Dow cracks 20,000 (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Currently resting at 20,072 with some time left in trading today.

If I had stocks outside of retirement accounts I would have shorted like hell in November.

Who knew?

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score
Well all the pundits were saying the dow would fall under Trump guess not.
thanks Donald.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
thanks Donald.
Certainly not all - but indeed many were. I think what their analysis failed to predict was that, upon a Trump victory, the market would immediately price in corporate tax cuts and a relaxed regulatory environment. The market always tries to get ahead of actual developments, it is inherently forward-looking. And certainly tax cuts and reduced regulatory burden will increase corporate profits, and result in greater share prices - and the forward-looking market is willing to pay for that now.

Of course, any sign of failing to deliver those expectations will result in pull-backs. Similarly, actual delivery on those policies could drive in further increases when the bean-counters are able to run the actual projections. But the market and economy were in very good shape before the election and those two main areas (tax and regulation) as a result of Trump's win have caused this 10% spike.

On the other hand, the pre-election naysayers were more focused on the long-term effects of Trump policies . . . most notably on trade restrictions and on the federal debt. Those things remain very unknown at this point and its certainly possible that Trump trade policy could be very negative on the market, depending on how it is executed. So it could be that those predictions were also correct, just much further out in horizon.

We'll just to wait and see. This 10% across the board jump has been nice for sure.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
thanks Donald.
Life comes at you fast, I guess.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump repeated his criticism that the Federal Reserve has created a"bubble" and an "artificial stock market" through low rates that were designed to benefit President Obama.

"They're keeping the rates artificially low so that Obama can go out and play golf in January and say that he did a good job," Trump told reporters Monday aboard a flight to Youngstown, Ohio. "It's a very false economy."

The billionaire added that Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen has "done a political job" and responded to the possibility of a rate hike in September by saying the low-rate environment has been "created until January."
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rump-says-artificial-stock-market-is-a-bubble

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
thanks Donald.
I find it quite funny how some are so quick to praise trump for raising the Dow to 20000. Let's not forget there was a guy who took over when the Dow was barely 6000 and the economy was total crap and due to his leadership brought the country back from total disaster. The Dow rose from mid 6000 to mid 18000. The jobless rate cut from 10 to less than 5 percent. Gas prices from over 5 dollars to below 2 dollars. These are just a few things accomplished by the other guy. Where is the thanks????? Glad to see you are impressed with trump, but many of us are not that impressed and I surely won't thank him for such a small gain in the Dow. I would say that he inherited quite the economy from the other guy. I'll be impressed when the Dow reaches 33000 which would be the same amount it rose under the other guy. I'll be impressed when the jobless rate reaches ZERO, which still wouldn't equal the success of the other guy. I'll be impressed when gas drops to .50 cents a gallon which would still not equal the drop achieved by the other guy. Also let's not forget the other guy didn't have the full support like trump will have.

So you continue to thank trump for what he says he might do. I'll thank the other guy that made it happen with little help. THANKS OBAMA FOR A JOB WELL DONE.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
i find it quite funny how some are so quick to praise trump for raising the dow to 20000. Let's not forget there was a guy who took over when the dow was barely 6000 and the economy was total crap and due to his leadership brought the country back from total disaster. The dow rose from mid 6000 to mid 18000. The jobless rate cut from 10 to less than 5 percent. Gas prices from over 5 dollars to below 2 dollars. These are just a few things accomplished by the other guy. Where is the thanks????? Glad to see you are impressed with trump, but many of us are not that impressed and i surely won't thank him for such a small gain in the dow. I would say that he inherited quite the economy from the other guy. I'll be impressed when the dow reaches 33000 which would be the same amount it rose under the other guy. I'll be impressed when the jobless rate reaches zero, which still wouldn't equal the success of the other guy. I'll be impressed when gas drops to .50 cents a gallon which would still not equal the drop achieved by the other guy. Also let's not forget the other guy didn't have the full support like trump will have.

So you continue to thank trump for what he says he might do. I'll thank the other guy that made it happen with little help. Thanks Obama for a job well done.
Thanks Obama.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
well, easy come, easy go. Didn't take trump long to open his pie hole and step on his own crankcase.
Stock market seems to have been going up much faster than the overall economy for a long time. Something has to give. A bubble in there somewhere.

Trump is totally incompetent and in way over his head, but we're overdue a stock market crash.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's tricky because many small investors missed this rally. There is still much money sitting on the outside. That said, all it takes is a couple Warren Buffet types to cash out and the rest of the sheep follow the herd

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The fear index at one pointed jumped 20% from negative territory and it settled at 12%. It definitely caused by Trump opening his pie hole.

Saildawg

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought about shorting airline stocks when he issued his executive order barring immigration. Looks like that would have been the smart move. I wonder how many in his inner circle did just that?

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think a drop of 0.6% could be truly considered volatility though. Now I'm not saying we won't get volatility at some point, just that point isn't here as of today.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think a drop of 0.6% could be truly considered volatility though. Now I'm not saying we won't get volatility at some point, just that point isn't here as of today.

The VIX was up more than 12% today. It's significant - but it has been unusually low for months now. I agree that it would have to continue to rise to get to meaningful volatility levels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom