Dr. Anderson might evaluate Thomas before Packers game (1 Viewer)

The history of coming back too soon from soft tissue injuries is almost all bad.

Sit out through the bye, Mike. The Saints can beat the Raiders, Lions, and Chargers without you.

If the team goes into the bye 4-1 with a 100% Mike Thomas coming out the other side of it, that's a great place to be.
This. If he plays too soon, I fear compensatory injury. You can be as tough as you like but soft tissue takes time to heal. You can't simply, tape it up.

Please don’t rush back like Kamara did last year.

The history of coming back too soon from soft tissue injuries is almost all bad.

Sit out through the bye, Mike. The Saints can beat the Raiders, Lions, and Chargers without you.

If the team goes into the bye 4-1 with a 100% Mike Thomas coming out the other side of it, that's a great place to be.

I don’t get it... the Packers beat up on a Vikings team that looks like hot garbage, and then beat a Lions team that’s, well, the Lions..

The Packers are the same team that soiled themselves twice last year when they had to face the 49ers, and the Saints are a better team than SF.
A loss to the Packers would be a great disappointment

I know people are skittish about Thomas returning too soon, but the thing about Thomas' injury is it looked very minor. He pulled his feet out so quickly that I I thought he didn't even injure himself. If it was a severe high ankle sprain, then I would agree that he should sit until after the bye, but I think he may be fine this week, much less waiting until after the bye. I know the Saints are being cautious by keeping him out this week, and I'm not a doctor, but I believe he is fine. I wonder if it was swollen after the incident, and how much it swole?

Nearly all soft injuries are tears of something: muscle fiber, tendons, ligaments, even cartledge. So the body tries to protect that injury and produces a ton of new soft tissue. Much of this tissue turns into scar tissue. As strength is regained in the injured area, the scar tissue limits the players' ability to perform at the same level as previously. Any of you ever had to rehab a soft tear know well the process of stretching the scar tissue to regain full movement. This is probably not exact detail medical, but its in the neighborhood.

A high ankle sprain is a tear which can keep a player injured for 4-8 weeks. With MT, I am with those that are saying "sit him." The fact that he is going to see Andrews, the clear best in his field, is a little concerning, however it may just be to get his approval to start playing sooner. We shall see

I know people are skittish about Thomas returning too soon, but the thing about Thomas' injury is it looked very minor. He pulled his feet out so quickly that I I thought he didn't even injure himself. If it was a severe high ankle sprain, then I would agree that he should sit until after the bye, but I think he may be fine this week, much less waiting until after the bye. I know the Saints are being cautious by keeping him out this week, and I'm not a doctor, but I believe he is fine. I wonder if it was swollen after the incident, and how much it swole?

It could have been worse...I agree. But even mild-to-moderate high ankle sprains typically have a return to play of about 4-6 weeks. This isn't a lateral ankle sprain where the ankle can be braced and get them back in 1-2 weeks. Kamara had what looked like a mild high ankle sprain last year...they braced his ankle, and I'd be surprised if it didn't change his biomechanics enough to contribute to his knee sprain that essentially ruined his season last year. There are significant risks of playing injury...re-injury, chronic pain, and compensatory injuries. All of that will very likely be avoided if they just wait a few weeks to get him back on the field.

A high ankle sprain is a tear which can keep a player injured for 4-8 weeks. With MT, I am with those that are saying "sit him." The fact that he is going to see Andrews, the clear best in his field, is a little concerning, however it may just be to get his approval to start playing sooner. We shall see
Thomas is going to see Dr. James Andrews?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom