Draft a Mis-match Creator & Mis-match Neutralizer (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Mis-match creator = a player, whose unique skills/size/athletic ability - at his position - pose problems for the opposition to defend with conventional wisdom/methods.

(Think Reggie Bush, Daren Sproles, Jimmy Graham, Desean Jackson, Josh Gordon, ect)

Teams have to defend these guys with either multiple defenders OR a mis-match neutralizer.

Mis-match neautralizer = a player, whose unique skills/size/athletic ability - at his position - allow him to defend or neutralize a threat most others at his position can't do on their own.

(think a healthy/prime version of Troy Polamalu, Kenny Vaccaro, Earl Thomas, ect)

Having one of these guys, you can neutralize that hybrid TE with your Safety while you your CB covers the WR he has to cover. Simply, the hybrid S negates the hybrid TE.

___

A innovative coach will take these Mis-match creators & neutralizers and wreak havoc for the opposition, on both offense and defense, changing trends, changing philosophies, and changing how all other teams are trying to build.

How many teams are trying to draft their very own version of Reggie Bush/Daren Sproles role?

How many teams are looking for an Antonio Gates/Jimmy Graham?

How many teams are looking for Troy Polamalu clones?

If you have a chance to draft the kind of guys that create mis-matches, or neutralize them, you jump on it.

For this reason, I would really really love to see the Saints mortgage the future and trade up twice - once to draft Odell Beckham, and another to draft Calvin Pryor.

I know we have two great safeties. But just like Mis-match creators, you can never have too many neutralizers. Imagine the innovation that would come from having Pryor, Byrd, and Vaccaro on the field at the same time. Who would you rather-- a crappy Nickle CB or a top rated hybrid S at nickle?

ODB3 is a necessity because he's the missing piece to this offense that will make it flourish. In addition, he's a true talent, not a system dollar tree WR one trick pony-- he can create on his own accord, despite scheme. Oh, and he can return punts too.

I'd give up 1&3 next year, as well as 1&3 this year in order to somehow acquire both Pryor and Beckham.

Nothing against Beckham, but what in his career so far indicates that he will be "unique"? I can see him being a very good receiver, but he isn't a matchup nightmare by any stretch.

And Calvin Pryor by all accounts seems to be your prototypical "center fielder" type of free safety. not sure how that is unique either.

If we were to go with this philosophy, the first two players that come to mind on each side of the ball are Brandin Cooks and Jimmie Ward.

I think your "mismatch-neutralizer" at the safety position is a mythical being.

Palomalou in his prime would never be able to contain Jimmy Graham. There isn't a safety in the NFL that would have a favorable matchup against someone like Graham.

We need WR that keeps teams best corners off of Jimmy Graham in order to take advantage of the fact that linebackers and safeties physically can't compete with Graham.

I'm with you with regard to moving up. If your willing to give up that many picks why not trade up to get Watkins?

I think your "mismatch-neutralizer" at the safety position is a mythical being.

Palomalou in his prime would never be able to contain Jimmy Graham. There isn't a safety in the NFL that would have a favorable matchup against someone like Graham.

We need WR that keeps teams best corners off of Jimmy Graham in order to take advantage of the fact that linebackers and safeties physically can't compete with Graham.

I'm with you with regard to moving up. If your willing to give up that many picks why not trade up to get Watkins?

I'm willing to give up that much for TWO difference makers-- one who expands the passing game by bringing dynamic versatility, and another who helps neutralize the same thing with his defensive versatility. ODB3 has everything Tevon Austin had, plus SIZE and the fact he has on film every pro route in the book playing under Cam Cameron-- something Austin didn't translate with. Adding Pryor would give you two competent safeties who aren't a liability in coverage nor run support, while allowing Vaccaro to be that true wild-card.

It's about flexibility and versatility, and adding these two, or two similar players, would allow much more flexibility and versatility on both sides of the ball.

The draft is and always will be a crap shoot. You can feel pretty confident but never can feel 100% confident that any player will be that miss match creator or miss match neutralizer.While most feel that Watkins is that type of player I'd give it maybe 60-65 % chance of being right. I'd give up a 1 and a 3 for him. But no way am I gonna gamble my teams future for the next 5 yrs by giving up 2-1's and 2-3's in the next 2 yrs , that's too much to bet on a crap shoot

I have a better idea, but similar:

1.) We trade up to get Cooks or OBJ (this years first and next years 3rd).

2.) Trade up to get into the beginning of round 2 (this years 2nd and next years 7th).

3.) Draft Donte Moncreif.

4.) Draft Antone Exum (for a defensive neutralizer). He excels at FS, SS, and CB. Let him redshirt his rookie year (recovery from injury) and let him learn from Bryd/Vacarro/Bush/Lewis (some of the best in the business).

Final product:
Offense- Cooks/OBJ and Moncreif

Defense- Exum

Cost to aquire- Next years 3rd and 7th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom