refer to vulva.

b, I know you're hurting about your encounter. It sounds like he lashed out at you over his situation in general. Just hang in there and don't burn any bridges. I'm sure he's hurting as well. It may be when things cool off you can both have a dialogue.

I think it comes from people widely and often conflating racism with discrimination, almost to the point that it's often unclear which they mean in which proportion. There's a reason both words exist, but it gets lost when they get munged so much. Same has happened to the extreme with vagina for inner sheath and vulva for outer genitalia. It's gotten so bad that even educated people or doctors will use vagina to refer to vulva.

Pink lips matter.

Race (classification of human beings)

^for funsies
in that there is no fundamental thing as "race" there will never be a true definition of race and thus racism (and it's not that there is ambiguity at play like there is with gender and sexuality, it's that "race" was an idea created to divide people into taxonomic categories to give justification for discrimination and abuse)

i will continue to assert that "race" is tied to power and forced hierarchies - and that "bigotry" and "prejudice" are capable terms for describing the bad behavior/thoughts one person/group might have against another person/group that looks different
However, if someone does not want to accept that term, then we're at a semantic impasse:idunno:

i fully recognize that getting bogged down too much in the semantics is not helpful -while also acknowledging that the "they're racist too" is most always a red herring meant to distract from the abuse of power discussion

all that being said, let's hear more about this vagina/vulva stuff

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom