Draft Anything but LB in the first. (1 Viewer)

tophergillock

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I am starting to agree with the very small percentage of you guys that we should not draft a OLB in the first. We need a sure thing not a prospect, and most of these guys are just potential right now.

Ansah - For all the Ansah supporters, he will be long gone by the time we pick. Also I think he is just to raw at this point. When watching film he is good...but not great. He has the potential to transform into a great player but it will take a couple years in my opinion.

Dion Jordan - the only LB I would truly think about taking. He is fluid, did great in the combine, and looked like the real deal on film. Probably won't be there though.

Mingo - I know he was out of position at LSU, but he gets taken out of plays way to often. He actually scares me as a potential pick. Put a big quick (NFL) OT on him and he will disappear just like in college. He is one of those guys that will have a really good game for a team and then disappear for three games.

Jarvis Jones - Interesting here. I actually like him. Great hustle guy, can pass rush with the best of them. The spine condition scares me, as well as his size.

Other Options Instead of LB

Star Lotulelei - If we consider a player like Jones that has a potential major condition, I would rather take Star. His condition might be potentially worse but his presence in a game and his ceiling is much higher.

Lane Johnsin - Joeckel and Fisher will not be there, but the more I watch Lane Johnson the more I like him. (Maybe even more than Fisher.) Even if Bushrod comes back I would still consider taking this kid. Good tackles are a commodity in the NFL and we really need to fill both positions.

Warmack and Cooper - OG is not a position that we really need to upgrade (though I don't think Grubbs played as well as everyone hoped). SP, however covets that position as well as Drew. These guys are the real deal and could solidify our line for the future.

Vaccaro and Trufant - I am not on the Xavier Rhodes bandwagon like some around here. We have enough corners that can't tackle well. Trufant, however, is a solid, fast kid with great instincts.(Actually my favorite CB in the draft). Vaccaro is a sure tackler and very instinctual, he will need to work on his coverage however.

Patterson and Austin - I know these are offensive guys, but these two will be studs. Our WR group is getting older, often injured, and besides Morgan are mostly possession receivers. We need a guy who can get separation, and both of these guys do just that. They separate, find soft spots in zone, and can catch. I like Patterson more, but I think Austin is a better fit for us.

I actually am leaning more towards wanting an offensive guy (Oline or WR), over some of the defensive guys in the first. With the depth in defense this year an offensive guy might actually be the smartest choice in the first round and then stock up on D. The first 14 picks will be mostly defense (outside of some Oline) leaving the great offensive players still on the board.

Picking a top tier player is tricky. The more defensive players get picked the more diluted the talent becomes on that side of the ball, leaving higher talent on the offensive side. I just don't want us to reach for potential or make a pick that is safe but has a low ceiling.

There are no sure things in this draft and typically WRs are hit and miss early in the draft. There is no way we should draft a guard. An OT makes a lot of sense especially if Bushrod bolts, but I am not sure that even Johnson will be there for us at 15. If Lotulelei checks out medically, he will be long gone by our pick.

Im with u.

Jordan
Jones
Ansah are the 3 OLBs id go with1st.

The rest im iffy about so id go a dif direction.

Yeah, there are no sure things as far as pass rushers go in this draft.

But Im always scared of the so called "sure things" also. At the end of the day, I just hope we draft a playmaker on defense. Be it OLB, DE, DT, CB, S whatever. No one on offense blows me a way IMO for us to take them at #15 although I love Tavon Austin, I wouldnt want him at #15.

Until we see what happens in free agency, nothing we think today matters.

I totally disagree about Grubbs not playing up to expectations. Matter of fact, he was rated higher than Nicks was in Tampa before his injury. Grubbs was fine.

The last high round OL we drafted was Charles Brown and that's not really working out so far. I see us going BPA, as per the usual Saints' strategy, and I really think that'll be a defensive player. No doubt we will pick up someone on the OL in the draft, but I think our history of developing mid/late rounders into starters says we'll do it in that position.

I'm an advocate for Austin. The draft is DEEP on the defensive side of the ball. It's not often you get a guy like Austin to fall in your lap. We all know how Sean Payton likes to have his toys. Just imagine the things he could do with this kid. Imagine our return game.

Until we see what happens in free agency, nothing we think today matters.

I totally disagree about Grubbs not playing up to expectations. Matter of fact, he was rated higher than Nicks was in Tampa before his injury. Grubbs was fine.

The last high round OL we drafted was Charles Brown and that's not really working out so far. I see us going BPA, as per the usual Saints' strategy, and I really think that'll be a defensive player. No doubt we will pick up someone on the OL in the draft, but I think our history of developing mid/late rounders into starters says we'll do it in that position.

Grubbs did play better as the season went along, but the first few games were not impressive. I honestly think we drafted Brown because SP liked that he played some TE. I think he was hoping to develop a guy that could be a starting RT and a tackle that could sneak into the endzone in goal line formations. (Kinda like the Pats use) He actually played well before getting injured.

I'm an advocate for Austin. The draft is DEEP on the defensive side of the ball. It's not often you get a guy like Austin to fall in your lap. We all know how Sean Payton likes to have his toys. Just imagine the things he could do with this kid. Imagine our return game.

I agree. Austin could flourish in this system. WR, RB, return guy. He can do it all.

Just be a playmaker on defense, I don't care where they line up just be someone that can help improve the defensive side of the ball

My only thing is, if you look at some of the 3-4 outside rushers that have come out in recent years, they tend to jump right into and be productive out of the gate.

Namely- Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman(before his injury), Clay Mathews, Brian Cushing, Aldon Smith, etc.

Of course there are some sprinkled in that have been "meh" like Larry English and Vernon Gholston but i think history has been more favorable to OLB in a 3-4 alignment.

Consider me one that doesnt mind a LBer being picked, but i am putting all my faith in Loomis and Co.

I just think game film is more important then combine measurables. Some of the game film on these guys does not impress me.

There is no such thing as a sure thing. Jason Smith and Aaron Curry were supposed to be sure things and they've been anything but. Malcolm Jenkins was supposed to be a safe pick, as was Ellis and look how those 2 panned out for us.

I agree. Austin could flourish in this system. WR, RB, return guy. He can do it all.

Why draft him when we already have a player like Sproles.

Worst defense in league history. That tells me we need to upgrade whether it be defensive line, linebacker, or secondary.

The only way I dont draft a defensive player with the 1st round pick is if we need to replace Bushrod.

I agree, too many prospects for OLB in every rd, and not much difference, when you draft early, it should be QB, OT, CB some say other spots, but projecting players for the 3-4 OLB is just a projection , more than if we were looking at 4-3 OLBs, because in most cases they played DE in college. 1st picks cost a lot, and need to be of some kind of help, not complete losses, and that is my fear with going for one of those with pick 15.

Why draft him when we already have a player like Sproles.

Worst defense in league history. That tells me we need to upgrade whether it be defensive line, linebacker, or secondary.

The only way I dont draft a defensive player with the 1st round pick is if we need to replace Bushrod.

Sproles is not getting any younger and though he is a great out of the backfield he is not a guy who can be a WR on a regular basis. Too small. He is also quick but not fast. His short legs makes his top speed limited. We need a harvin/desean Jackson(but better) type of guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom